• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My guineas

Lillian

Warren Veteran
Dandelion and Ruby have been moved from the shed into my bedroom today, Since rubys sister Penny died two weeks ago, Ruby has hardly eaten and isnt doing anything and my mum was scared that she was going to die aswell. So now they are in my room. What can you do for a grieving guinea?
My room is getting far too crowded, 3 rats, a hamster, a gerbil, a spiny mouse and now two guinea :?

I don't think she'd even remember her sister for that long - are you sure she's not ill too - has a vet seen her? How old is she and has she had her teeth checked? I had 2 brothers died recently and when the first one died the other one didn't seem bothered at all - in fact he seemed happier and friendlier, so I'd get Ruby checked over thoroughly incase she's ill. When my 2nd boy died I figured it must have been something genetic though :(

Since shes been indoors she had some hay and some carrot.
And seems alittle bit more alert. If she doesnt improve anymore by
tomorrow evening then i'll get my mum to get a vets appointment.
Shes under a year old, and seems to have fine teeth, shes not having
trouble eating, she doesnt seem particually interested in food.

I'd get her checked out at the vets just in case. In the meantime, have you got any Metatone? It's a tonic for humans but helps to stimulate appetites in guinea pigs, a few mls in a syringe one a day may help.

Def get her along to the vets asap, it could well be her teeth (can't see the back ones) as quite often with pigs it can seem like they are eating something but really the back teeth have bridged and it just falls out their mouth. Would explain the lack of enthusiasm to eat too. A full check over will rule out any other probs too.

my guineas are fine now, Ruby is eating normally, going to toilet ect.. She seems fine :D Seems bringing them indoors has made a huge improvement, i think i will keep them in until spring, when it starts to warm up :D it great watching them running about squeaking

Back