• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Happy hutches or other combos

Jocelyn

Mama Doe
Stupid question but are they fox-proof? As in if I got one [looking at the 6ftx2ft hutch with the 6x4 run attached] and had it on paving slabs would it be okay for them to have permenant access to the run?

Also do the doors have proper bolts on - I can't really see from the pictures - I know I can add them myself, it'd just be good to know :)

Or if anyone can recommend similar set ups to this from a different company that'd be fab - I'm rather new to all this outdoor rabbit business as mine have always been in my room - but if we get the new flat they will be living mostly outside when the weather starts getting better [coming in for cuddles if they like and a run around the house :)] so I'm looking up the options now!

The HH ones don't have bolts on. I've added them onto mine and used perspex on the hutch doors and run lid to keep things dry.
My boy has access to the run 24/7.

I've got the combo where the run is the same size as the hutch - it's much better in my opinion for several reasons, and they have plenty of space in the larger sizes. I prefer this design because it's safer from predators, easier to cover over completely at night, making it safer and warmer too, keeps the run dryer in the rain (although I put boards up at the sides too) keeps the run shaded in hot weather (again I put boards up at the sides) and best of all the doors open on the run, so they can go in and out without having to be lifted out of the run or hutch. Mine's based on concrete and they have access to the run 24/7, but I do barricade it like fort knox at night with rugs, fencing panels and bricks.

I've got the combo where the run is the same size as the hutch - it's much better in my opinion for several reasons, and they have plenty of space in the larger sizes. I prefer this design because it's safer from predators, easier to cover over completely at night, making it safer and warmer too, keeps the run dryer in the rain (although I put boards up at the sides too) keeps the run shaded in hot weather (again I put boards up at the sides) and best of all the doors open on the run, so they can go in and out without having to be lifted out of the run or hutch. Mine's based on concrete and they have access to the run 24/7, but I do barricade it like fort knox at night with rugs, fencing panels and bricks.

I like that idea, but I'm worried that they're not going to have enough space - they're used to being free range in my bedroom which is a large double, so they've always got space to run about like crazy things - ideally I'd like to be able to keep that to a certain extent and let them run around the garden/indoors whenever I can. I know OH will be ok with letting them out whenever he's home though so maybe it won't be too bad!

I will have a ponder over it whilst they do our references and credit checks and hopefully come to some sort of decision by the time we move!

My rabbits settle down for a snooze and poopy eating at around 11am, sleep till 3ish, then start eating hay for an hour - so they don't need a lot of running space during the middle of the day, and if someone can let them out for a run morning and late afternoon (mine come out at 4 or 5pm) they'll be fine. They do need a big hutch for wet weather like we're having though - Maa's in a 2x4 hutch over run same size, and it's too cramped I think because of the ladder taking up so much space.

Back