• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grrrr Family & Rabbits

Debs2811

Alpha Buck
I feel so angry and upset. My hubby went over to see his parents this afternoon ( i stayed home as i was not feeling well) Anyway they have only recently found out that we have 6 rabbits and they were not happy about it to say the least. I usually get on quite well with my in-laws but after what hubby told me they have said Im fuming and just dont want to face them.

They said that havig a rabbit in a bedroom (our small nethie dwarf) was unhygenic, dirty and they smell and was "not the done thing" and told us we should get rid f him as soon as possible if we absolutely had to keep "it":evil: then we should put it in to a small cage that wasnt as noticable as they dog crate in which he lives, as smaller cage as possible was his dads words!!!!!

Then as for our outside bunnies they said we should also get rid of those as rabbits were an odd pet to own and didnt look very nice on our patio.......again if we had to keep them then they should be put down at the bottom of the garden out of sight from the house

ive been fighting back the tears all evening i dont know whether to scream or cry.

We are selling our house and my in-laws have been helping us box things up and they said there was no way anyone would buy our house if we had rabbits in it as if it was them it would put them right off. Also as we are moving to rented accomodation in scotland they assumed we would be moving in to a luxury appartment but now they realise we have rabbits then we will have to have a house and just have to settle for what ever we can get!!!!

Hubby explained to them that we have rabbits as we cant have children so our pets are our babies and they said that as we cant have children we should adopt or foster children as they are much more worthwhile and more rewarding them a bunch of rabbits, but ultimatly we really should get rid of them.

They also asked how we were going to get them moved to scotland, and hubby explained we would put them into boarding while we move, so his dad said well we should just leave them there and not go back for them!!!!!

I have always quite like my hubbys parents but tonight i can honestly say i HATE them at the moment!!!!

Sounds like your hubby's parents aren't very understanding at all, or love animals for that matter :?

So sorry you are going through a though time, but don't let them get to you. Could you invite them over, it may give them the opportunity to see how lovely they are... you know, educate them a bit?! ;)

Don't take anything they say to heart, ultimately they are your babies and you will take them where ever you want to go.

Chin up, hugs xx

They have been ovr and seen the rabbits thats how they found out we had them, hubby has never told them before as he sort of knew they wouldnt be happy about it, but i never expected them to be so outspoken about how they felt about them, their grandson has a rabbit and that seems fine to them, but us having rabbits somehow is very wrong...............i know i shouldnt take it to heart but i just cant help it. my mother-in-law is really unsympathetic about the fact i cant have kids either and that i find it hard being around babies as it upsets me. t makes me wonder if she feels that i shouldnt have married her son if i cant give him kids!!!

They have been ovr and seen the rabbits thats how they found out we had them, hubby has never told them before as he sort of knew they wouldnt be happy about it, but i never expected them to be so outspoken about how they felt about them, their grandson has a rabbit and that seems fine to them, but us having rabbits somehow is very wrong...............i know i shouldnt take it to heart but i just cant help it. my mother-in-law is really unsympathetic about the fact i cant have kids either and that i find it hard being around babies as it upsets me. t makes me wonder if she feels that i shouldnt have married her son if i cant give him kids!!!

Mother in-laws can be strange beasts :? People we daughter in-laws may never understand. Don't let her get to you, you love her son, you don't have to love her! And you have nothing to prove to her either.

I think the quite dig about how clean rabbits are wouldn't go a miss next time she disses your bunnies!

I really hope you work things out and they managed to de-blinker themselves and see what lovely creatures they are :D

(hugs) They sound pretty cold people. Maybe over time they'll come round to the idea. Could it just be them getting upset that you're moving to Scotland?

Mother in-laws can be strange beasts :? People we daughter in-laws may never understand. Don't let her get to you, you love her son, you don't have to love her! And you have nothing to prove to her either.

I think the quite dig about how clean rabbits are wouldn't go a miss next time she disses your bunnies!

I really hope you work things out and they managed to de-blinker themselves and see what lovely creatures they are :D

Thanks, just cant believe they said such things, hopefully ill feel better about things in the morning.

Its a pain though that they feel so strongly about it as we were going to ask to stay with them for a week or so once we have sold our house while we sort things out for the big move up to scotland and i was hoping we could take the bunnies to their house before we put them in to a boarding place. I wouldnt want to stay there now........if my babies arent welcome then im not welcome, thats how i see it.

(hugs) They sound pretty cold people. Maybe over time they'll come round to the idea. Could it just be them getting upset that you're moving to Scotland?

Nope they are quite happy about us moving, unfortunatly i think they are quite materialistic people, they think that you should have a big house and lots of money to be happy, they have never liked where we live now as they think its too small and as its ex coucil house its not good enough for us.

They did say that we shouldnt b wasting out money on rabbit food and vet bills, that there were more worthwhile things to spend our money on!!!

They did say that we shouldnt b wasting out money on rabbit food and vet bills, that there were more worthwhile things to spend our money on!!!

Thats what my Dad thinks :roll:

When I told him about Caspian's illness and the vet trips and all the medication he was on at the end he not so subtley hinted that I was wasting my money and that I should have had him PTS when he first got sick.

Cant wait til he finds out how much Fiver's dentals cost :shock: :?

my dad bless him used to be like that with buns we had..till he fell in love with oscar!

my mum still does it now even tho she adores bertie and bif and has warmed to willow.
this is the woman who thinks a lionhead should have his mane cut off cos she doesnt like it!

she says the housing association will evict me for having house buns..and two cats..when theres people with brats like devils wrecking their houses and living in filth made by feces from big dogs shut in the gardens etc:censored:

shes been very nasty and made me cry..you must hide them or people wont think youre healths not as bad as you say or nikkis:shock::censored:

and thats my mum....i feel for you i really do...its not something people understand who have been bought up cold like that.
heres hoping theyll convert like my dear departed dad did. xx

My in-laws are the same...but worse :lol:

They keep saying that my house rabbits are unhygenic, but their dog sleeps in bed with them...UNDER THE DUVET! :shock:

Plus They deliberately bring their dog over and let it off the lead to scare the rabbits.

Basically what it boils down to is that they think the way they live their life is RIGHT, therefore anything you do differently is automatically WRONG :roll:

Hugs

Amy

I empathise - my stupid :censored: of a grandmother [can't stand the woman and neither can any of my family including her sons!] made me cry at Christmas by telling me how cruel I was in front of my whole family that I kept my rabbits in my room. People like that can just **** off.

omg how shocking! :shock: how often do your in laws visit if they've only just found out???? and i bet they wouldn't say anything to your face. It's made ME angry enough that i want to confront them!!!

I can only sympathise. hopefully your husband defended you both well and you can't really do anything more unless your willing to confront them.

my mother in law is the opposite in that she thinks she knows everything about everything, inc rabbits :roll:. thank fully i don't see her often - she hasn't visited my house in over a year.

live your life how you want to hun and don't pay attention to nasty comments. its hard, but you have to learn to let them wash over you. all this woman is going to succeed in doing is distancing yourselves from her.

take care hun xx

:-( How cruel of them. I believe even if someone hates someone else's lifestyle choice they should at least be respectful and keep it to themselves.

They are obviously not 'animal' people. My Nan thinks it's a bit weird having rabbits in the house, but she would never be so rude about it. It's just unheard of for her.

I bet theyve never had the pleasure of having an animal love them have they??

I really dont get on with non-animals people, I always find theres something fundamentally wrong with them and theyre lacking in 'something'.... but apart from that, I think its highly desrespectful to say what they have.

As for not selling your house... my friend had a spare bedroom that literally looked like one big bunny hutch, hay and poo everyone and 2 old bunnies hopping around. A few people were a bit shocked, but she sold it no problem, to a family with 2 children and the room is now lived in my a little girl, with no trace of bunny poo!

I'd be grateful theyre your in-laws and not your parents!:D

they're being daft, just ignore them. My grandma in law refuses to believe that you can litter train a rabbit, even though she has seen them hop into their litter tray & do a huge pile of poo. She refuses to believe that they are as intelligent as cats in this respect. I just ignore her and start talking about macro economic policy or chaos theory to her other grandson instead which annoys her as she's got no idea what I'm talking about.

My ex's parents used to say having a house rabbit was unhygenic :roll: I just ignored them.

I tend to agree on selling the house though, its always reccomended not to have pets around when you have viewings. When I still had my house bunn I used to put her in the run outside and tidy thoroughly, and then show people around.

Make sure when you send the inlaws birthday cards, christmas cards etc you sign them from yourself's and the bunnys (each one by name). Just to show how much a part of your family the rabbits are. If they make any stupid comments about rights or wrongs of having rabbits as pets ask them where they got their information from "because actualy having had them as pets you have obviously so much more knowledge from the experance and research you have probably done since you first had them as pets.

Keep smiling at least you know the utter enjoyment you get from having amimals as part of your family. It is a pleasure which they will never have!

They can't make you physically get rid of your bunnies. Ignore them. I would hate it if anyone told me to get rid of mine. I'd tell them to :censored: off.

They did have a cat which died of old age last year, so they have had pets, but i dont think they view pets as part of the family.....there just pets!!! When there cat was diagnosed with kidney problems and the vet told them it would need medication everyday they seriosly considered haveing him PTS as they didnt think animlas lives should be prolonged with medication. In the end the vet convinced them to try the medication route and see how the cat went so they did.

We also have a small dog and the in-laws love her to bits, although they did say that we should have holidays more to see the world and just put our dog in kennels, they thought it odd when my hubby said we coudnt do that!!!

Anyway after a good nights sleep im still fuming inside, i know hubby wouldnt have fought our corner very well as he always acts like a naughty 5 yr old when his parents have a moan, he doesnt like his parents moaning at him so he often tries to shift the blame so im finding it difficult to be around him too today especially when he also said to me last night that although he would find it difficult to give up the bunnies he could do it, but he knew i couldnt.

The inlaws are coming over to our house again on friday, i really dont want to see them as i feel like im the isolated one.

They told my hubby last night that they felt that we as a couple had gone in to decline since we married 7 yrs ago because we dont go on holiday or go out isiting places like they do.

Like many of you have said i do feel they have over stepped the mark and personally i do feel it is very rude to tell someone else how they should live, or criticize their lifestyle choices.

They are coming over friday and have said they are going to go through all our cupboards and stuff, and As i do crafts and have a lot of craft stuff i have to justify to them everything about why i have it and what its used for and if its a valid reason then i can keep it!!!!!!

Right now i just wish i could pack a bag and take my bunnies and leave!!!

Back