• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The Omlet Rabbit/ Chicken 'Eglu'

Anita

Alpha Buck
A friend emailed me this today.

I am not sure what I think about it to be honest - not as a main hutch anyway, yes possibly a shelter in a run but just look at the cost :shock::shock: My girls are far too big for it I just thought I would see what everyone else thought, or is it just an expensive gimmic to have a coloured hutch?

http://www.omlet.co.uk/shop/shop.php?cat=Eglu&sub=Rabbits

It's a very expensive gimmick! It's far too small for a bun to live in. There are plenty of decent sized hutches that cost a fraction of what those cost.

Theres been a lot of discussion about these i started a thread when I was looking into them and came to the conclusion that they were very over priced and too small.

I have one

Its not great, i would never have shut them in though. The house accomadation is too small.

the rabbits are quite small but its ok when i'm clearing there normal hutch out

I got it a few years ago before i knew better, they are now in a six foot hutch /run combo

the eglu is sat in my garden empty money well spent (i don' think so!):oops:

my friend has one of these. it seems like a very expensive way of doing things but as far as i'm aware the chickens are ex battery? or am i wrong

for rabbits i think it's too small

i would however like a green one :)

I have chickens and its too small for them too :cry:

The chickens provided are not ex battery they are point of lay from breeders ( i believe)

It's probably fine as long as the rabbit has 24/7 access to a large run (bigger than the run they sell), or a retreat for a free range house bunny. But I wouldnt keep 3 medium rabbits in it as a hutch, wouldn't even keep one, seems very dark and crampt. I'm shocked they suggest you can keep a french lop in there.
Over priced gimmick.

Though if I were rich and they were at least twice the size I might get one.

There's lots of posts on here about these things - personally I hate them. Overpriced and undersized. According to their webside Chris Moyles on Radio One was talking about buying one for chickens. I listen to that show at work everyday and I didn't hear it - did anyone else?

If I had gotten one I think it would be nice to keep in the run, but not shut the rabbit in. I like the idea of the water bottle and hayrack inside.
If it hadn't been for the price tag:roll: I usually use a home-made wooden house for that, and they just use it to hide in or lie next to it for shade.

I have one which I use as a summer run and cover, ITS HIDEOUS!! I didnt buy it, I'm not that stupid..... but do a search if you want my full account of how rubbsih it really is.... if I type it again I may be guilty of slander, though valid slander... and I still say the designer wants sacking! Oh and if anyone is slightly tempted to buy one, feel free to come and see mine first, it'll save you some money!

Last edited:
Oh sorry if I have started off a thread we have had before, I havent seen any of the posts but I suppose that will teach me to look properly:D A friend sent me that link yesterday and I just thought they were weird and wondered if anyone else had heard of them. Our girls have a shed sized custom build mansion which cost us a fraction of those 'eglu' things and looks a whole lot better in my garden than pink plastic ever would. I am glad to hear that no one actually likes them. I wouldnt even keep chickens in one.

the omlet rabbit/chicken Eglu

I was going to buy one as i want some ex-battery chickens and thought that they may be fox proof but they didn,t look very big and i was not convinced that a fox would not be able to get in it :evil:so i deceided not to get one:cry:

I like them!

I have an Eglu for my two rabbits. I agree that the run is two small but they only stay in there until the postman has been (he is scared of them)and then they have full access to the garden. I like the house and it seems to suit them. I also agree that they are expensive, however my mother-in-law bought it for me because my other cage and run had rotted, shortly after they were moved to the Eglu on the lawn, a tree blew down their old cage, so the eglu kind of saved their lives.

I like them cause they are easy to clean and don't rot!

Back