• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does bunny need a friend?

bun_bun

New Kit
My netherland dwarf x is an unneutered male and sometimes I worry about him being lonely. I'd love to get him a friend but would only ever rescue (I think everyone is pro rescue here too!) I went along to a rescue place but the lady there said she would never pair bunnies up so if I wanted a bun from her it would have to live alone, :( and she would never bother to have them spayed/neutered as "vets say they need doing just to get money off you" I think this is terrible but she could just be misguided?...

Anyway I now question if bunnies can be paired up? I've heard unneutered boys can sometimes live with spayed females, can anyone tell me if this is true? Or do males have to be neutered too?
So many questions :lol:
thanks

They do get along well with spayed females. After I saw my girls snuggling together and washing each other, I always feel that bunnies should be paired except in extreme circumstances.

I guess you have been totally mis-informed - bunnies live better together in pairs rather than being alone (unless maybe they are a housebun with lots of interaction).

I had Flopsy - lone bun- for 5 months before I had him neutered and then got him a wife, Jem, and he is soooo happy.

He is a totally different bun now he is with Jem and they love each other to pieces.

Any decent rescue centre will advise you on same.

I am sure more experienced advice will be along soon - me not so experienced - but learning:D

Yes, whoever you saw at that rescue knows nothing about rabbits. They prefer to live with other bunnies because humans usually cannot devote the same time of attention, grooming, playing etc that another rabbit can as unfortunately we have jobs and other responsibilities. Some rabbits don't get on but you should be able to find a friend your bunny will get on with.

As for neutering, just a way for vets to get money? She really needs to put down the crack pipe. Neutering both bucks and does helps with behaviour, unwanted litters, stops them spraying and marking territory, stops sexual aggression, stops them being so territorial, prevents phantom pregnancies in does. Plus it also has huge health benefits, such as helping to prevent uterine cancer in female rabbits. Unspayed and unneutered bunnies are raging bags of hormones and can be a nightmare, so for both you and the bunnys' peace of mind get them neutered.

The best pairing for bunnies is a neutered boy and spayed female. It could work if he's unneutered but no doubt the girl would get sick and tired of the constant humping, plus I doubt you'd appreciate the spray of urine from a randy little boy bunny. You might be best looking for another rescue (that one didn't sound too clued up on animal welfare), one that can do the pairing for you. It's an idea to get his bits chopped off first though. Good luck :)

Pairing an un-neutered boy with a neutered female will usually end in a fight when the female gets fed up with his constant advances, having no hormonal mating urge herself.

Agree with what has been said above.
Whicha rea are you in and I'm sure someone can recommend a decent vet for neutering your boy..then a local rescue should ber able to help you bond him with a wifey-bun!:D

Mops isn't in a pair but then she isn't speyed and she is to old to be spayed so thats why but if i had a choice i wold get her a friend =) I have to make up for the fact that she is alone so get double the amount of hugs :roll: ( theres always an excuse lol :lol:

I just got a man friend for my lonely girl and it is heartwarming to see them together. I would suggest you first get your chap neutered then find a better-informed animal shelter to help you get a girl for him as the one you went to sounds like they don't really know what they're on about. :/

good rescues will take in your boy and pair him with a girl on your behalf, this saves you the stress of bonding them yourself and means your bunnies will be in safe hands whilst theyre being bonded. good luck! :wave:

My Nibbles was depressed because she was alone. She's been back to her lovely bubbly self since we got Bobby, in fact, she's actually happier!! I wouldn't say that they're the most loved up pair, but they're both really happy. They have little tiffs over food, and if one gets in the way of the other, but they're so happy together. Great to see them snuggled up together too :)

We're looking to hopefully ge a husbun for my Biscuit soon, as whenever I see her, she always looks so sad.

Thanks for your answers...can anyone recommend a decent vet to get him spayed at? I'm in cornwall. He's nearly 3, I'm assuming this isn't too old? And is the operation fairly straightforward, I wouldn't want to put him at any risk!!

Can anyone help?
If not, can someone explain what kind of things a vet should be saying in a consultation prior to my bun being neutered? I don't want to end up with an incompetent vet :(

Last edited:
there is an excellent section on questions to ask your vet to determine how good she/he is in "rabbits for dummies" if you could buy or borrow a copy? i know that sounds like sales talk but im not working for them :lol: and it is a good list. failing that I expect someone will be along in a bit with some suggestions for you... *bumps thread*

Back