• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stubborn to litter train - HELP!!

Woodlouse

Mama Doe
Our girlie Sienna is being a right little madam when it comes to litter training! She has been with us since the beginning of January and seemed to quickly grasp the idea of only going in the tray. Then when Trix arrived we moved her to another room (with all of her familiar trays) and she seemed to lose the nack somewhat. Have now bonded her in with Ant, Hoops and Trix and she's being a complete nightmare! The bunny room was covered in puddles last night :(

They're down in the lounge with us now and have 2 large litter trays at their disposal and she knows full well where they are. Yet we've spent all afternoon watching her and telling her off when she goes on the carpet. We're cleaning up the wee quickly, putting the kitchen roll in litter tray and spraying the carpet. It's not like she keeps going in the same place though!

Any suggestions for litter training a stubborn bun ??? Please!! Have never had probs training them before...

Last edited:
I was going to suggest moving the litters trays to where she's peeing, but if it's not in the same place then I'm not sure. :?

Good luck, shame I have no useful ideas.

Hang on, have you tried starting from the beginning again, confining her to a smaller space but in the same room with a litter tray, so she's not got the run of the whole room. Then grdually give her more space once she starts using the litter tray again.

Hang on, have you tried starting from the beginning again, confining her to a smaller space but in the same room with a litter tray, so she's not got the run of the whole room. Then grdually give her more space once she starts using the litter tray again.

I agree, they do seem to be worse in a big space, maybe cornering the room of for a while.

:wave:

i had problems training gizmo before castration then after op he learnt that he could only wee/poop in his dog crate but he would pee in the corner of the dog crate so i guess he was half litter trained, i managed to put the litter tray in the corner he was peeing in and i put a rectangle bowl i have infront of the tray so now he is finally using the litter tray, could you try something similar?:D:wave:

I agree, they do seem to be worse in a big space, maybe cornering the room of for a while.

:wave:

Problem is that there are the other 3 aswell and I feel bad keeping them in small space! That said, she's been in a small bathroom for a week and still not got the hang of it!!
Very frustrating :?

It might just be that she's still finding her feet and place in the bunny room, maybe it's her little bit of defiance having lost the top girlie place to Hoops? If she was happy litter trained before it seems a deliberate act rather than a lack of comprehension, so maybe just a bit of time and she'll start using them again?

Bumping this thread up cos Sienna is STILL not getting it :( Despite many hours of us watching her bum, telling her off when she wees and herding her into the litter tray. Any suggestions? Considering putting her into the crate for a bit (still in bunny room with others) but will this affect their bond? And will it actually help?! She doesn't seem to be getting it when we're "teaching" her ... will she really teach herself?!

HELP!!! Very frustrated! If she's to stay a house bun then she has GOT to get this litter training sorted!

Does she ever use the litter tray?

I ask because Frasier uses the litter tray and understands what its for. But he still wee's on the floor and poops. I find it very boring cleaning up rabbit wee and I tell him so but then he lets me have a lovely big snuggle cuddle and I seem to forget what I was moaning about.:oops::lol:

With Frasier I think its territorial. He wants to put his scent everywhere to mark it as his home. Maybe she is doing this too? Girls are supposed to be more territorial than boys but mine are the other way round.

Do you use the vinegar and water mix to clean it? Its very good for removing the stain and smell. But so far Frasier is still doing it. Someone else mentioned biological washing liquid helps get rid it of the scent to deter them.

Thought I'd add that the other bunnies might teach her as she goes along to use the litter tray. Beatrix had no idea of using a tray at first but then she copied Darcy and Annie after a week or so and is good now. :D

Definitely think it's a territorial thing. She was perfectly trained for about 5 days before we moved her upstairs and then it all went wrong! It's always around the edge of the room and not in any particular place :(

Yes, I do think she sometimes uses the tray and there are times when we think we're making progress .... but then it all goes wrong again! Our hope was that she would learn from Ant and Hoops, who are brilliant. Trix seems to have learnt but Sienna is being stubborn! Grrrr!

I found this happened when I bonded my four :shock: Poopers everywhere :shock: Its taken about 2 months for them all to get trained again :D Deffo territorial :roll:

Back