• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice on Baytril please!

Photielou

Warren Scout
Can Baytril cause side effects - such as not pooing?

Flump has been on it since Tues - she's been fine but tonight she just hasn't been to the toilet - food is'nt a problem as she is eating!

Help Please :cry:

Hi

I understand that Baytril can affect the gut bacteria, so yes it could affect pooing.

I don't know if it's any different if it's oral or injected Baytril, but whenever one of my rabbits was on oral Baytril, I was advised to feed her Fibreplex, to help the good bacteria in her tum.

When did she stop pooing and is she still eating ok? - Sorry, just re-read your post!

Nic

Yep she is eating - mostly hay but has not pooed or wee'd all night - she had wee'd this afternoon but not pooed.

Where can I get fibreplex?

Thanks

It might be an idea to contact your vet, do they have an emergency service?

It sounds to me like she may need to see the vet for some metaclopromide to get her guts going again, probably sooner than later, as I'm sure you'll know bunnies tums need to keep moving.

It's good that she's still eating. Does she look uncomfortable?

Fibreplex you can generally from your vets. You can also buy it from the internet (I get my supply from medicines4yourpet.com), but I would suggest talking to your vet first.

I have a bunny who is quite prone to bowel problems, but he isn't on Baytril. From my experience, I have called the emergency vet when he's been looking uncomfortable and has stopped pooing, after watching him for 2-3 hours. With Izzy, he generally stops eating at the same time. Then it's a trip to the vets for metaclopromide.

Nic

She has just been in her litter tray - was in it for ages - she did some poo's but they were only small and shee wee'd alittle bit and it looked really strong!

Yep I've got a vet - u think I should ring now or leave it till morning since she has been but only a litle??

Oh n no she dosen't look uncompfy at all she's her normal self except for lack of poo's - she's usually a pooing machine!!

That's always the dilemma I hit, do I call now or wait....

If I were you, I'd call them to put my mind at rest. They are the professionals and from explaining the situation over the phone they will be able to judge if Flump needs to be seen tonight or if she can wait until the morning.

I'm sure she will probably be ok overnight, but I would call.

Please keep me updated.

Nic

Thanks Nic

I'm torn coz she seems happy enough i her self and is coming 4 cuddles n treats - mite sit with her a while n c.
I have a vets I can call if I need too.

Thanks 4 the late night advice :D x

No probs.

Sounds like a good plan to me.

Try to make sure she's getting fluid as well as food, perhaps feed her some washed veg for the bit of extra moisture and hay or grass for the fibre.

I would suggest a few dandelions leaves, they're great as they also have a bit of a laxative effect. But it's not exactly the season for them and I don't think you'll be able to see many in the dark ;) :)

It's good that she hasn't completely stopped pooing, at least things are still moving in there. A tip, when she's laying down if you watch carefully you should be able to see her bowels moving, like a ripple. I often use that as my guide, if I can see it's still working then it's a good sign.

Hope she's pooing normally again soon and that you manage to get some sleep!

Nic

Update on Flump!

Hi,

Took Miss Flump to the vets first thing and she gave her a injection to stimulate the bowel - she said she could feel plenty of pellets in her tum but she seems to be constipated :cry:

She also gave us some propiotics to give her every 4 hrs and I gotta taker her back in the morn to check everythin is working well! She also advised plenty of hay and wheatabix! She said exercise can help too!

As I said lst night she's happy in here self still so thats good! :D Prob sick to death of the vets she's still gotta go Mon to check her eyes - coz the vets said to keep using the Baytril coz her eyes could flare back up if I don't use the full course! That'll be 4 vets visits in a wk!! :shock:

Poor Flump! Fingers crossed 4 Poo's!! :D

Last edited:
Yes, exercise is good for keeping the bowels moving.

Probiotics are great too, that's one of the ingredients in fibreplex.

I've had mixed suggestions about wheetabix, from the same vet. One occasion he told me to use it and the next time I mentioned it to him he denyed that he'd told me to use it the first time! (Understandably I'm not as fond of this particular vet at the surgery!)

But bun's do seem to like wheetabix and of course it does contain fibre, but I'm not sure if it's really the right fibre that bunnies need to help their tums (perhaps someone else on the forum can comment on this?). Hay and grass is, without a doubt the best fibre for them.

It's said that a little bit of fresh pineapple is supposed to help digestion too.

Of course with any new food, be careful to introduce it gradually.

The vet may give her another injection of metaclopromide tomorrow too, just to keep things moving.

Hope she's soon back on form.

Nic

Please dont use weetabix for rabbits.

It has entirely the wrong type of fiber and its composition makes it very high in carbohydrates, not a good combination for any rabbits GI tract, let alone one already in digestive distress.

The best way of getting fiber in is lots and lots of good quality hay and fiberplex.

Pineapple (fresh only) is believed (no definitive proof as yet) to help prevent 'hairballs' forming in the GI tract of a rabbit whose gut motility has slowed because it contains an enzyme known as Bromeline, which is believed to breakdown the mucus which binds the fur together.

Fiber and fluids are very important to such rabbits. However Pineapple is a sweet food and as sugar feeds negative gut bacteria has the potential to do as much harm as good, especially if introduced as a new food whilst the rabbit is in GI distress.

Thanks for clearing that up Sooz.

Even when the vet has suggested it to me I've always been cautious about introducing a new food into a rabbits digestion system, like you say especially if they're already having GI problems, you don't want to add to the problem.

Thanks for clearing that up Sooz.

Even when the vet has suggested it to me I've always been cautious about introducing a new food into a rabbits digestion system, like you say especially if they're already having GI problems, you don't want to add to the problem.

:wave: Just realised your in Sheffield :D

:wave: yes,I'd seen you around on the forum and I was thinking about getting in touch with you if I needed a bunny friend for Izzy, as sadly Jazmine (his bonded friend) recently died.

(Sorry, Photielou, don't mean to take over your post.)

Thanks for ur advice Nic n Sooz - I took the wheatabix away.. She is eating her hay like it's going out of fashion! so thats good.

woke up this morn to lots of ittle poo's and little bit of wee which was slightly red. :shock:

Took her to her vets appointment n she said flump may have a slight urine infection but to carry on with the baytril till her eye appointment tomrrow. She didn't give her another gut injection because she was happy she'd poo'd!

So we shall see at the appointment tomrrow.

Back