• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch contents and layout

MaxPrimal

New Kit
Hi.

Just read the thread on bedding with interested. Just wanted to take it a step further if I can. What would people recommend for hutch contents.

To take my example: I have a two story hutch which I got with the two rabbits from their prev owner. The upper section is a living area with a single solid door in the bedroom area and a trap door for the ramp to the lower section. The lower section is meshed with with 2 doors.

In the totaly enclosed area (the bedroom) I put hay for sleeping on and warmth. The living area (which has a mesh side with a water bottle attached to it) has wood shavings on it, though there is now some shreedded paper after finding the rabbits seem to like this. I also put a small handfull of hay there as they seem to eat this more, than the stuff in the bedroom area.

The lower section is total empty but is where I put their food bowl in the mornings. When they are let out to the garden, I open one door and let them come and go as they please. At night they are locked upstairs with the trapdoor closed down.

This is how the previous owner did it and what I was told to do.

But I also notice the rabbits seems to spend a fair amount of time in the living area at night and not in the bedroom area. Is this normal?

So what else should be in there? I noticed some people mention litter trays. My rabbits seem to toilet in the corner at the top of the ramp mostly. Is this okay for them? There isn't really any room for a littler tray in the hutch (especially if the trap is open). I also wonder about all the hay in the bedroom - is it needed or can/should I put something else in there?

My rabbits are outdoor ones and they are not moved at night as I have nowhere else to put them. The hutch is backed against a 7' fence with a tarpaulin over the top (and held down. The tarp also goes down one side and again is secured as this is where most of the wind/rain comes from. The tarp also extends over the front a little creating a lip to try and limit any rain coming into the upper area.

Any thoughts are most appreicated.

Hi, that sounds pretty similar to my set up - although do they have access to a run aswell? Unless you're letting them out in the garden every day, they probably should have a run attached.

My rabbits usually sleep in the top area- they only go into the bedroom when they hear a strange noise and get scared.

I keep the lower area fairly empty though i have a second litter tray down there. I do try to introduce variations though both in their hutch and the run- I've currently put an old cat tunnel on the first floor (as well as the two tunnels they have in their run). I'm going to try cardboard boxes next I think. I wouldnt have thought they need confining to the top area at night - so long as the lower area is secure. You could add some extra bolts if you dont have any.

A litter tray makes it much easier to clean out - you could try and find a small tray in a garden centre like homebase. Or if you cant find something small enough you could encourage them to move there toilet area: put the litter tray in and put the soiled litter into it. keep doing this long enough and they should learn.

I also wonder about all the hay in the bedroom - is it needed or can/should I put something else in there?
Is straw cheaper than hay? If so, I'd be tempted to use straw as bedding, and keep the hay only for eating. At this time of year, they do need something to snuggle into for warmth.

The lower section is total empty but is where I put their food bowl in the mornings.
Some toys might be nice ;)

My rabbits use the bedroom to wee in although they are house rabbits and live in my conservatory at night with the hutch open, i put a litter tray in the bedroom (small cat one) then a two big ones in the corner of the conservatory. Ive had outdoor bunnies too, i used to put shavings down first to soak up any wee then straw ontop for them to snuggle in. You can get hayracks from petshops to clip to the wire to keep it fresh.

lara

I also have 2 floor hutch, the top floor has their water bottle on the mesh and then in the bedroom part I have lots of straw and their snuggle safe at night. Then the downstairs has their litter tray with hay rack on the mesh in front so that they can eat and poo at the sametime which they seem to do!

They have 24 hr access to their run through a hole in the side of the hutch, their run has a tunnel and a bench thing for them to sit on top, some willow things, hazel and willow sticks and cardboard. think they seem to spend most of their time outside tho even at night. the run is completely covered in clear plastic to keep the rain out and the hutch has a tarpaulin and thermol liner thing over the top covering the whole thing.

Helen x

In the top I line the floor with newspaper and use plenty of hay in the bedding section. I don't use any sawdust or hay, just paper, on the other half as Bluebell just used to kick all the sawdust down the ramp anyway. Also as the water bottle is upstairs I can easily change the odd sheet of paper if its leaked a bit. Downstairs I use newspaper and sawdust with a litter tray in the corner with a bit of straw in. He seems to spend most of him time snuggled up there. I also have a few toys and a hayrack. I find by using straw and having hay for eating I don't have to keep replacing his bedding. And it seems nicer that he eats stuff he hasn't been walking on.

Back