• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

advice wanted asap on feeing after op

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
Pumpkin came home from her neutering operation at c.6pm (its 8.15pm now)

She has poohed a lot (and they look fine) but not eaten anything at all.
In the vets they said they had given her a syringe feed to get her started - and I suspect they thought she would start eating on her own after that.
However she hasn't. The operation was at 2.30 ish and she still looks a bit 'not with it' as I would expect. However I am a bit concerned that with all this poohing and no eating she will empty her tummy and have an empty tum (not good for a rabbit!).

Also she had an unexpected amount of internal fat so its a bit of a worry if she will not eat.

I have some Maxolon to give her (and have metacam in the house anyway if she looks in pain). .
but do you think I should try and syringe feed her yet???

I should add that she is not a housebun normally and so is not that crazy about humans.

I have put her companions in the cage next to her but not actually in with her as need to see what she is eating/poohing.

She is just sitting and not moving and shows no interest in food at all (or anything else).

Any ideas????

twigs

I know when Smokey was spayed she didn't eat straight away after her op. However, I put some of her favourite foods down and by morning sh ehad nibbled a bit when she was quiet on her own.

I would probably leave her a little longer (another hour?), put plenty of veg down and leave her on her own for a bit, she may start munching! Spays are really major operations, they take a while to get 'with it' again.

Lots of vibes

FC x

Presume you're trying to tempt her with all things she likes? Be it carrot, leafy greens, pellets, hay ... not too important what it is at the moment as long as she starts nibbling at something.

If you feel confident to syringe feed I would consider giving some pretty soon. I've had 2 buns with gut problems and on both occasions syringe feeding SS Recovery got them through - so I'm a big fan!!

Good luck - hope it works itself out x

I am not at all suprised that she has not eaten yet !!
The fact that she has poo'd means her guts are working. I would offer her some water in a bowl and place a snugglesafe/hot water bottle next to her. Warmth and fluids are what she needs at the moment. She will be feeling really groggy and sore so I would not stress her out with force feeding.
Leave some of her fave veggies nearby and just allow her to rest.
I very much doubt we would feel like tucking into dinner if we had had a hysterectomy less than 12 hours ago!!
I know you are worried that the fact that she was found to have a lot of body fat could put her at risk of hepatic lipidosis ( fatty liver), but I really would not get too anxious at the moment. Its amazing how warmth and water can get a Bun feeling much better after a GA

Janex :)

Hello!! I wouldn't worry yet, it's fairly normal for females not to eat until the following morning - just offer tasty treats and leave her to settle somewhere quiet and warm for now. Give her a bowl as well as a bottle if you haven't at the mo, post-op buns seem to prefer drinking from a bowl, and fluid will help flush the anaesthetic through. Don't give any painkiller tonight if she had any at the vets, don't want to OD her - also if she doesn't feel anything at all, there's a greater risk that she will do some damage to it. Do you know if she had metaclop at the vets too, as again don't want to overdo it.

I'd leave her until the morning and she will probably have perked up by then - I'd definitely ring the vet if she's not eating by late tomorrow morning.

Beatrix was spayed last week,as i was advised i put her husband in the hutch with her and he snuggled up to her and kept her warm.She didnt eat until the next day but i put blankets in the hutch and water and a carrot and cabbage just incase.I think keeping her warm is the main thing and also keep her quiet and keep and eye on her

Jackie

thanks everyone

Thanks everyone: thats hugely supportive and comforting and full of sensible things. It was the fatty liver complications that I was concerned about (too much reading of Harcourt-Brown!!!).

She is surrounded by water bowl and nibbles (OH forgot to get the corainder in sainsburys so its grass, rosemary and groundsel) and I added a small apple twig just in case. And I've also put a snuggle safe in - many many thanks for all the helpful comments which reminded me to do that.

We have now given her a couple of those plastic squidgy pippetes full of liquidised carrot/apple/broccoli mix. I find those SO much easier than the horrid syringes.

It just seems like she's not quite 'round' yet so I'm hoping those will help flush the system.

We have to go through it all over again with another one next week! Its great to know there are people out there willing to spend time reading and replying.

Thanks everyone: thats hugely supportive and comforting and full of sensible things. It was the fatty liver complications that I was concerned about (too much reading of Harcourt-Brown!!!).

She is surrounded by water bowl and nibbles (OH forgot to get the corainder in sainsburys so its grass, rosemary and groundsel) and I added a small apple twig just in case. And I've also put a snuggle safe in - many many thanks for all the helpful comments which reminded me to do that.

We have now given her a couple of those plastic squidgy pippetes full of liquidised carrot/apple/broccoli mix. I find those SO much easier than the horrid syringes.

It just seems like she's not quite 'round' yet so I'm hoping those will help flush the system.

We have to go through it all over again with another one next week! Its great to know there are people out there willing to spend time reading and replying.

Hopefully she will sleep off the GA tonight and will be nibbling at some food by the morning. It sounds as though she has some tasty things to tempt her.
Please keep us posted about her progress

Janex :)

pumpkin feeling much better - though still quiet

Pumpkin seems to be feeling much better now - though she is still a bit withdrawn and not really very inquisitive etc.
However she is poohing and nibbling and we have put her companions back with her.
Many thanks for everything everyone said.

If you want to hear about an unexpected finding to do with Pumkin (and her neuter) then look at my thread on 'Rabbit vocalising lots'.

twigs

Back