PDA

View Full Version : 'Sarabi' is now a nameless male (now called ZAZU)

winegums2007
22-01-2008, 10:41 AM
Took her/him to the vets today for the free health check, and found out Sarabi is actually male. He is now nameless and I dont know what to do.
Carys is telling me I will still be able to bond him to Kovu once hes castrated, but how? Wont they fight?

honeybunny
22-01-2008, 10:44 AM
oh dear..
yes 2 males can be bonded but can be more difficult than a male/female pair...depends on the rabbits...

Isabel
22-01-2008, 10:45 AM
Hello, no once they are both castrated it should just be like a normal bond. I've got two boys living together. There was not really any more trouble between them than with them and Roxy. There are a few people with two boys together. Don't worry, give it a try thats all I can say. In fact some people say its easier as girls are more territorial.

p.s Roxy grew up as Roger ;)

Azraelm
22-01-2008, 10:45 AM
It might be possible. Worth trying seeing as you already have him now- if it doesn't work you could find him a nice home and adopt a female.

BirdieBun
22-01-2008, 10:49 AM
I have 2 boys together Donkey and Bobby. I think a male and male will be easier as you dont have a female bunny in the vacinity to cause any problems with regards to competition. When I bonded my 4 (2 of each sex) the boys were by far the easiest to bond :D

If you get your boy neutered and things dont work out I am sure as he will be vaccinated and neutered a rescue would take him in if you had a female from them :D

BirdieBun
22-01-2008, 10:50 AM
Hello, no once they are both castrated it should just be like a normal bond. I've got two boys living together. There was not really any more trouble between them than with them and Roxy. There are a few people with two boys together. Don't worry, give it a try thats all I can say. In fact some people say its easier as girls are more territorial.

p.s Roxy grew up as Roger ;)

Yep I agree I know Tree says males are much easier than females in her experience :)

winegums2007
22-01-2008, 10:54 AM
If you get your boy neutered and things dont work out I am sure as he will be vaccinated and neutered a rescue would take him in if you had a female from them :D

But I dont wanna pay for that then just get rid. If I'm going to rehome him I'd rather do it before spending too much on him. My vet funds are very very limited so I wouldnt wanna use money up unncessarily.

I'm going to see if I get anymore replys though and decide from there. Hes still booked in for his vaccinations on 5th Feb at the moment though.

BirdieBun
22-01-2008, 10:56 AM
But I dont wanna pay for that then just get rid. If I'm going to rehome him I'd rather do it before spending too much on him. My vet funds are very very limited so I wouldnt wanna use money up unncessarily.

I'm going to see if I get anymore replys though and decide from there. Hes still booked in for his vaccinations on 5th Feb at the moment though.

Yes but what I am saying is if you do get him neutered and vaccs you could take a neutered and vaccs female in his place IF things didnt work out.

winegums2007
22-01-2008, 10:58 AM
But then obviously I'd still need to give the rescue a donation cos theyve paid for her so I'd still be loosing out.

BirdieBun
22-01-2008, 11:01 AM
Well it depends on what is more important money or the bunnies, there was always this risk that this could happen, after my experience and the bunnies Tree has taken in she has had to deal with so many mis sexed bunnies its unreal. She even has peopel saying I have a grey lop female, Tree gets there its a black nethie male :roll: Its just the way it goes :rolleyes:

winegums2007
22-01-2008, 11:03 AM
Yeah I know it was the risk but she seemed so sure, guess she just hadnt sexed him recetly.
Need to name him really, cant keep calling him 'him' or 'it'.

Towsbuns
22-01-2008, 11:22 AM
You should be able to get two males together, may take a bit longer but it is possible. There are many people on here with male pairs.
As for names - and assuming you want to stick with the Lion King type theme. What about Ahadi (Mufasa and Scar's father) or Taka - which is Scar's proper name. The two male Hyenas are Banzai and Ed. Otherwise what about a name that means lion - look on www.babynamesworld.com and search by meaning - there are loads.

SOAD
22-01-2008, 11:46 AM
I've biys together, in fact I al;ways find them easier to bond, it's girls I have trouble with :lol::lol:

winegums2007
22-01-2008, 11:48 AM
'Sarabi' is now Zazu.

honeybunny
22-01-2008, 12:36 PM
Like his new name..and as already said you can bond boys but sometimes can be more difficult..sometimes if both are laid back can be easy...

As for the worry about spending your money if having to give him up..
that's pets for you....either of your bunnies..or your other pets could suddenly need vet treatment..

and dare I say perhaps you should have checked the sex when you picked "her" up....

Not trying to be nasty here but perhaps it's a good warning to other people to double check when taking in an unknown bunster..

lets hope your boys end up best of friends!:D Maybe a rescue near you will bond them for a small donation..takes the worry from you...?

winegums2007
22-01-2008, 12:40 PM
When I colelcted him though it was literally frm a box in the back of a car from the woman, couldnt of checked there and then! Plus Id rather have him at home in mine than in a small cage. Would you rather I had just let him go back into that?
I know you would of rathered I'd had one of your rabbits Jill.

And Carys is going to help me bomd them :)

honeybunny
22-01-2008, 12:47 PM
When I colelcted him though it was literally frm a box in the back of a car from the woman, couldnt of checked there and then! Plus Id rather have him at home in mine than in a small cage. Would you rather I had just let him go back into that?
I know you would of rathered I'd had one of your rabbits Jill.

And Carys is going to help me bomd them :)

Actually Debbie no I wouldn't rather you had one of mine at the moment..as you said yourself you failed the homecheck..

and a rescue bun is a rescue bun...yes this one needed out and you got him..
I was just making sure other people check so don't end up in your dilemma.
I really hope your two bond and live happily in your new shed:D
And well done carys for helping you to bond them..good luck!

winegums2007
22-01-2008, 12:53 PM
Im glad I failed the homecheck as it meant I could go on to find this beautiful boy. Anyway, I'd rather rescue from the freeads as they need rescuing now, whereas rescue rabbits are already safe so what would be the point in prioritisng them?

It isnt a dilemma anyway, I'm much positive about it all after reading the helpful replies I had.
And Carys was always going to assist me with the bonding away, had he been male or female!

honeybunny
22-01-2008, 12:57 PM
Good..all's well then..

and don't be so defensive..you posted this as a problem..
I commented to help other people not take on a mis sexed bun and ..you then made the comment about not having one of our bunnies...
I really didn't mean to cause you any upset and do hope your 2 get on well..

so no need to see trouble where there isn't any???:D

winegums2007
22-01-2008, 01:00 PM
Since when was there a problem? I was being defensive, just saying the truth. In my point of view, rabbits in rescue are already safe, they dont need rehoming as they're already in a safe home where they will be looked after. Whereas animals on free ads usually arent.

honeybunny
22-01-2008, 01:02 PM
I'm fed up of hitting my head against the wall..can't keep buying all this paracetamol...
so I'm off this thread as you just can't help some people :roll::roll:

winegums2007
22-01-2008, 01:05 PM
What have I said wrong now? :roll:

Doncat5
22-01-2008, 01:25 PM
Another classic example of a thread going bottoms up!

I think you did sound a bit defensive, but I guess thats the problem with text, it doesnt always read as you mean it. :?

I do think Jill has a good point though, about taking in an unknown rabbit, whether it be from freeads or somewhere else, it is a risk, and perhaps by reading this, others can be warned to have a good check over first. We've all heard the mis sex stories, my own brother had a male rabbit for 2 years but when I checked, it was a female, a lot of people just dont check, or dont even know what to look for, so its no-ones fault.

I hope your 2 boys bond really well, but I dont think I'll be so lucky, my Bob hates the sight of Comet, and I think their personalites may clash, so I'm not prepared to risk any injuries, fortunatley, I have the space and funds to get them a wife each, if need be.

Its good you have some back up for bonding, and I wish you lots of luck, do let us know how you get on.:D

Miloe's_Mum
22-01-2008, 02:09 PM
I'm fed up of hitting my head against the wall..can't keep buying all this paracetamol...
so I'm off this thread as you just can't help some people :roll::roll:

Dont blame you Jill! sometimes you cant do right for doing wrong! :roll:

winegums2007
22-01-2008, 03:00 PM
No idea whta I've done wrong. I knew I'd be slated just cos I didnt go to a rescue :roll:

RavinRabbit
22-01-2008, 03:09 PM
Debs - think you need your new shed ASAP. At least then it'd be completely neutral for them as Kovu's territory is definitely his room so if they're going to live together it'd probably be good if it was a new area.

However, obviously you have the problem that it's not the weather to be switching bunnies to outdoors.

winegums2007
22-01-2008, 03:09 PM
Plus the fact that right now I cant afford a 220 shed!

RavinRabbit
22-01-2008, 03:12 PM
Zazu is a very appropriate name. Isn't one his opening lines in 'The Lion King' when he sings 'I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts!'? :D

BirdieBun
22-01-2008, 03:13 PM
Yeh as soon as you can you will get your shed but until then the pen in the house is no smaller than what a crate is and I know plenty of people that crate their house buns whilst they are not there to supervise ;)

At the end of the day Debs has Zazu booked in for jabs, had a health check the day after she got him and he will be castrated after vaccs.

I think there are many bunnies that could do alot worse ;)

winegums2007
22-01-2008, 03:14 PM
Yes he sings that in the film lol
I usually only stick to the lions but saw the name Zazu and thought its perfect with Kovu!

sillyrabbit
22-01-2008, 03:18 PM
Yes he sings that in the film lol
I usually only stick to the lions but saw the name Zazu and thought its perfect with Kovu!

:lol::lol: As soon as you said you were looking for a new name I was going to suggest that :lol:

Hope they bond if you decide to try :D

norrielian
22-01-2008, 03:18 PM
What's done is done and sexing isn't always easy anyway so don't feel bad.

I'll keep everything crossed for a successful bond. A friend of mind bonded two boys with no problems so try not to worry. Even if he was a she, doesn't mean they would have bonded then either so sex doesn't make that much of a difference. Good luck and keep us updated :wave:

winegums2007
22-01-2008, 03:26 PM
He was very obviously a he once the vet showed me, but yesterday I didnt check as I just went for the womans word (who is now also confused as she believe he was a she too!) but hey I still love him :D

Miloe's_Mum
23-01-2008, 10:27 AM
No idea whta I've done wrong. I knew I'd be slated just cos I didnt go to a rescue :roll:

Its absolutely nothing to do with you not going to a rescue - My miloe was from a breeder.

I think its just the way you keep bringing up the fact you were failed a homecheck - you sound really bitter and defensive about it and Jill hasnt said one thing about it, she's only trying to advise you!

winegums2007
23-01-2008, 10:31 AM
Erm it was actually JILL who boiught it up in this topic...

Actually Debbie no I wouldn't rather you had one of mine at the moment..as you said yourself you failed the homecheck..

and a rescue bun is a rescue bun...yes this one needed out and you got him..
I was just making sure other people check so don't end up in your dilemma.
I really hope your two bond and live happily in your new shed:D
And well done carys for helping you to bond them..good luck!

Miloe's_Mum
23-01-2008, 10:41 AM
Erm it was actually JILL who boiught it up in this topic...

I'm not getting into an argument Debs - you have brought it up on other threads before, and dont want to seem to drop it! Just because you failed a homecheck doesnt mean you are a bad bunny mum!

honeybunny
23-01-2008, 11:40 AM
Well i was keeping out but
just to put things straight ..
Debs you mentioned the failed check on your other thread about this bun the same day as comments on this one..

the fact you failed the check has nothing to do with the point I was trying to make about ANYONE taking on an unknown rabbit to make sure they get the sex right and that it is healthy so cannot cause probs for their existing bunnies.

You were making remarks to the effect that I was unhappy you'd taken on a rabbit instead of one of ours..
well..again as already said..no I'm not...

I have wished you well with these 2 and hoped the bonding goes smoothly

Even the quote of mine you have included above is polite and makes that very point..if you read all of it..

No wonder I'm overweight ..there are some people who just make me want Sooooooo much trifle!!!!!

chloaster
23-01-2008, 08:50 PM
Im glad I failed the homecheck as it meant I could go on to find this beautiful boy. Anyway, I'd rather rescue from the freeads as they need rescuing now, whereas rescue rabbits are already safe so what would be the point in prioritisng them?

:? This has to be the most bizarre and ignorant statement I have read on here!!! The ones in rescue are safe yes, but what about the ones that rescues can't take in because they're full????? :roll: And who is going to advertise on free-ads for people to come round and see their rabbits if they are living in the squalour that some rescue rabbits come from? Your baby boy is beautiful and obviously well cared for, don't believe that this is the case for all the bunnies on the rescues waiting lists!!

CottonMather
23-01-2008, 09:39 PM
Some of the things that have been said on here have really shocked me...
first off:

second of all, it was towards the end of the film that Zazu sings that song!!!

I really do despair! :rolleyes:

Wispa & Zola
23-01-2008, 10:08 PM
second of all, it was towards the end of the film that Zazu sings that song!!!

I really do despair! :rolleyes:

that made me laugh so hard but only because it is so irrelevant!

Joanne26
23-01-2008, 10:13 PM
No wonder I'm overweight ..there are some people who just make me want Sooooooo much trifle!!!!!

Haaaaa :lol::lol::lol::lol:

That comment made me laugh so much! :lol:

You are obsessed with trifle!!! :rolleyes:;):lol::lol:

winegums2007
23-01-2008, 10:29 PM
:roll::roll::roll::roll::roll: