• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Bonding

leti2pets

Young Bun
I have a neutered male and 2 females. The male gets along fine with the girls, but the girls seem to hate each other. Is it possible to either make the girls like eachother or to have the male bond to each girl seperately? or should I just let my boy be with one of the girls?

Are the girls neutered? If not they are still very hormonal, I think spaying would help this.

Oh and welcome to RU, you've come to the right place :D :wave:

:wave: is there a spayday coming up in your state?

http://www.hsus.org/pets/issues_aff...lation_and_ownership_statistics/spay_day_usa/

sometimes its not the sex of the bunny that nakes it so hard..its the personality of the bunny...two bossy top buns arent going to bond easy at all..i did it with bif and willow but a week or so later theyd got stressed out over the holidays and undid months of hard work...

if not spayed they will NEVER get on and if you put one with the male who isnt done then go figure..babies! or if hes done and she isnt.he wil want to hump her nayway and shell get well nasty i warn you..plus she will have phantom pregancies and risk getting cancer of her reproductive organs...

i know its hard but if you cant do it right away then either ask the vet for a payment plan or see if thespay day applies to you.:wave:

All the spay days that are close enough for me to attend appear to be only for dogs and cats. Also I have heard that the girls are less likely to have reproductive cancer if they have been bred, and both of mine have been. One came pregnant and the other was a major oops (didn't know my friends rabbit could open his cage). My neutered male has had no problems with either female and a have not noticed any phantom pregnancies.
I mostly want to know if I should continue allowing my boy to interact with both girls (seperately) or if he should be limited to one and if it is possible that my girls can get along.

As already said, the girls need to be spayed if they are going to get along. The boy should be bonded with one or both. Once bonded, bunnies shouldn't bit split up again. Also, its not true that females that have had a litter are less prone to cancers. They have just the same risk as an unbred, un-neutered female.

Also I have heard that the girls are less likely to have reproductive cancer if they have been bred, and both of mine have been.

That is true to a certain extent, even less likely if they've been spayed. But the issue here is the two girls getting along, not the health benefits of spaying. Female unspayed rabbits are too teritorial to get along and will just attack each other, they'll either have to spayed or separated. It's very rare for two unspayed girlies to get on with each other. Your only option is to separate the girls and keep the boy with just one, or neuter both girls so they can all live together. It is expensive but definately worth it.

Last edited:
Back