• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Herbert teeth...not good news (any advice PLEASE)?

Herbert'sMum

Warren Scout
The vet has just phoned me after Herbert's op. It appears that he had three molars that were loose (with infection underneath). These were removed and then the cavities flushed. I was also told that he had some other molars which were abnormal but that these couldn't be removed as they were solid in the jaw (can't understand why all these problems weren't picked up at the time of his last dental at the other vet....don't know whether I should complain).

Anyway, as you can imagine I am devastated. :( I know there is a small chance his situation can be managed and will explore every avenue to help him but obviously I discussed with the vet whether it was kinder to PTS. The vet said as he was a fighter and still perky in himself (he was speeding around and binkying in the garden yesterday) that we should try him on a course of antibiotics as some rabbits respond very well.

I was just wondering whether anyone else has a rabbit in the same situation and can offer some advice. Is it fair to keep them going like this and can they manage with only a few molars? At the moment I feel like he is on his last journey so some positive stories would be much appreciated. I love my rabbit dearly and can't bear the thought of him not being at my feet but neither can I bear the thought of him suffering either. Trouble is, when he is still trying to eat/play/want cuddles/have sex with his teddy! the decision to PTS is a difficult one to make.

Sorry can't offer any advice but just wanted to wish you all the best and I'm sure you'll do the right thing for Herbert whatever it is,thinking of you.

You may want to PM snowy (Theo) she has two elderly bunnies with chronic teeth problems and I think they have had most of them removed, but they are happy, healthy little things.

Sorry can't offer any advice but just wanted to wish you all the best and I'm sure you'll do the right thing for Herbert whatever it is,thinking of you.

Thanks for your kind words. I feel I need to at least try the antibiotics route but I am sure my beautiful boy will let me know when he has had enough and it is time to go.:cry:

You may want to PM snowy (Theo) she has two elderly bunnies with chronic teeth problems and I think they have had most of them removed, but they are happy, healthy little things.

Thanks for the advice. I just need some positive vibes so I can transfer them to Herbert.

I would most definately give him a chance on treatment

If he were my Bun I would want him on a 'stronger' antibiotic than Baytril, something like Ceporex (cephalexin). This is because tooth infections need aggressive treatment to try to prevent infection getting into the jaw bone.
I would also want him on good pain relief. Something like Metacam at a dose of up to 0.6mg/kg every 24 hours, maybe topped up with 6 hourly Torbugesic in the first 48 hours after tooth extraction. He may also need supportive feeding and gut motility stimulants.

I had a Bun who coped for 4 years with terrible rotten molars that gradually fell out during each Dental.

Janex

I would most definately give him a chance on treatment

If he were my Bun I would want him on a 'stronger' antibiotic than Baytril, something like Ceporex (cephalexin). This is because tooth infections need aggressive treatment to try to prevent infection getting into the jaw bone.
I would also want him on good pain relief. Something like Metacam at a dose of up to 0.6mg/kg every 24 hours, maybe topped up with 6 hourly Torbugesic in the first 48 hours after tooth extraction. He may also need supportive feeding and gut motility stimulants.

I had a Bun who coped for 4 years with terrible rotten molars that gradually fell out during each Dental.

Janex

Thanks SO MUCH for your valued advice Jane. At the moment he is having 10 drops Metacam daily so is this be sufficient or would I need to up it? I know that the vet has already given him a gut mobility stimulant but don't know about other medication as I have yet to collect him.

It has made me feel a bit better to hear about both your and Snowy's buns. I now feel there is some hope rather than the imminent death sentence given by the vet. He is at least six years old (not exactly sure as a rescue). Do you think his problem should have automatically been picked up at his last dental in December?

Last edited:
Do you think this should have automatically been picked up at his last dental in December?

Well I would have thought that it might have been, yes :? Although it may not have been so severe at that stage.

The Metacam dose is based on the Buns weight. Previously it was considered that the dose should be 0.1-0.2mg/kg. But many Vets reported that this seemed not to give adequate analgesia. My Vet attended a lecture recently where a Bunny Expert Vet said he often used a dose of up to 0.6mg/kg and Bunny Savvy Vets now agree that this higher dose is more appropriate.

If Herbert is to be on longterm Metacam then I would ask the Vet about also giving him an anti GI ulcer med like Ranitidine (Zantac) or Cimetidine (Tagamet). Metacam is a non steroidal anti-inflammatory and longterm use can *sometimes* cause gastric ulceration, rather like Aspirin or Ibuprofen can in some humans.

Janex

Well I would have thought that it might have been, yes :? Although it may not have been so severe at that stage.

The Metacam dose is based on the Buns weight. Previously it was considered that the dose should be 0.1-0.2mg/kg. But many Vets reported that this seemed not to give adequate analgesia. My Vet attended a lecture recently where a Bunny Expert Vet said he often used a dose of up to 0.6mg/kg and Bunny Savvy Vets now agree that this higher dose is more appropriate.

If Herbert is to be on longterm Metacam then I would ask the Vet about also giving him an anti GI ulcer med like Ranitidine (Zantac) or Cimetidine (Tagamet). Metacam is a non steroidal anti-inflammatory and longterm use can *sometimes* cause gastric ulceration, rather like Aspirin or Ibuprofen can in some humans.

Janex

OK thanks....will check dosage with the vet. All your help much appreciated.

Oh Goodness Poor Herbert.
I have no advice to give unfortunately as as you know I'm in a similar boat with Wellie.
Wellie has apparently 1 loose upper molar which is where the abscess is in the root of that. My vet told me extraction wasn't poss as it risked damagin his other molars beside too. Also that the lower molars would not have anything to grind against and so would overgrow.
How would this be managed with Herbert? Would he have regular dentals?
Sending vibes for your poor little man. I hope he can be made comfortable and have plenty of time in front of him yet x x x

Oh Goodness Poor Herbert.
I have no advice to give unfortunately as as you know I'm in a similar boat with Wellie.
Wellie has apparently 1 loose upper molar which is where the abscess is in the root of that. My vet told me extraction wasn't poss as it risked damagin his other molars beside too. Also that the lower molars would not have anything to grind against and so would overgrow.
How would this be managed with Herbert? Would he have regular dentals?
Sending vibes for your poor little man. I hope he can be made comfortable and have plenty of time in front of him yet x x x

I hope so too. If the antibiotics work and his quality of life seems OK he will have to have regular dentals as the vet has said it is obvious from his xrays that he will have more molars that will become loose in time. He was having them anyway to burr down molars etc so now they will probably have to be more frequent which is always a risk. Anyway, I'm just praying that he gets through this round and then we will have to see how things go. I sincerely hope that Wellie also gets through this bad patch and feels better soon. Fingers and everything else crossed for both our little men. Let me know how he gets on. Is he a lop? Unfortunately they seem to have a bad lot regarding their teeth but after reading some positive stories on the forum I've decided to try and stop crying and be more optimistic for him. If these are his last few weeks I don't want to remember them with all doom and gloom, nor do I want Herbert to sense that I am stressed. x

I hope so too. If the antibiotics work and his quality of life seems OK he will have to have regular dentals as the vet has said it is obvious from his xrays that he will have more molars that will become loose in time. He was having them anyway to burr down molars etc so now they will probably have to be more frequent which is always a risk. Anyway, I'm just praying that he gets through this round and then we will have to see how things go. I sincerely hope that Wellie also gets through this bad patch and feels better soon. Fingers and everything else crossed for both our little men. Let me know how he gets on. Is he a lop? Unfortunately they seem to have a bad lot regarding their teeth but after reading some positive stories on the forum I've decided to try and stop crying and be more optimistic for him. If these are his last few weeks I don't want to remember them with all doom and gloom, nor do I want Herbert to sense that I am stressed. x

Hi, yes he is a French lop, but I don't know if he's pure cos slightly on the small side. His lady wife is a large :shock: dwarf lop so they're a similar size.

He is, so the vet tells me, responding well to injectable penicillin and is eating well, so I'm feeling a bit more optimistic for him. The vet is too. Wellie has never needed a dental and the vet said his teeth still are in good shape. Just this one thats loose. :?

Thats interesting they can tell that Herbert's other may come loose in time too from the xray. I think I'll be asking my vet if there is any chance other teeth of Wellie's could go the same way too.

Keeping fingers crossed for both of them x x

Hi,

This doesn't always have to be bad news!!
I have a french lop who went in for a dental 8 weeks ago. His dental prior to that showed that he did have quite poor bone strength and some abnormalities, also his teeth were loose in his sockets. Still, you would never have know because he showed no symptoms whatsoever, eats anything you give him and as much as you give him!

At his last dental two molars had to be removed because they were practically about to fall out. He went in today because I presumed he would need another dental doing to burr down the opposing teeth (although he still eats and acts as normal) but he can go another few weeks yet according to the vet.

I know of a rabbit who has virtually no molars left because they have virtually crumbled away and he is still living healthily and happily....just has to have all of his veg finely chopped etc.

I do feel guilty that I have to put my bunny through this so often, but he has an excellent quality of life and has never shown any sign of discomfort. I know my bunnies so well that I would pick up on the subtlest of sign. I hope things go well for you and your bunny!

Hi

I am so sorry to hear that Herbert is having dental problems, I can only reiterate what Jane has told you with regard to medication.

But please, please don;t give up yet, yes I have several elderly bunnies with chronic dental problems and they are happy, *healthy* (apart from the teeth) and lively bunnies, they certainly live life to the full and their dental problems do not interfere with their happiness.

I have, Harvey 10.5 years old with very bad teeth, Harriet 9.5 years old with her front teeth and very little else, I have Mack and Mabel, we don;t know how old they are but the vet thinks around 5 years, Mack has no front teeth and a few brown broken stubs for molars, his partner Mable does have 1.5 front teeth a couple of brown broken stubs for molars and not a lot else!, we have Wally who is 3 years old and he has no front teeth and grotty molars, Estelle is around 6 years old and has her front teeth but not a lot else, we have Rupert who the vet thinks is between 8-10 years old and he has chronic teeth, the list is endless and I could go on, in fact we have about 18 severe dental bunnies in at the moment. I have 9 bunnies in my signature and 7 of them have chronic dental problems!!

So please don;t give up yet, bunnies are wonderful creatures and can adapt to most things, teeth ot the lack of them being one of those things, so don;t get too despondent yet, there is hope for hime I am sure

Do you live anywhere near me?

Another thing that I find helps is to soak their pellets in water to make them soft so that they can eat them more easily, this is not something that should be done long term but short term whilst his mouth is sore and give grated vegetables.

Loads of vibes coming Herbert way and please keep us updated

Last edited:
Hi,

This doesn't always have to be bad news!!
I have a french lop who went in for a dental 8 weeks ago. His dental prior to that showed that he did have quite poor bone strength and some abnormalities, also his teeth were loose in his sockets. Still, you would never have know because he showed no symptoms whatsoever, eats anything you give him and as much as you give him!

At his last dental two molars had to be removed because they were practically about to fall out. He went in today because I presumed he would need another dental doing to burr down the opposing teeth (although he still eats and acts as normal) but he can go another few weeks yet according to the vet.

I know of a rabbit who has virtually no molars left because they have virtually crumbled away and he is still living healthily and happily....just has to have all of his veg finely chopped etc.

I do feel guilty that I have to put my bunny through this so often, but he has an excellent quality of life and has never shown any sign of discomfort. I know my bunnies so well that I would pick up on the subtlest of sign. I hope things go well for you and your bunny!

Thank you so much for your reassurance and glimmer of hope. It's just that when a vet mentions infection, tooth removal, poor prognosis etc you automatically think the worse. You cannot imagine how much better this has made me feel, ie. to think that there is a possibility that I may have his company for a while longer.

Hi

I am so sorry to hear that Herbie is having dental problems, I can only reiterate what Jane has told you with regard to medication.

But please, please don;t give up yet, yes I have several elderly bunnies with chronic dental problems and they are happy, *healthy* (apart from the teeth) and lively bunnies, they certainly live life to the full and their dental problems do not interfere with their happiness.

I have, Harvey 10.5 years old with very bad teeth, Harriet 9.5 years old with her front teeth and very little else, I have Mack and Mabel, we don;t know how old they are but the vet thinks around 5 years, Mack has no front teeth and a few brown broken stubs for molars, his partner Mable does have 1.5 front teeth a couple of brown broken stubs for molars and not a lot else!, we have Wally who is 3 years old and he has no front teeth and grotty molars, Estelle is around 6 years old and has her front teeth but not a lot else, we have Rupert who the vet thinks is between 8-10 years old and he has chronic teeth, the list is endless and I could go on, in fact we have about 18 severe dental bunnies in at the moment. I have 9 bunnies in my signature and 7 of them have chronic dental problems!!

So please don;t give up yet, bunnies are wonderful creatures and can adapt to most things, teeth ot the lack of them being one of those things, so don;t get too despondent yet, there is hope for hime I am sure

Do you live anywhere near me?

Another thing that I find helps is to soak their pellets in water to make them soft so that they can eat them more easily, this is not something that should be done long term but short term whilst his mouth is sore and give grated vegetables.

Loads of vibes coming Herbies way and please keep us updated

Same to you Snowy. Thanks for taking the time to tell me about your rabbits and how they are still living life to the full even with bad teeth! At the moment Herbert is still bouncing around and into eveything so I hope this is a good sign. He still has an appetite and is eating what he can, ie. soft pellets, baby food, soft veg/fruit. I hope this situation will improve with medication and time. Thanks again and I will let you know how he gets on. I live in Plymouth by the way.

Hi, yes he is a French lop, but I don't know if he's pure cos slightly on the small side. His lady wife is a large :shock: dwarf lop so they're a similar size.

He is, so the vet tells me, responding well to injectable penicillin and is eating well, so I'm feeling a bit more optimistic for him. The vet is too. Wellie has never needed a dental and the vet said his teeth still are in good shape. Just this one thats loose. :?

Thats interesting they can tell that Herbert's other may come loose in time too from the xray. I think I'll be asking my vet if there is any chance other teeth of Wellie's could go the same way too.

Keeping fingers crossed for both of them x x

Great news.....I hope things continue in the same vein for Wellie.

Same to you Snowy. Thanks for taking the time to tell me about your rabbits and how they are still living life to the full even with bad teeth! At the moment Herbert is still bouncing around and into eveything so I hope this is a good sign. He still has an appetite and is eating what he can, ie. soft pellets, baby food, soft veg/fruit. I hope this situation will improve with medication and time. Thanks again and I will let you know how he gets on. I live in Plymouth by the way.

It's a pleasure and if you need to chat then please ring, I was hoping you lived nearer and I could visit and help but Plymouth is too far away sorry, but good luck with Herbert, he sounds like he is doing OK and I am sure he will continue to enjoy life, loads of {{{vibes}}} coming his way and (((hugs))) to you, please keep us updated

Hi There,
I have the great pleasure in saying that Theo's Mac and Mabel, Harriet and Harvey are fab bunnies! :D I met them the other day and they cope brilliantly with their teeth. Mac and Mabel were in a terrible state when they came to Theo :( but they are so cute! They were eating their damp pellets on Monday nite and lovely parsely- which Mac eats very slowly and Mabel likes to pinch!
They have recently started eating hay too! :D
All of Theo's dental buns are beautiful. :D Please dont give up yet because as Theo has said buns can adapt very easily.
If you have any questions fire them Theo's way!
I am distant Reiki Healing Herbert x x x x

It's a pleasure and if you need to chat then please ring, I was hoping you lived nearer and I could visit and help but Plymouth is too far away sorry, but good luck with Herbert, he sounds like he is doing OK and I am sure he will continue to enjoy life, loads of {{{vibes}}} coming his way and (((hugs))) to you, please keep us updated

Thank you SO much for your kind offer and to everyone for being so supportive. It's a shame we don't live closer Snowy. Still had the 'poor prognosis' flash up on the screen at the vets but Herbert has come home, eaten something and also had a potter around. He is on lots of medication so all I can do know is give him lots of care/love and hope and pray.

Back