• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please read this story!!!!

Melefi

New Kit
Please can you All read this two part important Story: I will explain what has happened over the last week.
I started off with posting this on the "Lionhead message board"
and greatfully had a lot of kind words from other member, and Now I believe everyone should be allowed to know the Risk's with " xenex"!!!!

Please can you help me, as I really want to get to the bottom of this?
My eight month old female Lionhead (Splodge) passed away on Saturday, and I need some advice/answer as to why this has happened? She was a perfectly healthy, friendly, loving house companion. I recently used a lice treatment “XENEX”that the vet provided as she’d picked some up from the hay. And within the first hour I noticed that she was scratching a lot (this was mentioned on the packaging), but her skin didn’t seem irritated. By the morning she’d become really quiet and didn’t want to be bothered, where she normally loved the attention. But the following morning I noticed she gone off her food so I took her to the vets (9.00am Saturday). He checked her over and told me everything (Temp/Heart) was normal, and this lice treatment was regularly used and unheard of to any serious problems and shouldn’t cause me to worry, but I still wasn’t happy with her not eating. He provided me with liquid food and gave her an injection to keep her bowls moving and he told me to keep an eye on her. There didn’t seem to be any improvement and then at 4.00pm Saturday she seemed to have a fit and devastatingly passed away.
Please if anyone know of any illness or has ever seen or heard of anything similar Please let me know…..

Very Sad owner.

R.I.P Splodge the Perfect Companion.

PART TWO:

Since then I received a phone call from the vet's telling me that their investigating the company and the lice product. They believe “Splodge” had a terrible reaction to the product and they’ve never witnessed anything like this before. The following day the vet informed me that “Splodge” was poisoned and she isn’t the first rabbit for this to happen too.

So why the hell are “XENEX” still selling there product???!!!!!????

I have recently spoken to the vet’s and there currently investigating “XENEX” who acknowledge there fault and admit that this isn’t the first rabbit fatality!!!!! The vet’s are still working and trying to get them to take the responsibility for Splodge’s death….

I am devastated with everything that has happened.
You put all your faith and trust into getting the best care for your beloved/part of the family Companion! Money shouldn’t be an issue here, but over the last two weeks I have paid for all her treatment/after using there product to try and help her recover (over £300 pounds) and this is what I’ve ended up with, an empty cage. I’m devastated.

Sadly there have been reports similar to this already on this forum. I, amongst many others, wont use xenex on my rabbits.

Im so sorry about whats happened to Splodge. I didnt realise using Xenex could have such awful consequences.

I know alot of rabbits have had bad reactions to it, but I had not heard of any fatalities until now.

I used Xenex on my rabbits as they were going into boarding while I was on holiday. It was at the request of the lady who ran the boarding that I used on my rabbits before they went in. They both had localised reactions involving redness of the skin, itching, soreness etc. After about 20-30 minutes of watching the poor things scratch and bite themselves, I washed it off. One of my rabbits had to go to the vets the following day as the skin was very sore and broken.

I will never use Xenex again.

Again, Im really sorry for your loss.

I am so sorry :( I have heard of this once before, I can't believe that this product is still available for sale if the manufacturers know this can happen :cry:

Oh no :cry:

I'm so sorry for your loss... are you okay?

That is terrible that this Xenex isn't labelled clearer about its possible side-effects on rabbits. I remember being wary of using a spot on treatment recommended by an old vets on Tilly. After a bit of research, I found out it had lethal effects on rabbits :censored: Needless to say, I didn't go back to that vets and used a different product. Even my new vets had heard that the recommended treatment wasn't safe for rabbits... I can't remember the name now but has anyone else had problems like this? It's terrible how manufacturers are so cautious with the larger animals but the little 'uns don't really get a look in. Aren't there like EU regulations as to how they label their products... I mean Melefi's case is one of however many unneccesary cases of premature death :censored: :censored: :censored:

Once again, I'm really sorry *huggles*

Xenex reaction

Yes - I posted a thread on here before about a bad reaction my rabbit had to Xenex. :(Her neck was red raw from the stuff - like a burn - and she was just being treated for nodular myxi too!) Her neck fully healed from the reaction in about 2 weeks. However I think the fact that she had the Xenex reaction in the first few days of myxi knocked her recovery back. She is also an old bun (9yrs) which may also be why its taking her so long (17weeks so far), though almost all of the (31)lumps have gone now.
I remember there was an RU member on here at the end of Oct 07 trying to collect information from those whose rabbits had had reactions to Xenex but I can't remember her name,sorry - you would need to search the site.

I am so very sorry to hear that your bun didn't make it :cry:following the Xenex reaction. -Sue

Go to search and type in Xenex and you will find lots of threads and others whose bunnies have had bad reactions-Sue

Please can you All read this two part important Story: I will explain what has happened over the last week.
I started off with posting this on the "Lionhead message board"
and greatfully had a lot of kind words from other member, and Now I believe everyone should be allowed to know the Risk's with " xenex"!!!!

Please can you help me, as I really want to get to the bottom of this?
My eight month old female Lionhead (Splodge) passed away on Saturday, and I need some advice/answer as to why this has happened? She was a perfectly healthy, friendly, loving house companion. I recently used a lice treatment “XENEX”that the vet provided as she’d picked some up from the hay. And within the first hour I noticed that she was scratching a lot (this was mentioned on the packaging), but her skin didn’t seem irritated. By the morning she’d become really quiet and didn’t want to be bothered, where she normally loved the attention. But the following morning I noticed she gone off her food so I took her to the vets (9.00am Saturday). He checked her over and told me everything (Temp/Heart) was normal, and this lice treatment was regularly used and unheard of to any serious problems and shouldn’t cause me to worry, but I still wasn’t happy with her not eating. He provided me with liquid food and gave her an injection to keep her bowls moving and he told me to keep an eye on her. There didn’t seem to be any improvement and then at 4.00pm Saturday she seemed to have a fit and devastatingly passed away.
Please if anyone know of any illness or has ever seen or heard of anything similar Please let me know…..

Very Sad owner.

R.I.P Splodge the Perfect Companion.

PART TWO:

Since then I received a phone call from the vet's telling me that their investigating the company and the lice product. They believe “Splodge” had a terrible reaction to the product and they’ve never witnessed anything like this before. The following day the vet informed me that “Splodge” was poisoned and she isn’t the first rabbit for this to happen too.

So why the hell are “XENEX” still selling there product???!!!!!????

I have recently spoken to the vet’s and there currently investigating “XENEX” who acknowledge there fault and admit that this isn’t the first rabbit fatality!!!!! The vet’s are still working and trying to get them to take the responsibility for Splodge’s death….

I am devastated with everything that has happened.
You put all your faith and trust into getting the best care for your beloved/part of the family Companion! Money shouldn’t be an issue here, but over the last two weeks I have paid for all her treatment/after using there product to try and help her recover (over £300 pounds) and this is what I’ve ended up with, an empty cage. I’m devastated.

I'm so sorry for your unecessary loss. It will probably be little comfort to you now but Splodge's passing won't have been in vain because by drawing attention to this issue you have probably saved many other rabbits from suffering the same fate. I for one had no idea of the problems associated with the drug so huge thanks for posting at this difficult time. I hope the company accepts liability for this awful outcome and the product is pulled from the shelves. I hope in time you will be able to remember all the happy times you both shared. Rest in peace Splodge.

Last edited:
That is so awful.:cry::cry:

Thank you so much for sharing it with us though I will make sure that if ever my vet recommend Xenex' I'll tell him where to go.

Is there any way you can post the ingredients on the bottle so we'll know what to avoid in future products? Thank you. I'm so sorry for you and your precious bunny.

This is awful! I hope your vet isnt going to use that product again on any other animal, you did all the right things, surely you are intitled to some sort of compensation, although it wont bring your poor little bunny back they have to be made accountable. Im really sorry for your loss :cry:

Hi, we are so sorry for what happened to your bunny:cry: We are in shock that this product is on the market!

We googled the product and this is what we found - online stores describing it as "There has never been an easy to use, safe, veterinary product for the broad spectrum control of ectoparasites on small herbivore mammal species." No warnings or anything. Only one review saying it made her bunny really sick. See http://www.naturalpetcare.co.uk/petshop/product_info.php?products_id=471.

And check what the National Office of Animal Health UK) is saying - http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Genitrix_Ltd/Xenex_Ultra_Spot-On/-39394.html "Target Species - Rabbits, guinea pigs, rats, hamsters, chinchillas, mice, other small rodents. Not cats, not ferrets." "Contra-indications - Do not use on Cats. This product is toxic to and may kill cats."

And
http://www.genitrix.co.uk/products/xenex_rabbits.htm
http://www.petmeds.co.uk/Products/Xenex-Ultra-Spot-On

How about we all send them emails and demand that they take this product away?

Is the producer this company http://www.genitrix.co.uk/?

I will check the Eu regulations (being a lawyer nerd...) :)

All the best from Sandra and Vardi

Back