• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Whats best for neutered buns?

k.mdaniels

Alpha Buck
My two boys arent neutered yet but I plan to get them done in a months time. Both bunnies are kept separate as they hate each other, I can only have one bunny in the house at a time, so I plan to get them neutered three weeks apart.

Anyway what I wanted to know is-

Will it be ok to keep bunnies indoors for 3 nights to keep an eye on them even though they normally live outdoors? I know to watch the room tempertaure.

Within the first 3 days after there op is it ok to put them in their run or should I just keep them inside. Both rabbits dash about when in their runs.

I know your meant to keep them away from hay after the op but is it ok to give them it in a hay rack, that way they arent trampling on it?

Is it better to cage the bunnies after the operation to keep their movement to a minimum?
Sammy (white bunny) can be totally trusted in the house, he doesnt chew anything he shouldnt and he doesnt run about daft when he's in the house but Leon is the opposite he gets up to mischief and likes to jump up on things and dart about, so should I put Leon in a cage when we arent around.

Sorry for a million questions, just want to be prepared.

Last edited:
I know spaying is a bigger op but it's the only experience I have. I kept my girls inside for a whole week, even though they are outdoor bunnies. Luckily, on the night they went outdoors was relatively warm and I put a snugglesafe in there with them for the first few night out. I didn't allow my girls to go into their run until about 1 1/2 to 2 weeks after op. I used hay in a hay rack when they were indoors, just not straw on the floor until a week after op. Much better to cage them after op so they don't move about too much. 5 days after the op, I put them into a 2ft x 2ft square of floor so they could stretch their legs a little and a change of scenery, but no jumping or running. Hope I've helped.

Back