• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tesco "Rabbit Hutch" Update WITHDRAWN From Sale

Neil-and-Maria

Warren Veteran
Went in Monday and one of these was made up in store along with loads of other pet stuff. The instore price is £40 and I'm sure it must come with a lifetime guarantee of misery for your rabbit :roll:. I wouldn't keep a single guinea pig in there, let alone a rabbit. I should think a dutch rabbit say would take up half the cage. It also has a grill on top of a tray at the bottom for easy cleaning and permanent discomfort.

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.100-7479.aspx

And there's me thinking this was 2008 not 1908.

Neil

Last edited:
i saw this ins tore yesterday. I also went to a pet shop where they had one fo those plastic hutches that's smaller than the hutch you've shown, with a half level raised higher than the ground... they said it was suitabel for small rabbits. I went and talked to the woman and advised her that it was far too small! she said whenev someone buys one they ask the customer what animal it us for and advise them against using it for rabbits.

i jsut wouldnt stock the thing!!!

This is a copy of the email I received from the RWA, if anyone wants to add their voice to the campaign

One of our members has kindly contacted us about their local Tescostore stocking extremely small ‘value’ rabbit hutches for £40. Theyhave also been seen in other large branches of Tesco and, from what Ihave been told, are absolutely tiny, not big enough for any smallanimal, let alone a rabbit. It would appear that the discount hutchesare part of a national promotion. Our Welfare Officer contacted Tesco in October of last year pointingout that they are selling hutches well below our recommended minimumof 6 x 2 x 2 feet. The letter cited the Animal Welfare Act andexplained that by stocking these small hutches Tesco is sending amessage to consumers which undermines the basic message of properanimal welfare. The response received from Tesco was far fromsatisfactory and showed little sign of them discontinuing the productsthat fall below the recommended standard. We are contacting Tesco again but it would make a massive differenceif you could add weight to the argument by voicing your own concernsdirectly to Tesco, and try and make them accept their responsibilityas a retailer to support and promote good animal welfare. Supermarkets are all about profit so if they get enough complaintsthen they may well see sense. The email address to write it is customer.service@tesco.co.uk. Thanks for all your support, it really does make a difference

This is a copy of the email I received from the RWA, if anyone wants to add their voice to the campaign

One of our members has kindly contacted us about their local Tescostore stocking extremely small ‘value’ rabbit hutches for £40. Theyhave also been seen in other large branches of Tesco and, from what Ihave been told, are absolutely tiny, not big enough for any smallanimal, let alone a rabbit. It would appear that the discount hutchesare part of a national promotion. Our Welfare Officer contacted Tesco in October of last year pointingout that they are selling hutches well below our recommended minimumof 6 x 2 x 2 feet. The letter cited the Animal Welfare Act andexplained that by stocking these small hutches Tesco is sending amessage to consumers which undermines the basic message of properanimal welfare. The response received from Tesco was far fromsatisfactory and showed little sign of them discontinuing the productsthat fall below the recommended standard. We are contacting Tesco again but it would make a massive differenceif you could add weight to the argument by voicing your own concernsdirectly to Tesco, and try and make them accept their responsibilityas a retailer to support and promote good animal welfare. Supermarkets are all about profit so if they get enough complaintsthen they may well see sense. The email address to write it is customer.service@tesco.co.uk. Thanks for all your support, it really does make a difference

Thanks for that Kathryn. I was genuinely shocked at this cage, you really have to see it to believe it and let's face it, it must be bad for me to resort to posting. I urge you all to take a few minutes to send an e-mail to Tesco to complain about this "hutch".

Neil

This is what I just sent them...

I was in your Blackpool Clifton Road store on Monday and noticed what you describe as a medium sized rabbit hutch retailing at £40. This item is pitifully small, so small in fact that it is not suitable even for a guinea pig. Even the smallest breed of rabbit would fill more than a third of the floorspace and wire floors are definitely NOT suitable for rabbits. Is profit so critical that you feel the need to retail this product that guarantees a lifetime of misery for a rabbit?

Neil

I had already e mailed Tesco about these but as yet received no reply:(

I emailed them and this is what I received :-

"Thank you for your email.

I am very sorry that you are concerned regarding the rabbit hutches we have on Tesco Direct.

We find all customer feedback incredibly valuable as this helps us when we are looking at ways to make our service better. I would like to assure you that I have fully logged the points you have made. These will be directed to the correct area of the business.

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to share your views with us.

If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us at tescodirect@tesco.co.uk quoting TES4625563X."

G

I also emailed them this...

The Animal Welfare Act and Rabbits Owners

The new Animal Welfare Act is a new piece of animal legislation that places a 'duty of care' on owners and guardians of all pets. This means that it is still against the law to be cruel to an animal, but now owners must also ensure that all the welfare needs of their animals are met. The law came into effect on the 6th April in England, and the animal welfare law is being improved as of the 27th March in Wales.

The new law makes owners and guardians responsible for ensuring that the welfare needs of their animals are met, including ensuring:

A suitable environment for all animals
A suitable diet for all animals
Animals exhibit normal behavior patterns
Animals are housed with, or apart from, other animals if necessary
Animals are protected from pain, injury, suffering and disease
The new Animal Welfare Act increases the minimum age at which a person can buy an animal to 16, and prohibits giving animals as prizes to unaccompanied children under this age.

Anyone failing to adhere to these stipulations may be banned from owning animals, fined up to £20,000 and/or sent to prison.

What rabbit owners should keep in mind...

Environment:
It's not acceptable to keep a rabbit alone in a small hutch, without the ability to exercise.
Hutches should be a minimum of 6 x 2 x 2" - ideally with an attached run to allow the rabbits to exercise.
Runs should be a minimum of 6 x 4 x 4".
Diet:
Fresh food and water should be available at all times.
Feed as natural a diet as possible, ie mainly hay or grass, with a small proportion of greens and rabbit pellets.
Changes to the diet should be made gradually to avoid gastrointestinal problems.
Behavior:
Allow normal behavior, including digging, running, playing, hiding, etc.
Allow daily exercise.
Provide toys that allow the display of natural behavior.
Companionship:
Rabbits are sociable animals and should not be kept alone, unless a houserabbit has adequate human company.
A male/female couple usually get on better together, but will both need to be neutered and introduced to each other carefully.
The companionship of another species, eg guinea pig, is not generally successful.
Healthcare:
Yearly myxomatosis and VHD vaccinations are necessary.
Regular heath checks are also advisable, this is when nails can be cut, teeth can be trimmed and general health can be monitored.
Regular checks at home are also advisable to check teeth and nails are not overly long, monitor weight and check for any parasite infestations, eg mites, flystrike. Flystrike is particularly common in the summer and rabbits should be checked at least once or twice a day.
For further information about the Animal Welfare Act visit:

DEFRA - www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/welfare/act/affect.htm
The Office of Public Sector Information - www.opsi.gov.uk/ACTS/acts2006/20060045.htm

As Tesco seem to be set to overtake the world, they really ought to take notice and set some standards. I dread to see they consider 'small'. :evil:

I emailed about the other hutch that was higlighted on here and got the following reply.

"I was sorry to learn that you are unhappy with the rabbit hutch we are selling on our Tesco Direct site.

I do fully appreciate the comments you have made in relation to this matter and would like to assure you that your feedback has been passed to the relevant department. This will be taken on board at the next review meeting. I cannot guarantee that action will be taken, however your views and comments are invaluable to us."

OMG I have just seen this £40 hutch in the flesh and boy am I disgusted, I was kinda going into one in the shop :oops: My OH was getting embarressed, My Lionel would barely be able to sit up in there, but imagine if my sisters bun Phoebe was put in there?! She wouldn't be able to sit let alone stand, its so horrible :cry::cry:
Did anyone contact the RSPCA to see if they could speak to them?

I emailed them on 26th December - this was the reply I had on 28th December:(

Thank you for your email.

Apologies for any upset caused, I have passed your comments onto the Tesco Direct Team whom will look into this for you.

If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us at tescodirect@tesco.co.uk quoting TES4523804X.

Kind Regards

Kayleigh Warner
Tesco Direct

They are not bothered:( I was in my local store and heard two assistants saying how well the pet range was doing. I think they should hand over a large chunk of their profits to some of the rescues:(

Sue x

I've just emailed. I think we should all boycott using the store and services until they remove the hutch. It might just help make them take it seriously and stop selling these things.

This is the email that i sent:

"Dear Sir/Madam

I have been a loyal Tesco customer for many years, using my local branches, Tesco Grocery delivery, and Tesco Direct. I have always considered you before now to be a fair and decent company. This has changed since I found you were selling the following product:

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.100-7479.aspx

This hutch is well below the recommended minimum of 6 x 2 x 2 feet and is against those standards set in the Animal Welfare Act. It is little more than a torture box for some poor rabbit to "live" in. Uneducated customers will buy it thinking wrongly (as I once did) that Tescos are a company to trust and would only sell the right size hutches. I implore you to remove these from your shops and if you want to sell hutches, please sell the minimum 6x2x2 so the animal living in it won't end up with wasting muscles and bones from lack of space, urin scold and other agonies.

If you really believe your slogan, "Every Little Helps", I'm sure you will understand that this shopper amongst many others will stop using your services from now on until you have removed these. I'm sure every little must help in your profit margins and bottom lines....???

I hope you do the right thing as I have always thought you a better company than this.

Yours faithfully"

Back