• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Daft Question - can my rabbits exercise outdoors in the rain?

Cob-Web

Warren Scout
I'm trying to make sure I do the best for my two rescue lion heads - at present I am using a run separate from their hutch (although I hope to upgrade their accommodation in the summer) and want to be sure whether I can put them out for exercise if the ground is damp or it is drizzling, or would I be better exercising them indoors on those days?

I will put a shelter in the run to give them off-the-ground shelter, but is it better to keep them in the dry?

I know that you can buy hutches with attached runs on, so bunnies can have access to the outside all the time; do rabbits go outside in the rain if they have access to it? :?

I always let my buns choose. They tend to stay in the sheltered parts when it's raining, but sometimes they like to be out in it.

My lot love the rain, they can go into their nice warm house if they wish but they tend to stay out for a while. I just towel dry them before I shut them in for the night.

If it's torrential rain all day long, they stay in their hutch with the plastic cover over them, but if it's showery, or just light rain/drizzle, they go out into their separate run.

i would let them out they usually shelter if its raining to much however dont let them get soaking wet or they will likely catch a chill!!!

As long as you provide somewhere warm. dry and windproof in the run where they can shelter if they wish, it's not a problem.

My 2 have a double hutch with separate run but it is attached via a massive wooden tunnel/covered ramp my hubby made and they access this via a catflap. They have a plastic cover if its raining but I put a ground sheet over one end of their run so if they want to go out they can still shelter.

Can you not alter their hutch so the run can fit to it and then they have the option? Mine do still tend to sit out in the rain but I just towel them dry.

Back