• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please Read this Important News!!!!!!!!

Melefi

New Kit
Please can you All read this two part important Story: I will explain what has happened over the last week.
I started off with posting this on the "Lionhead message board"
and greatfully had a lot of kind words from other member, and Now I believe everyone should be allowed to know the Risk's with " xenex"!!!!

Please can you help me, as I really want to get to the bottom of this?
My eight month old female Lionhead (Splodge) passed away on Saturday, and I need some advice/answer as to why this has happened? She was a perfectly healthy, friendly, loving house companion. I recently used a lice treatment “XENEX”that the vet provided as she’d picked some up from the hay. And within the first hour I noticed that she was scratching a lot (this was mentioned on the packaging), but her skin didn’t seem irritated. By the morning she’d become really quiet and didn’t want to be bothered, where she normally loved the attention. But the following morning I noticed she gone off her food so I took her to the vets (9.00am Saturday). He checked her over and told me everything (Temp/Heart) was normal, and this lice treatment was regularly used and unheard of to any serious problems and shouldn’t cause me to worry, but I still wasn’t happy with her not eating. He provided me with liquid food and gave her an injection to keep her bowls moving and he told me to keep an eye on her. There didn’t seem to be any improvement and then at 4.00pm Saturday she seemed to have a fit and devastatingly passed away.
Please if anyone know of any illness or has ever seen or heard of anything similar Please let me know…..

Very Sad owner.

R.I.P Splodge the Perfect Companion.

PART TWO:

Since then I received a phone call from the vet's telling me that their investigating the company and the lice product. They believe “Splodge” had a terrible reaction to the product and they’ve never witnessed anything like this before. The following day the vet informed me that “Splodge” was poisoned and she isn’t the first rabbit for this to happen too.

So why the hell are “XENEX” still selling there product???!!!!!????

I have recently spoken to the vet’s and there currently investigating “XENEX” who acknowledge there fault and admit that this isn’t the first rabbit fatality!!!!! The vet’s are still working and trying to get them to take the responsibility for Splodge’s death….

I am devastated with everything that has happened.
You put all your faith and trust into getting the best care for your beloved/part of the family Companion! Money shouldn’t be an issue here, but over the last two weeks I have paid for all her treatment/after using there product to try and help her recover (over £300 pounds) and this is what I’ve ended up with, an empty cage. I’m devastated.

Last edited:
contact jacks jane as she was doing a study on this before. we too had a bad reaction when chelsea had been given this however we could see the reaction immediatly it came up like someone had thrown boiling water over her..she was obviously in pain( it was only given to stop more bites as she already had nodular myxi) we believe this has greatly hindered her initial progress though she is now almost all better from the myxi and the xenex healed a while back. if you want my support in writing anything to xenex pm me. if u type xenex into the search you will get other threads on this from other ru members
below is one link
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=76652&highlight=xenex

Im so sorry to hear about Splodge, what a terrible thing to happen. You only want the best thing for your animals and then something like this happens, you must be devestated.

Perhaps we could all help to try and get XENEX removed, and if not that inform other animal owners about this dangerous product.

the problem is it seems to be fine in some rabbits and cause major problems in others. i personally will never use it again. it is already banned from use in i beilieve cats.

I lost one of my first rabbits in a very similar way around 10 years ago. My vet prescribed Frontline spray for lice and at the time there had only been couple of fatalities (I didnt know this at the time). My little Boomer died fitting and the cause of his death was solely due to the Fronline, I'd been prescribed. I was totally gutted.

His case was noted and used to help ensure that Frontline wasnt prescribed for rabbits again. It isnt these days. I think the trouble with a lot of products is they havent been throughly tested for rabbits and apparently a couple of deaths isnt enough for it to be withdrawn or to change the prescribing instructions!

I totally know how you must be feeling, and you have my deepest sympathy.:cry:

Hi Everyone....

Yes this was a treatment only for rabbits, it states on the packaging that it is deadly to cats, so don't use it if you have cats!even traces of it on your skin can be fatel!
Splodge died because of this lice treatment.

Yes this was a treatment only for rabbits, it states on the packaging that it is deadly to cats, so don't use it if you have cats!even traces of it on your skin can be fatel!
Splodge died because of this lice treatment.

im so gutted for you :(:(

im so sorry this has happened.....:(
our old bun oscar had a severe reaction and his fur never grew back where the stuff burnt it away and he suffered gi stasis bouts after that.

cant say for def the gi stasis was down to xenex but the squealing running mad and itching and losing huge patches of fur till he got another shot to calm it down. the vet at the time was horrified..he took the pack and put it in his bin..my dear he said why were you trusting something thats likely to kill a cat..it must have a terrible effect on any animal in that case...and you ave cats...dont buy it again.
i never have.

i had a f riend whose cat died of using tiguvan i think it was called to deflea her cat as a regular preventative...so sad.....

This is horrible! I will post your story on another forum I'm on so at least their bunnies will be safe. I'm so sorry for you and your bun.

I know this is a hard time for you, but could you please list all the ingredients on the bottle so we'll know what to avoid?

My bun had an awful reaction to Xenex spot on too, a while ago now. Firstly it burned a patch on his skin and the lost his fur in that area. The skin was really pink and angry looking for a long time even though I tried washing it off. Then that evening his behaviour changed and he started crawling around with his body very close to the floor...it was very worrying and I will never ever use the stuff again. Jack's Jane started a thread about Xenex spot on a while ago. She was in the process of collating info on rabbits that had experienced bad side effects after using the treatment.

It really shouldn't be being sold after all that I have heard about it and you can still pick it up over the internet and vets. I was recommended it by the receptionist at my local veterinary centre.

More needs to be done to get this product off the shelves. I'm so sorry this has happened to you. Have you been able to contact the drugs company?

Big hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Back