• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Flooring for indoor cages

Kelly*

Young Bun
I've just got 2 of my bunnys bonded & wanted to build an indoor cage for them.
Which is the best thing to use on the floor, ramps & upper levels? [there both rexes]

I'd like to know this too - i've seen someone on here with like a rubber matting but dont know where to get it from?

Equestrian supply shops will probably do some sort of rubber matting. I'm a bit dubious though - if a bun takes to munching on it I'd imagine it would be rather dangerous if ingested :? I know my two have a thing for the rubber buttons on my remote, so *personally* I wouldn't use rubber.

Carpet could be good? I just use plain old newspaper :)

I have a rubber exercise mat wrapped in a fleecy blanket. sorrel did once chew a hole in it to aid her escape :roll: but i dont think she actually ingested any of it.

maybe vetbed or some soft blankety thing? it depends what they tend to chew on! i wouldnt use carpet with them being rexes.

Mine don't have a cage, but they sleep on washable doormats (the cheap ones you can buy from Tescos). They are easy to bundle up in the washing machine, and dry quite quickly.

Good old fashioned....

Carpet. It also helps cause any stray food megazorb and hay sticks to it rather than cascading onto the floor. I find if you choose a colour close the base of the dog cage tray they are less likely to chew as they arent hot on colours either.

Rubber matting I uave used but carpets cosy Im think.:thumb:

I put cardboard on base of upperlevels of my homemade built cage, but my two are eating away at it. I cant use carpet, cause if they can, they chew and dig it up (although so far so good on ground floor) and have tried a fleece cushion bed in the past, they also chew that! No idea what to use that they wont eat, and if they do, then at least its safe!!
Px

I used plywood for the flooring with self adhesive laminate covering to protect it and make it water(wee)proof, also plywood with carpet tiles for grip and comfort for the levels (mezzanine) and vet bed as an extra soft bed. I have rexes and they've had no problems so far.

I use fleece for upper levels.

Don't use carpet, especially for rexes, it can be very harsh on their feet and cause sore hocks.

A lot of things can work though, vet bed, fleece etc if your bunny is litter trained, if not you're better of with lino or something like that.

my crate/pen sits on carpet on top of the main carpet (incase of digging) in the crate i just put newspaper for them to shred when the mood takes them :)

Back