• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Possible Root Tooth Infection

Herbert'sMum

Warren Scout
Herbert still isn't 100% with his food after his dental in December so the decision has been made (at his new surgery where I went for a second opinion) to put him under to give him X rays. His jaw feels smooth, however, the vet has given me a list of possible problems and one of them is a root tooth infection (she believes it could have been aggravated during his last op). She advised that if loose, they would remove the offending tooth, however, if it was still firm in the socket it would be left in place as it would be too traumatic/risky to remove. Saying that they would do everything possible to try and solve any problem whilst he was sedated. I asked about what other treatment could be offered at home if this was the case and was told that as Herbert was still perky etc. and I had a good relationship with him (ie. could assess his quality of life) they would attempt to control it with antibiotics/painkillers. I'd like to be prepared so was wondering if anyone could offer some further advice/let me know what to expect and also whether there are any other questions I should ask. I'm wondering if he should be given something to protect his stomach if on medication long term to prevent ulcers. Thanks to all those who reply in advance. I really appreciate your help as I'm so worried. Silly I know, but I can't stop crying over Herbert even though I won't know what the problem/prognosis is until Thursday.....he keeps looking at me like I'm some mad woman. I know it comes to us all but I just can't bear the thought of him not being here.

Last edited:
Which tooth is it affecting?

Tooth root infections can quickly turn to jaw abcesses and spread weakening the bone structure and in some cases tracking to behind the eye and creating a retrobulbar abcess.

It needs heavy antibiotic treatemnt and painrelief to keep his gut steady. He will need probiotics to support his gut flora whilst on abx.

I really do empathise Herbertsmum. I have a similar problem with my Wellington.
He's had dischrage from his left eye and started to lose weight. The vet has checked his teeth and they are fine, he's never needed a dental but the vet thinks its an abscess above his molar which is why its affecting his eye too. :( I'm not sure what treatment i should expect him to be given. All I've found in searching on the net is that the prognosis is not that great :(

You may have seen my thread about Peppermint who had surgery yesterday for a jaw abscess. When the xrays were done, it wasn't obvious it was a tooth, but there is abnormal bone development.:( Basically, Peppers has come home with the abscess drained and is on anti-biotics and pain relief. I have to take him back Thursday when I hope he will be given more pain relief. I have been researching into the benefits of Manuka honey and there are others on here who have experience of it. The prognosis for Peppers is poor, so I'm of the oppinion that as long as I don't make him feel worse, trying the honey can only be a good thing. I wish you lots of luck with Herbert and Wellington.

Thanks Maizy. Wellington's is I think in his upper jaw so I'm not sure it would be operable. I havent been able to have a proper discussion about it with my vet yet, i'm hoping to tomorrow.
Sending vibes for Herbert and Peppers x

Which tooth is it affecting?

Tooth root infections can quickly turn to jaw abcesses and spread weakening the bone structure and in some cases tracking to behind the eye and creating a retrobulbar abcess.

It needs heavy antibiotic treatemnt and painrelief to keep his gut steady. He will need probiotics to support his gut flora whilst on abx.

Thank you all for responding....I couldn't access the site yesterday to reply. I won't exactly know what Herbert's problem is until he has xrays tomorrow but I'm sure it will be as the vet has suggested and am preparing myself for the worse. I think the only way forward then is to give him the chance to fight it using all available 'ammunition' and see how he responds. Is there any particular medication I should request? I'm assuming that Baytril won't touch this.

You may have seen my thread about Peppermint who had surgery yesterday for a jaw abscess. When the xrays were done, it wasn't obvious it was a tooth, but there is abnormal bone development.:( Basically, Peppers has come home with the abscess drained and is on anti-biotics and pain relief. I have to take him back Thursday when I hope he will be given more pain relief. I have been researching into the benefits of Manuka honey and there are others on here who have experience of it. The prognosis for Peppers is poor, so I'm of the oppinion that as long as I don't make him feel worse, trying the honey can only be a good thing. I wish you lots of luck with Herbert and Wellington.

.....and Peppers too. Can you give me any more information about using the the Manuka honey as I have a jar in my cupboard? Strange that you should mention it because I almost thought about giving him some yesterday but stopped because of the sugar content. I'm willing to try anything though.

I *think* Ceporex (cephalexin) is whats usually suggested as the first line of attack. He will need probiorics such as Avi-Pro or BioLapis adding to his water all the time he is on abx plus 1 week following. Also, due to the painful nature of this condition (anyone who has had a tooth abcess will tell you its agonising!) I would also request Metacam (meloxicam) to relieve pain and inflammation and make it easier for him to keep eating.

Thanks Maizy. Wellington's is I think in his upper jaw so I'm not sure it would be operable. I havent been able to have a proper discussion about it with my vet yet, i'm hoping to tomorrow.
Sending vibes for Herbert and Peppers x

Thanks.....I'm thinking and praying for Wellington too.

I *think* Ceporex (cephalexin) is whats usually suggested as the first line of attack. He will need probiorics such as Avi-Pro or BioLapis adding to his water all the time he is on abx plus 1 week following. Also, due to the painful nature of this condition (anyone who has had a tooth abcess will tell you its agonising!) I would also request Metacam (meloxicam) to relieve pain and inflammation and make it easier for him to keep eating.

Yes, I've had a tooth abcess so I know it is the worst pain ever, however, strangely some rabbit info sites say it is not terribly painful, more uncomfortable. I can't believe that because Herbert is a fighter and for him to be fussy with his food means it's more than just uncomfortable! I just feel so guilty that he's been in pain all this time. I have been to the vets ten times since Christmas trying to sort this. He's been on Metacam for the last couple of weeks but thanks for providing the other info which I have made a note of.

Back