• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Gurgly tummy

chloaster

Warren Veteran
Hi - Lou is fostering Cocoa for me and has told me his tummy is making some loud gurgling noises - some of my buns have gurgly tummies occassionally but not that loud or to the extent I've worried about it - has anyone got any thoughts on this? Thanks

He's eating and pooping fine, it's just really loud. He doesn't seem to be in any discomfort , but seems startled a little when the louder gurgles appear! I know he's on a strict diet...but he's wolfing down plenty of hay? Any clues?:?

He's eating and pooping fine, it's just really loud. He doesn't seem to be in any discomfort , but seems startled a little when the louder gurgles appear! I know he's on a strict diet...but he's wolfing down plenty of hay? Any clues?:?

Does the loud gurgling occur during/after he has a drink?
Are his poos a good size?

Janex

Poos are all normal and the gurgling tummy is just quite constant regardless. At times it's semi quiet gurgling then quite loud. He loves been cuddled and you can really feel it when he's on you. When he's lying down you can see his tummy moving in waves (wasn't sure if that was normal as my other bun's tums don't do that). Quite odd really!:?

I'd be able to tell more if I could feel his abdomen. If his guts are adjusting to a new diet regime that may be the cause. But 'feeling' his abdomen would reveal if his guts are empty, gassy, doughy etc.

If he was very overweight then his weightloss needs to be very slow to prevent him developing hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver)

Janex :)

sootys tum gurgles quite a bit, especially after drinking or tucking into veg. It doesn't seem to cause him any problem but if cocoa is happpy for tummy rubs, if you stroke down from head to tail she might be able to tell if there is gas there beacause you will feel it shifting under your hand and it might make a crackling sound....

If he was very overweight then his weightloss needs to be very slow to prevent him developing hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver)

Janex :)

I lost a bunny to this and it was an awfull death :cry, so sending vibes, hope the gurling stops :D

Stuart sometimes has an astonishingly gurgly tummy. He doesn't have it all the time, but when he does have it it goes on all evening. Like Cocoa, it doesn't seem to bother him at all and he does eat and drink and groom and all the rest. I suspect it is connected to what he has eaten. I have my suspicions that he gets it if they have have richer food than normal (eg, carrots), and he stuffs more than his fair share down.

I don't think his weight loss has been excessively quick - he still gets a few pellets in the am and bit of veg in the pm - I think his excessive weight was down to being shut in all the time so a lot of what he lost has been down to just running around - he's a very active and bouncy bunny.

Yep, he certainly is active and it doesn't seem to bother him. He's on a strict diet and i don't think it's changed since chloe's had him. I'll keep a real close eye on him and if he stops eating/pooping/drinking etc i'll get him straight into vets. I guess he may have always had this but being a rescue bun we may not have known? Will keep you updated!:? Thanks so much for your help!;)

Hiya

I know this bun as, I have to admit unfortunately he came from a friend of mine that I am less than impressed with.... he was supposed to come to me when Pebble did Lou, but with one thing and another she dropped him off with Chloe :roll: (no comments please guys)

Anyhow, he has a history or being overfed on Pellets, recent lack of exercise and becomming too fat to eat his Ceacotrophs. His previous medical history has been treatment for mites and eye infections, never gut related. He has always had a bad reaction to veg. Since being with Chloe & now Louise he is on a reduced pellet diet with lots of hay and exercise and is being slowly re-introduced to veg.

My feeling is that he is probably adjusting to the new healthy diet and lifestyle. Louise - Pebble made some pretty loud gurgly noises when she was with me I put it down to the same reasons....

Just thought the added history may help....

PS he's about 4

Sending settled tummy vibes x

My buns have the odd gurgle sometimes after drinking water. Its not contstant tho.

Thanks Julia, i'm probably just fussing too much (if that is possible). I've just never had a bun that has a tummy that makes so much noise. Bless him!
Well i'm keeping an extra close eye on him, which I do with all the buns anyway.
Chris has really, really taken to him, he's following chris everywhere like a lap dog. So funny! :D

ANyway, thanks guys!;)

Thanks Julia, i'm probably just fussing too much (if that is possible). I've just never had a bun that has a tummy that makes so much noise. Bless him!
Well i'm keeping an extra close eye on him, which I do with all the buns anyway.
Chris has really, really taken to him, he's following chris everywhere like a lap dog. So funny! :D

ANyway, thanks guys!;)

Nah..... you are just a good bunny mum ! :D I could be way wrong, so you are doing the best thing keeping an eye. He's lovely isn't he :love:

Good luck..... xx

Nah..... you are just a good bunny mum ! :D I could be way wrong, so you are doing the best thing keeping an eye. He's lovely isn't he :love:

Good luck..... xx

I agree, I would much rather you were over cautious than ignore a possible problem. Always better to be safe than sorry with rabbits.x ;)

Well, Cocoa has still got a very loud gurgly tummy but he's all fine and dandy and may be going to him new home soon. I'm so sad about this...yet happy at the same time! He's only just woke up after a half hour sleep cuddled in my arms! Going to miss this one! x:cry:

Back