• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

:shock:orange wee:shock:

I don't know of any 'technical' reasons why, but experience tells me that some buns suffer from incredibly orange wee following the consumption of carrots. Carrot coloured urine is nothing at all to be concerned about if it's indeed caused by carrots.

I can't offer any other reasons why it should be so, but I'd suggest if it doesn't stop today/tomorrow and you are worried, that you seek vet advice to check that it's not blood in the urine.

Sorry couldn't offer more help with the colour of the wee but could I suggest that it's better not to stop carrots every day but just to reduce it to a very small portion and continue to give it every day.

Here's some text from a very useful diet sheet I was given at my local rescue centre for you to have a look at. It might actually help your bunny with his wee and his poo.

"The key with a rabbit's diet is to be consistent with the portion size and what you feed so that your rabbits gut can build up the right bacteria to digest what you give them. For example, in a rabbits gut there are specific bacteria to digest the things they eat frequently so there would be specific bacteria to digest rye grass, specific bacteria to digest timothy grass, specific bacteria to digest parsley etc. In a healthy rabbit, there will be a wide range of these “good bacteria” living happily along side one another. These keep the “bad bacteria” that can cause upset tummies and infections crowded out too. But, the good bacteria only live a few days at a time and if they don’t have a job to do, digesting their specific food type, they die off. When bacteria die off, they release gas into the gut and this can cause very serious illness in rabbits such as “bloat” and “gastric stasis”. Owners assume its more interesting for the rabbit to feed a variety of foods, and this is a nice idea, but you should feed the variety inside each portion. For example, don’t feed a portion of Kale one day, a portion of cabbage the next, a portion of broccoli the next, spring greens the next etc Instead feed one portion per day consisting of a small amount of all these things."

Last edited:
my vet has told me to total remove store bought rabbit food from his diet as its not really good for them and stick to just tim hay and greens... does anyone else do this...

rabbit wee can be orangy/reddish colour caused either by what they've eaten or sometimes caused by something stressful like a new bunny in their area.

Back