• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ideas 4 filling run made 4 wildie buns

Nicola3

Mama Doe
Hello friends :wave:

I had a lovely big enclosure made for the wildie buns last year. It's built on paving slabs which they don't like. They used to have a large run on grass but I had to supervise them all the time just in case they dug out. They loved the grass as they used to run and play amongst it and try and nibble the strands.

Please could you give me some ideas on what to put in the run. Firstly I would like ideas as to what to put on the floor to make it more exciting and softer for their feet.

I would also like to put plants and shrubs for them to play amongst including the kind of greenery they would have access to in the wild. Any ideas greatly received.

Also any ideas for playing-eg tunnels, places for them to dig, hide, climb up anything to stimulate them and keep them happy.

DSCF1065.jpg

DSCF1066.jpg

Any ideas v gratefully received! Piccies also very welcome.

Thank you,

Nicola and Harvey xx

Wow - that's a serious bunny palace!

Can't suggest much to help I'm afraid - we're currently attempting to grow seed trays of grass for the buns to munch/play in but it's going very slowly (I know - it's the wrong time of year, but my gardening skills mostly consist of optimism and very little else! :lol:)

A planter of bunny friendly herbs might go down well - they can play in it and have a munch too. Our boys were very happy when we let them eat basil and parsley off the plant!:lol::lol:

Good luck :wave:

assume they cannot be rehabilitated then? ok well in the rehab pens we used to have in glos wildlife rescue centre we used large pipes (sewage style ones) partially burried in the mud to allow them to use as a burrow (obviously if you needed to get one out would have to dig this up so not too deep. We used grass underneath so they could play but about a foot under this was a layer of mesh which ran all the way beneath the enclosure to stop them burrowing out before they were released. so what you could do is to put a layer of turf over the slabs (it would need watering each day)( but this would give them grass to play on.

also would put in a flower bed and plant things like black berry bushes (can get the thornless varietys if prefer. also put in plants like nasturchums (a garden favourite) plants such as vetch are wild varietys rabbits like. hope this helps i only volenteered there a very short time so i dont know that much about it!

Not sure if its safe, but something softer on the slabs like bark/wood chipping? Would need to do some research though first.

Fab place, very jealous!

An old shelving unit would probably be popular - Scamp loves to climb!

I don't know how well plants would do in a confined space but you could grow eatable plants/herbs on the outside against the mesh so they could nibble as they grow through but not get at the stems/roots to finish them off.

A childs sandpit would give them some depth you could add soil etc. to for digging in - don't forget drainage holes in the bottom to let any rain out. Alternatively you could lift a few slabs and dig down then line the hole and use that for digging.

I do think its a good idea to give them grass to nibble at and if it were me, I'd take up a couple of slabs, dig down and mesh the bottom, then put some turf down. An easier idea would be to put turf into deep litter trays, but it wouldnt last as long and would either dry out or get too wet without drainage holes. Also if they toilet on it, it tends to get bogged down and die without drainage.

Great accomodation though, theyre very lucky bunnies.

Hello :wave:

Thank you all for your fab ideas :wave:.

Unfortunately Harvey was injured in the road as a baby and as a result his jaw is slightly misaligned. He has to have his molars burred every few months and had to have his inciors removed so no chance of rehabilitation there. Primrose was handreared from a baby and is Harveys partner (she's spayed).

I take in wildie buns that for one reason or another cannot be released and I want to make their surroundings as stimulating as I can.

I have some tubes. A sandpit is a good idea. I have seen the bark chippings in other peoples pics-is it safe to use and how do you keep it clean? Shelving unti is a good idea as they do love climbing and getting into mischief :D

Bunlover-thanks for the fantastic ideas!!! Do you think turf on top of the slabs would survive? If so that would be fantastic as they really don't like the slabs and I feel guilty that they don't have their grass to play in.

Thank you so much for all your input. Please keep your ideas coming. I probably won't start working on it properly until the weather gets better but I want as many ideas as I can so I can start buying plants and looking into it all.

Thank you!!!

Big hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

well done in all your rescues yes turf should survive as long as is watered you may need to re seed it annually though (as after nibbling and diggin it will dry out a bit! but it should work. good luck nice big enclosure which is a good thing xx

We have mesh on the bottom of the run, and have put bark chippings over it. Very popular with Ruby, who's my only diggy bunny.

Large grow bag tray filled with potting compost and grass sown in. Have about 3 and swap them on a regular basis.

Make a wire hanging basket up with edible herbs like parsley, thyme and maybe a nastersium on top. Stick the plants all around the outside. Hang up high enough to they can have a nibble but not too much. Again swap in and out to allow to recover. You could also try lavender and mint but probably in their own pots as they are thugs. Basil in the summer.

A really big, deep well drained digging box filled with organic compost and sand.

A really big, deep well drained digging box filled with organic compost and sand.

We have a big rectangular water but (actually use it for fish) I bet that would make a great digging box. It's about 2.5' high and 3'x2' :D

Back