• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what doe everyone use as bedding?

Crystal butterfly

Warren Veteran
for hutches oviously hay but what do you use on the floor of their hutch/cage?

i use woodshavings i know its bad for rabbits but i have tried other things such as newspaper using just hay and straw but all they did was eat it all up :shock: so i was doing their hutches once twice a day :? Crystal littertrained herself so i gave her a carpet lined hutch come winter she started weeing in her bed so that was the carpet in the bin :rolleyes:

anyone use anything else which is good and not two expensive? which i can probably buy in bulk rather then pay constantly for a small bag :?

xx

hiya

I too use woodshavings- i put a about an inch thick layer over the bottom of the cage and then cover with shredded paper. On top of this in their sleeping area thay have straw ( which they do eat a little of). I have just bought some wood pellets to try but looking at them they look like rabbit nuggets so am a tad worred about them eating them so i may hold fire with that idea!

Lots of people on here use megazorb which is supposed to be good.

I use woodshavings too. I tried carefresh but aswell as being expensive Bluebell kept eating it! I use straw in the bedding area as they don't eat this as much as hay and give hay in a rack instead for them to eat. I've recently started to top the newspaper in the litter tray with straw instead of shavings as they seem to prefer this. This way the rest of the cage stays cleaner.

I use Megazorb on the floor of the hutch for my girls' hocks. It's much better than woodshavings, much cheaper and more healthy for the bunnies. I use straw and hay in their sleeping area. In the summer, I plan to use shredded paper in the sleeping area.

I use lots of straw in the bedroom with their snugglesafe buried in it at night, then newspaper on the bottom level. When they were inside they used to tear the paper up if i put it on the bottom of their cage but they leave it when they are outside for some reason. Going to put lino downstairs where their litter tray will be and carpet upstairs when i finally get them a playhouse

There are plenty of alternatives to shavings you can buy in bulk bags/balesnow to avoid the potential health risks of shavings. To name a few off the top of my head:
- Megazorb & Carefresh
- hemp bedding (Aubiose, Hemcore, other brands too)
- cardboard bedding (Ecopetbed, EcoBed, SafeTBed, Andy B bedding, Finacard, BedXcel to name a few brands! Local councils also offer recycled cardboard bales too)
- shredded paper, either shredded yourself or bought by the bale (Paperdown is one brand)

Yes, it can cost a bit more in postage to order online but lots of the above are available in horse supply places too
A few places you can order online:
http://www.gjwtitmussshop.co.uk/acatalog/HORSE_BEDDING.html
http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/acatalog/Horse_Bedding.html
http://www.gameandcountry.co.uk/ (sell Bedxcel, search for 'bedding')

I've personally got lino down (on the floor of the shed) and use Aubiose in the litter tray

I use a few inches of Barley Straw over a think layer of newspaper and also some shredded office paper mixed with hay in the bedroom.

The outdoor buns have a layer of newspaper, then a layer of either straw or shedded paper depending on how clean their toilet habits are. Their litter trays have newspaper, megazorb and hay.

There are plenty of alternatives to shavings you can buy in bulk bags/balesnow to avoid the potential health risks of shavings. To name a few off the top of my head:
- Megazorb & Carefresh
- hemp bedding (Aubiose, Hemcore, other brands too)
- cardboard bedding (Ecopetbed, EcoBed, SafeTBed, Andy B bedding, Finacard, BedXcel to name a few brands! Local councils also offer recycled cardboard bales too)
- shredded paper, either shredded yourself or bought by the bale (Paperdown is one brand)

Yes, it can cost a bit more in postage to order online but lots of the above are available in horse supply places too
A few places you can order online:
http://www.gjwtitmussshop.co.uk/acatalog/HORSE_BEDDING.html
http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/acatalog/Horse_Bedding.html
http://www.gameandcountry.co.uk/ (sell Bedxcel, search for 'bedding')

I've personally got lino down (on the floor of the shed) and use Aubiose in the litter tray

thanks for the links ive just ordered some megazorb going to try that with my rabbits :) and if all goes well il continue to use it :)

I use shavings in the places they pee and straw for their amusement and as much hay as they want, which they usualy flatten or move and sit on the lino!!

I used to use shavings but wind blew them everywhere or Flopsy kicked them out of the way along with the straw and hay.

He was litter trained so I carpeted the hutch. Jem was also litter trained when I got her so I didn't have to change a thing. They are both very clean/tidy buns and keep their hutch clean only the odd poop on the carpet. They seem to love laying on it and flop right over - they also love my picnic blanket which I gave them to keep them a bit warmer.

Funny but their hutch doesn't really resemble a hutch ie straw, wee and poo all over.

Mine are litter trained as well. I use puppy training pads on the floor of the hutch, keeps the floor dry when it's raining and they hop into the hutch.

Barley straw and hay mixed on top of the puppy pad in the bedroom.

I recently found this stuff called "back-2-nature small animal bedding" in my local pet shop (doesn't sell animals) I buy a huge sack for about £12 and it lasts ages, it's made from recycled paper. website is www.fibrecycle.com although the packaging shown is different to what I get.

I use carefresh, and buy the biggest bags I can at a time. I am, however, considering trying to find something else, as carefresh claims to be best for odor absorption, but it seems to stink to high heaven! Maybe my girls just have very powerful urine...

I also use hay or straw that I pick up at a local barn. I usually just ask if I can take the stuff that falls off the bales, and they will let me as long as I sweep it up myself. I get HUGE boxes or bags of it when I do this, and it costs NOTHING!

I agree. I also tried carefresh with my hammy to help odours but it made his cage smell worse!!:shock:

Back