• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lolly's got a wound - HELP!

angeleyes

Warren Veteran
Sorry pic is not very clear she hates being picked up and struggled badly I am scratched all over! I have just found this on the top of her back what do you think it is? Should I take her to vet tomorrow? Am really worried :(
Lionel049.jpg

It looks like a puncture wound, consistent with a bite. The image is a bit blurry to tell for sure though :?

Keep the wound clean. If in the next few days, it looks like it's going nasty, then take her to the vets.

When we got Biscuit she's been bitten in the back of her neck buy a guinea pig and the vet told us to keep it clean and if there was any problems to take her back in.

That looks really nasty, how deep is it? Has it scabbed over at all? Just it doesnt look fresh in that second picture.

Looks like a VHD Vac reaction to me.
Lionel has probably been licking it too.

Just keep a close eye on it and if the surrounding tissue looks inflammed or if the sore area gets weepy I'd get Christabel to take a look

Janex

It looks really deep there is more than the one scab at the top it goes down further but her fur covers it.
It is dry not at all weepy, I feel so bad I didn't notice it before they had it done last Thur 10th :cry:

It looks really deep there is more than the one scab at the top it goes down further but her fur covers it.
It is dry not at all weepy, I feel so bad I didn't notice it before they had it done last Thur 10th :cry:

The VHD Vaccine is oil based and some Rabbits can hve a nasty skin reaction including several 'blisters' erupting around the site of innoculation. One of my Buns once had a very deep wound develop that took months to fully heal.

The blistering does not always occur straight away but develops a few days after vaccination. Then if the Bun or their friend keeps licking the sore area it just makes it worse.
I'd mention the *possibility* of a vaccination reaction to Christabel and she can note it on Lolly's records.
To minimise the risk of a skin reaction it helps to use a different needle to give the vaccine from the needle used to draw it up. Also massaging the site of innoculation for 2-3 minutes after giving the vaccine will help disperse it.

Janex

Thanks Jane I knew I could rely on you and your knowledge :)
I didn't think Lionel would have bitten her, there is no reason for him to and he has never shown any sort of aggression to us even through his illness.
I will give Christabel a ring in the morn.

Back