• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Single Bunny or Bonded?

Amy104

Warren Veteran
I read an interesting post on another forum by a guy who questions whether single bunnies really get lonely and whether you should pair them. His arguement is that if bunnies really wanted a companion there would be no need for bonding? I've assumed that bonding was down to rabbits having a strict hierarchy and that this is essenial to establish who's boss. What do you think?

The respected rabbit welfare organisations all reccomend that rabbits are kept in pairs.

From the House Rabbit Society:
http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/multiple.html

Only one truth remains unchallenged: Rabbits are not meant to live in solitude, away from members of their own kind.

Occasionally there may be a rabbit which doesn't take to other rabbits, but they are the exception- most are happier in pairs.

I've got 2 single bunnies who seem very content with life - but I do think that's because there's bunny neighbours for them - It stands to reason that a prey animal will find safety and security in numbers, and feel more relaxed with other rabbits or familiar company (human or animal). I would feel very sorry for a single rabbit outside on its own.

You could say the same about humans, *most* people want a partner, but it doesn't mean relationships don't have their ups and downs! :rolleyes: :lol:

After the bonded couples I've seen on here, I'm convinced that Bobbin needs a girlfriend.

I suspect he's talking out of the wrong hole and probably is just making excuses because he has a lonesome bunny! :roll:

I suspect he's talking out of the wrong hole

I think that too.

Some people seem to like the attention a single bunn gives them. I suppose if you are at home all day playing with the rabbit then maybe you are enough company, but what about night when its all on its own? And you can't groom them in the same way another rabbit can.

People who's experience of neutered pairings is limited or have only had single rabbits may think they are ok, but when you see two bonded rabbits all cuddled up, you see why most NEED company.

i used to think we was enough for Alvin.. he had our company alteast 20 hours between us and that was working very nicely... then ste got his job so some days alvin was left from 11:30am until 6:00pm when i got in from work, on these days he was extra fussy and clingy... thankfully some very good posts on this forum made me realise he did need a pal and it was unfair for me to keep him alone if i couldnt devote 24hrs every single day to him...

the first bonding failed and i questioned if alvin was lonely or not....

but now hes so happy, hes slightly more active, and after two weeks hes back to loving me too not quite as much as before cus hes got his true love and its beautiful.. as ive been told on many occasions once ive seen a bonded pair ill never go back to a single bun again....very very true

i always wondered why bonding was needed too but i guess if personalities clash it needs to be spotted early on before death occurs, in the wild if rabbits dont like each other they have the space for avoidance in our homes its only right we find a pair that actually like each other and with so many to choose from there is a perfect bun for everyone :)

People say rabbits should be in pairs because they are happier and need company of there own kind, but if that is that case then surley that would be the same for any animal wouldn't it? But when you buy a dog or a cat you dont get recommended to buy them in pairs?

I do understand the need for them to have company, but I have a house bun on his own and i know for a fact that he is very content with his life because of his behaviour, hes the most friendly little thing and loves affection, he loves to run around and binky in the mornings and is very willing to give you a nice grooming everyday! I think hes a pretty happy bun, and a spoilt one at that!

Well it takes a while for humans to form a relationship, admitadly we don't fight, hump, pull hair in doing so (usually!)... but there you go!

Hannah

People say rabbits should be in pairs because they are happier and need company of there own kind, but if that is that case then surley that would be the same for any animal wouldn't it? But when you buy a dog or a cat you dont get recommended to buy them in pairs?

I don't know about dogs so much, but if you relate it to wild cats many do live a solitary life, tigers, leopards, cheetahs I believe all live along and only meet other to mate! Lions are one of the few exceptions!

Rabbits in the wild live in groups.

Hannah

I don't know about dogs so much, but if you relate it to wild cats many do live a solitary life, tigers, leopards, cheetahs I believe all live along and only meet other to mate! Lions are one of the few exceptions!

Rabbits in the wild live in groups.

Hannah

A wild dog would be in a pack with other dogs!

Well i think some people forget that its not always possible to accomodate more than one rabbit, i dont think a rescue would turn someone away for wanting to take one rabbit and not two?

I read an interesting post on another forum by a guy who questions whether single bunnies really get lonely and whether you should pair them. His arguement is that if bunnies really wanted a companion there would be no need for bonding? I've assumed that bonding was down to rabbits having a strict hierarchy and that this is essenial to establish who's boss. What do you think?

Thats a bit like saying that I want a partner so i'm going to settle for the next person who walks past me in the street, its just not like that is it. Rabbits in the wild live in groups don't they and its all about personalities not just plonking two random buns together and expecting them to make friends!

dogs are pack animals and should have others of thier own kind... sadly when i tried to introduce a new dog to ralph he sunk into a derpression at 8 years old ste is his pack mate and another dog was competition... if i ever have another dog i will have two from a young age.. but ralph is NEVER left alone which is where he doesnt ever have to feel lonely...

and cats are solitary animals but my mom recently adopted what we beleive are a brother and sister cats, they play together, they keep close to each other so that added to the success of alvins bonding leads me to think humans arent quite enough, animals do need thier own kind (except ralph whose a strange dog...lol)

a rabbit *isn't* a cat or a dog though. saying that whats true for one animal is therefore true for all would be like saying "we get recommended to feed lots of meat to cats so therefore rabbits should eat meat aswell", theyre different species so they have different needs.

a rabbit *isn't* a cat or a dog though. saying that whats true for one animal is therefore true for all would be like saying "we get recommended to feed lots of meat to cats so therefore rabbits should eat meat aswell", theyre different species so they have different needs.

Well i think i realise a rabbit isnt a cat or a dog! What does feeding meat to a rabbit have anything to do with bonding them!:evil:

Like i said before its not always possible to accomodate more than one rabbit, and obviously the majority of you on the forum have bonded pairs, so your views would be different!

All im saying is that a rescue would not turn a rabbit away from a loving home because you can only accomodate one rabbit and not two, I think you will find that having one rabbit is better than having rescues full of rabbits that people cant give a home too because you think its cruel to have one on its own!!

All im saying is that a rescue would not turn a rabbit away from a loving home because you can only accomodate one rabbit and not two, I think you will find that having one rabbit is better than having rescues full of rabbits that people cant give a home too because you think its cruel to have one on its own!!

Many, if not most rescues only home rabbits to live in pairs.

Well i think i realise a rabbit isnt a cat or a dog! What does feeding meat to a rabbit have anything to do with bonding them!:evil:

Like i said before its not always possible to accomodate more than one rabbit, and obviously the majority of you on the forum have bonded pairs, so your views would be different!

calm down mtae, i'm not getting at you

im just saying that because something is true for one animal doesnt mean its true for all, you can't really compare cat or dog living conditions with rabbit living conditions

i have a single house rabbit myself as she wouldn't bond with anybun

the rescue i got pearl from only lets you adopt a single rabbit if its going home to a rabbit you already have and they did the bonding too to ensure a match made in heaven not hell :).

I quite agree with you - the majority of rescues won't rehome a rabbit to live alone, but a few will consider it if it's going to be a house rabbit and you're going to be home a lot.

I have a bonded group of 4 as well as my 2 singles and yes they groom each other a lot, but grooming is not the same as affection as we humans understand it - it's what they do to establish their bond as a group, and to establish who is the boss bunny.

My single rabbits look just as content as my bonded ones, and it's not all plain sailing for the bonded ones either! I'm sure a single house bunny that likes human company will be happy enough, and for me, happy enough is good enough - perfectionists are missing the point and making it harder than it needs to be.

My ideal bunny (having observed much) is a single male house rabbit - the ones I know of are very happy with life, and I don't see anything wrong with that. Dogs can substitute their humans for their own species, and so can rabbits.

Many, if not most rescues only home rabbits to live in pairs.

Isnt that pairs that are already bonded though?

I think its a poor attitude to say you can only have two rabbits, when someone is willing to give a rabbit a very loving home.

I guess i shouldnt have even bothered to give my opinion if you all gona start going on at me, you act as if im cruel for having one rabbit and to be honest i think thats wrong! Sorry for having an opionion!

Perhaps if people only kept one rabbit then there wouldn't be so many rabbits in rescues in the first place! :evil:

Back