• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nia's EC result

capel

Warren Veteran
Well, after 2 months on Panacur the level is completely UNCHANGED:? Her weight has gone up from last week though, so I wonder if her weight loss was caused by the cancer?? Any thoughts?

Well, after 2 months on Panacur the level is completely UNCHANGED:? Her weight has gone up from last week though, so I wonder if her weight loss was caused by the cancer?? Any thoughts?

If she was titre tested that means its not an active infection, rather residual antibodies.

OH! I hadn't realised that..*scurries off to send Kevin yet another email*! Should the treatment not have had some effect on the antibodies then? So does the fact that the levels haven't gone up give some reason to hope that she could possibly be bonded with anotherbun or will she always be at risk of infecting him?

If the titre test showed antibodies had increased it means the infection is active. If they had lowered it shows she was responding to treatment and the infection was slowly being destroyed.

If it remains stable it shows that the antibodies remain from a previous exposure which is not active and therefor not a 'threat'.

This is how they discovered 50% of rabbits had been exposed to EC but not 50% of rabbits HAD EC. Key difference, those who had been exposed simply showed residual antibodies to indicate their immune systems had fought the infection at some time.

This is why blood tests for EC are expensive, they need to be repeated at least 3 times to evaluate the titre.

Last edited:
OH! I hadn't realised that..*scurries off to send Kevin yet another email*! Should the treatment not have had some effect on the antibodies then? So does the fact that the levels haven't gone up give some reason to hope that she could possibly be bonded with anotherbun or will she always be at risk of infecting him?

Remember the treatment is designed to kill the parasite, not the antibodies. Its like how people learn to create their own antibodies after vaccination so that should they become sick the body has a store to fight off the illness. Nia's body is prepared for there to be a 'next time'.

Last edited:
Thanks Sooz. :) I understand it now!! Would that explain why despite the high levels, we've never seen any sign of muscle weakness or head-tilt? She was a bit wobbly when we got her but was in quite poor condition and had been confined to a small cage for a couple of years(!!) prior to being taken in by the woman from whom we got her. She also had the most peculiar gait but that was obviously due to the muscle weakness combined to her spinal problem. Heck, she does sound a bit of a wreck, doesn't she?:)

So if the parasite was still active her symptoms would have increased along with the levels?

Whilst Panacur treats EC by killing the protozoa it cannot undo any damage that has been done. So if Nia had had any problems with co-ordination and muscle weakness it could have been caused by EC in the past.

If her titre score is high it would suggest that it was a very aggressive infection that she had. I am not sure how they manage to fight off the infection and why some rabbits can and others cannot. I guess its one of those as yet unsolved mysteries like why some rabbits never develop symptoms.

As it is still not understood why and how some carriers develop symptoms and why different rabbits are affected in different ways I dont know if she would have got progressively worse. If her titre score raised showing she had higher antibody levels it would indicate she was fighting a more virulent infection, however, it would not give a reading of the level of protozoa present because a titre only measures antibodies.

Cant comment on the tecnic side but if it helps you plan a bit.... I had a rabbit who was PTS due to EC after he became paralysed/ataxic. He developed increasingly severe symptoms which initially I didnt recognise as EC and neither did the vet until he was too badly affected. His partner was exposed therefore for 2-3 months and probably more like a year and yet she shows no antibodies for EC at all on testing!!!!

Back