PDA

View Full Version : Getting bales of hay home

sillyrabbit
26-01-2008, 03:52 PM
How on earth do you get it home without making a huge mess in the car :shock: It just about squeezed into my car and its impossible to get a bale in and keep a sheet underneath it just moves when I put the hay in :lol: I cant even hoover it there is so much Im going to have to get it all out by hand :shock:

Im pleased though I got a bale for only 9 and it smells lovely and is nice and green :D

mit
26-01-2008, 03:56 PM
I got Two X LARGE Black Bin Liners and put one on each side of the bale, thus covering the bale in whole, i then have the mission of pushing and squeezing and rammping it in my boat. Not that is a sight! lol.

m
xx

sillyrabbit
26-01-2008, 04:09 PM
Thats a really good idea :D Thanks :lol:

Its still in my car :shock: I dont know how I am going to get it out and into my garden :lol: x

Julia123
26-01-2008, 04:14 PM
My car is full of hay and i even found a poo on the passenger seat the other day...:oops:

mullethead
26-01-2008, 04:21 PM
Put a boot liner in it/rick

sillyrabbit
26-01-2008, 04:22 PM
:lol: I dont mind a bit of hay in my car, but this is so much that its sticking to me when I get in and out :lol:

Im always finding bunny poo in my handbag or shoes :oops: :lol:

Jayney
26-01-2008, 04:25 PM
could you take an old duvet cover with you and put it in there before you put it in the car

AlisonA
26-01-2008, 04:27 PM
I have found either a dog seat cover (I put the bale across the back seats) or a poundland garden bench cover does the trick!

sillyrabbit
26-01-2008, 04:36 PM
I tried putting a sheet down but I had to really squeeze the bale into my car as its small so it just moved as I put the hay in :lol:

It kind of takes up the back seats and right up to the front seats :D

I think the bin bags will be easier than trying to keep a sheet or cover on the seats as I get the hay in x

SarahP
26-01-2008, 04:37 PM
I've got an old blankety thing - doesn't completely cover everything, but gets the worst of the hay anyway!

Willow_Warren
26-01-2008, 04:43 PM
I use one of those big yellow hippo rubble sacks!

Hannah

cheekytikki
26-01-2008, 05:00 PM
i was going to suggest old duvet cover too :lol: that is how i stored my bale fitted perfectly inside and kept most of the hay in :lol:

sazzy
26-01-2008, 05:39 PM
I put mine in a old duvet too only get the odd strand of hay loose in the car

chloaster
26-01-2008, 05:48 PM
I've given up trying to stop hay going everywhere in the car and the back seats are now permanently down and two bales fit in nicely. Plus, if I run out there's always an emergency supply of left overs in the car!! :lol:

kimd6200
26-01-2008, 06:08 PM
i put mine in the back of my nans car,get my hay home n say bye bye!:lol::lol::lol:(yes i clean it out for them):lol:

sillyrabbit
26-01-2008, 06:48 PM
I've given up trying to stop hay going everywhere in the car and the back seats are now permanently down and two bales fit in nicely. Plus, if I run out there's always an emergency supply of left overs in the car!! :lol:

:lol::lol::lol: Thats a good way to look at it :lol:

Pringle
26-01-2008, 06:50 PM
my car just gets covered :rolleyes:

abbymarysmokey
26-01-2008, 07:20 PM
If you've got a hatch back...just put the back seats down and but the bale in via the boot. That way there are no traces of hay when you put the seats and parcel shelf back in the normal positon, and you never have to clean up :D

sillyrabbit
26-01-2008, 07:22 PM
I have a ford ka and the seats dont go down :lol: And it wouldnt fit through the boot :lol:

Thanks though x

abbymarysmokey
26-01-2008, 07:32 PM
I have a ford ka and the seats dont go down :lol: And it wouldnt fit through the boot :lol:

Thanks though x

Do the seats not go down in a Ka? I was considering getting one of those when my present car has to be PTS :shock:

sillyrabbit
26-01-2008, 07:42 PM
Do you mean the back seats, im pretty sure they dont :D I will double check tomorrow though :lol:

Thumpinbun
26-01-2008, 08:00 PM
I also find putting the bale of hay inside an old duvet cover the best way of keeping the car clean.

holidayhutch
26-01-2008, 10:17 PM
We used 2 wheelie bin liners last time, but had to stop off half way to dispose of it at the tip as I had a unwanted visitor crawl across my lap as we were driving back - a cute little mouse. Stopped at a field to let him free then onwards to the tip for the hay. Couldn't risk taking mice home or any disease that may have been in the hay - shame really cos it was lovely stuff and only 3 for a huge bale

Cob-Web
26-01-2008, 10:34 PM
We used 2 wheelie bin liners last time, but had Couldn't risk taking mice home or any disease that may have been in the hay -

Is there a risk of disease?

I buy my hay by the bale, too - I assumed it was the same as the stuff in the pet shops and safe for bunnies and guineas too :?

Thanks for the duvet cover tip though - great idea :)

rabshan
26-01-2008, 11:32 PM
The farm i go to sells huge plastic bags that just fit a bale of hay:DI think you can get them on the net ( not sure though) before that i used to put my bales inside an old duvet cover which worked really well:D

sillyrabbit
27-01-2008, 01:17 AM
Thanks guys :D Will look out for those big plastic bags:D

holidayhutch
27-01-2008, 02:23 AM
Is there a risk of disease?

I buy my hay by the bale, too - I assumed it was the same as the stuff in the pet shops and safe for bunnies and guineas too :?

Having since read information on the RWA website, there are many ways a rabbit can catch VHD, a few are :-

You have to ensure that the farm is free of Myxi as the hay can be infected by wild rabbits in the hay fields. It can also be infected by birds or insects who transport the virus on their feet or droppings and it can also be blown by the wind.

I therefore didn't think it was safe to keep the bale. Better safe than sorry