• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Snuffles and "crying out"

hot knox buns

Young Bun
I am constantly treating my girl for snuffles, among other issues. She is just a very unhealthy girl...

We recently moved across the US, and the stress put her in another bout of illness.

Something I never noticed in California, is that she is so congested that she wakes up in the middle of the night and seems to be crying out. I have heard bunnies scream while under anesthesia or while getting tattoos, and this is different. My opinion is that she falls asleep, and then becomes so congested that it wakes her up and frightens her.

Of course, she is on baytril again, but it is always a slow go to nurse her back to health. (and even when "healthy" she never stops sneezing and coughing alltogether)

I am just curious if anyone else has had this experience with their bunnies during a respiratory illness? I always seem to know more about bunnies than the vets I see for them, and ALWAYS more than the vets I work with... But none of them seem to think much of this kind of vocalization. I can tell she is in terrible distress, and I wonder how common this response is?

So please share your experiences and wish us a speedy recovery! I really could use a full nights sleep again...

I am constantly treating my girl for snuffles, among other issues. She is just a very unhealthy girl...

We recently moved across the US, and the stress put her in another bout of illness.

Something I never noticed in California, is that she is so congested that she wakes up in the middle of the night and seems to be crying out. I have heard bunnies scream while under anesthesia or while getting tattoos, and this is different. My opinion is that she falls asleep, and then becomes so congested that it wakes her up and frightens her.

Of course, she is on baytril again, but it is always a slow go to nurse her back to health. (and even when "healthy" she never stops sneezing and coughing alltogether)

I am just curious if anyone else has had this experience with their bunnies during a respiratory illness? I always seem to know more about bunnies than the vets I see for them, and ALWAYS more than the vets I work with... But none of them seem to think much of this kind of vocalization. I can tell she is in terrible distress, and I wonder how common this response is?

So please share your experiences and wish us a speedy recovery! I really could use a full nights sleep again...

I have not had a Bun 'cry out' in the way you describe except for one who was epileptic and would do so during a seizure

As your Bun has had several courses of Baytril perhaps its time to change to a different antibiotic. Over here we use a sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim preparation ( called Septrin in the UK) or a tetracycline such as doxycycline (Ronaxan)

If Bun is very congested then a mucolytic ( to thin out the mucus) like bromhexine hydrochloride ( Bisolvon) could be given. Its a powder that is sprinkled on Bun's food.

I would advise you to contact the House Rabbit Society who may be able to point you in the direction of a more Bunny Savvy Vet

http://www.rabbit.org/vets/index.html

I hope your Bun can be helped to feel better. It must be very distressing for both of you :cry:

My snuffles bun makes strange noises when she's asleep. Hard to explain the noises, but something like a whine or whimper.

She's definitely asleep when she does it tho' so I suppose it must be a bit like snoring.

Amy

I have not had a Bun 'cry out' in the way you describe except for one who was epileptic and would do so during a seizure

As your Bun has had several courses of Baytril perhaps its time to change to a different antibiotic. Over here we use a sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim preparation ( called Septrin in the UK) or a tetracycline such as doxycycline (Ronaxan)

If Bun is very congested then a mucolytic ( to thin out the mucus) like bromhexine hydrochloride ( Bisolvon) could be given. Its a powder that is sprinkled on Bun's food.

I would advise you to contact the House Rabbit Society who may be able to point you in the direction of a more Bunny Savvy Vet

http://www.rabbit.org/vets/index.html

I hope your Bun can be helped to feel better. It must be very distressing for both of you :cry:

Thank you for the suggestions, I will look into finding a mucolytic...

We have tried SMZ TMP (the sulpha tri) in the past for my bun, but she is not responsive to it. She is usually responsive to baytril for the major issues, I simply feel she is never on it long enough. The lab animal vet I used to work with wanted me to put her on baytril indefinately, but I never found a vet that would prescribe it that long. (she could not, as bun was not her "patient" so to speak)

When I lived in San Diego, I had plenty of top rabbit vets around, but I still seemed to know a lot more about bunnies than they did. Maybe because of my lab animal experience. Where I live now, there is no one closer than a 3 hours drive. I will be giving this course of baytril a chance, until she is well enough to travel, then we will be seeing a vet to consult about life long treatment for her.

She also has leukemia, so her immune system is worse off than most buns with chronic snuffles. I do think that this is the issue that had most vets wary of her and how to treat her.

Last edited:
Back