• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rydale runs

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
I've been thinking about getting a Rydale hutch and run, but I can't see how the run fits to the front of the hutch. Also is it a pain in the ass to get to the doors when the run is attached? Does anybody know?

I'm thinking about getting this one (if they can do it in 6 foot):

http://www.rehutches.com/doublehutch05.htm

Would a 6 foot version of this hutch be OK for 2 rabbits (one small/medium and one medium/large)?

Unfortunately they wouldn't have permanent access to the run because they are both mucky b*ggers and will pee and poop in the run, so the concrete will need washing/disinfecting and leaving to dry every few days.

Amy

I just ordered that hutch and im waiting for it to arrive now :lol: I bet it wont come today now :roll: :lol: Ive wasted 2 days just sitting by the window :oops:

I got it in 6ft :D but with a bedroom part on each level because I will be using it as two seperate hutches for now. And mine are under 2ft in hight each because otherwise it wouldnt have fitted on the thing they had to use to send it to me, it could only be 4ft high in total.

Not sure about the runs, I really wanted to order one but with the postage already and extra postage the run would probably have been I couldnt afford it so im just going to build my own :shock: So I would be interested in knowing how runs are attached to hutches like this so I know what kind to make :lol:

I would have thought it would be ok for two buns, my two will be in the same hutch just without the ramp and not together x

I have the 6ft whopper version and paid extra for the height to be 2ft each level :D I have the run its 6ft by 5ft. It isnt too bad getting in the run as the door flips all back I just crawl to the hutch then. My run is about 2ft 2" and again was more because it had to fit against the 2ft layer hutch :D Excellent quality hutches.

I have the 5ft version of that hutch in extra height for Sunnie and Cloud. The 6ft one would be big enough for two medium sized bunnies, but I would make sure that the opening for the ramp is big enough. Maybe they can make it a bit bigger. The hole is just about ok for a medium sized bunny, but there is a piece of wood attached to the ceiling of the bottom level (not sure how to explain this), which gets in the way. Sunnie needs to make herself a bit "flat" to get past that piece of wood. I can take a photo, if you like. I would ask them if they could make a bigger opening and a slightly wider ramp for a bigger bunny.
I can't help you with the run, but I'd think that it is easier to clean the hutch when you remove the run first.

Thanks for all the opinions so far...keep them coming :D

Gisela, A picture would be really helpful. It's not easy to see in the website photos.

Amy

this is my hutch and i think it is fantastic, it was delivered to me in folkestone from up north somewhere! and they were very helpful. we have actually unscrewed the run now so it is not attached to the hutch which means I can roll the run back to make cleaning out easier. This also means when the buns are in the garden they can go in the hutch when they want. at night i roll the run back against the hutch so they have a secure run at night. This is only in summer as they are house bunnies in winter

176.jpg

we have actually unscrewed the run now so it is not attached to the hutch which means I can roll the run back to make cleaning out easier. This also means when the buns are in the garden they can go in the hutch when they want. at night i roll the run back against the hutch so they have a secure run at night.

What do you mean by 'roll'? Is the run on wheels?

Amy

no i just tip it back on the side. my buns can then come out when they want and it means the grass patch gets a breather. i have a quite a secure garden but if i want to move the run i can place it against another wall and they have a different bit of grass:)

not sure exact dimensions, about a 1x2m. the website will prob be more exact. i can tip the run back on my own and put it back again, but it is easier with 2 people each side. You just have to make sure it is pushed back against the hutch securely.

I just ordered that hutch and im waiting for it to arrive now I bet it wont come today now Ive wasted 2 days just sitting by the window

they should tell you when they will come, they rung me an hour before when they expected to arrive from the motorway and were bang on time:)

oops sorry, dont know how to do that blue thing in quotes but the above message was for sillyrabbit

I just ordered that hutch and im waiting for it to arrive now :lol: I bet it wont come today now :roll: :lol: Ive wasted 2 days just sitting by the window :oops:

try again with quote thing! they should let you know. they were very helpful with me

i agreed a date with them and they told me the approx time they would arrive and then rung me from the motorway an hour before they expected to get there and were bang on time. i found them very helpful. it was a very long drive for them and they were going on to birmingham to deliver a hutch after me

Last edited:
They delivered mine on a Sunday morning, but I think that's when they do the London area. They told me the day and approximate time when I ordered the hutch, and then called me 2 days before the delivery to confirm it.

Ok, here are some photos. Please excuse the mess, but this is what two bunnies can do to a brand new hutch within one month. Little Mr Sprayball will get deplummed tomorrow, so that may improve the interior decoration. The missing wood has to be blamed on Sunnie, she seems to prefer soft rounded edges and corners. :rolleyes:

This is the opening for the ramp:

ramp1.jpg

This is an action shot to show you what I meant with that piece of wood that gets in the way:

ramp5.jpg

And this is the messy couple:

ramp4.jpg

Cheers for the photos Gisela :D

I see what you mean about the ramp issue. My larger bun might have trouble squeezing her fat bum through that hole. :lol:

I can't believe the amount of damage Sunnie and Cloud have caused in a month! They look so innocent on the photo! :shock:

Argh, don't know what to do now. I didn't really want a two storey hutch, but I need to be able to seperate the rabbits at feeding time. Anybody got any suggestions?

Amy

I always went "ewww" when I saw one os these "used" hutches on ebay, but now I know that it takes very little time and only one unneutered male to cause that amount of mess! :rolleyes: It doesn't help that his urine is very dark sometimes.

You could still ask if they can make the hole and ramp bigger. You'd lose some more floor space, but as the hole is almost in the corner, it isn't such a big problem. My Happy Hutch has a bigger opening and a wider ramp, they sell double decker hutches, too. The quality isn't as good as the Ryedale ones, though, and I am not sure where they put the opening. In my combo, the opening is in the middle of the hutch.

Could you build some kind of divider to put into your current hutch during feeding times? How long do they have to be separated each time?

Mine doesnt have the piece of wood shown in BB's piccie at all :? Its a straight run up mine.

I don't think you'd really need that piece of wood, anyway. It is just there to stabilise the top floor and the frame work, I guess.
But as this one is "extra height", they should expect that people order it for bigger bunnies, so the ramp opening should really be adequate. Maybe I should e-mail them with the photo and suggest to change the size etc..

Back