• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

chewing the wallpaper - please help!!

Wispa & Zola

Mama Doe
Wispa has started eating the wallpaper which is very bad news as we live in rented accomadation.

ive been thumping the ground near her and shouting no and also using a water spray.

are there any other techniques to stop her from doing it?

she has plenty of toys and lots of hay shes just being very naughty the last few days.

i really dont want to have to pen them in but if she keeps on then we wont have a choice. im worried about when im not here because i wont catch her doing it.

Last edited:
ive just got my new book today, why does my rabbit... apparently by chasing Alvin away ive been giving into his attention seeking ways which has actually made him worse.... water spray and a loud no straight away is supposed to eventually make them realise its not fun :roll::roll:

can you block of the areas shes aiming for, we have towels and boxes all over the place but alvin still chews when he gets a chance.... i lock both bunnies up when i cant watch them its the only way while they learn :(

she doesnt target specific areas, the people that decorated here chose crud wallpaper with raised bits and apparently the raised bits are the tasty bits. a chew deterrant spray wouldnt work really either id have to spray the whole house at ankle height!!!! and knowing her she would find it quite tasty!!!

lol we tried white vinegar at first, he waited till it dried or reached higher than it :rolleyes:

im going back to the water spray an a really loud OY i think

Ok, Tim has started to do this recently too! I spoke to Jane a few weeks ago and she said mix some water in a spray bottle and squeeze lemon juice into it, then spray around the area(S) they are doing it and it should stop them. Its really worked for me now as its been two weeks :D

The only way I can stop mine once they've got it into their heads to destroy something is to block it off with something they are allowed to chew. Something wooden or a cardboard box. I also use the 'no' squirt method. No deterrant has ever worked for me. :rolleyes: I still haven't tried bitter apple spray yet. I can't find any.

Lexie didnt target the wallpaper until the cats started to scratch at it, then she decided to eat the srips they snagged making big bald patches :evil:

I just used to run at her shouting NO and pick her up for a 'time out' in her cage when I spotted her and the little madam learnt she did wrong and would only do it when I was in another room.

Eventually she got fed up of being shouted at and picked up :shock: and has since lost interest.

i rubbed a lemon onto a chair last week and it worked until this week when she started licking it off :roll:

im worried about bitter apple because they like apples and it would have to be very bitter to work!

Wispa hates it when i eat an orange and my hands smell so i might zest and juice some oranges into water and see if it stinks!!

Back