• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rex rabbits

Radish

Mama Doe
Hi

i've taken on two rex rabbits from an accidental litter,there were four buns in total and i've taken the two females.(hence my ptrevious question as to whether two females can live together).

Iknow nothing about rexes other than they get sore hocks( have fleece in the indoor cage to help with this)

They have a litter tray,wood to chew and toys, i've added some junior excel pellets to the rubbish mix they've had so far and will wean them over during this week. have booked them into vets for thursday evening for first myxo jabs(thought i'd give them a few days before subjecting them to the trauma)

please guys any advice you can give me regarding rexes would be very very welcome.

hello, lucky you with two rexs. I don't have rexes myself but it sounds like you are doing everything right. No extra info I'm afraid

Hello

Apart from the sore hocks issue Rexes can be cared for the same as any other Rabbit :D Keeping them off concrete and carpet helps minimise the sore hocks risk as does providing a deep soft bedding. Also, make sure their toe-nails are kept short.
They can sometimes have quite delicate tummies so any change in food should be done slowly.
If they are Orange Rexes then they may have poor near vision which can manifest as 'nervousness' or sometimes 'fear aggression'

Janex :D

The only difference in rex-rabbits from other rabbits is the fur, and they don't need any special treatment:D (Obviously nothing more than keeping an extra eye on their paws, I've kept rexes for 2 years and as of yet I've had one buck with sore feet, and that was because his cage hadn't bean properly cleaned out lately. After that he was kept in a pet store cage with sawdust only in the litter tray but he was fine:D (He used to have a pillow until he tore it to shreds one day... and if I tried to put bedding in the whole cage he'd shove it into a corner):roll: After the pillow got destroyed, he'd usually sleep on top of a plastic shelf. (Ferplast I think...)
Yet he lived like this nearly all winter until yesterday, now I've made him an extra large pen with a fleece-carpet underneath, which is basically to ease cleaning (just throw the carpet in the washing machine, so I won't have to clean the wall-wall carpet which I hope I never have to do:shock:)
The female lives outside on sawdust on a wooden floor (same cage Sasuke used to live in, I had them switch places after he got sore hooks to keep him out of humidity, as it was raining a lot) and she's never had sore paws.:)
But as my vet told me, sore paws are easier to prevent than to treat.

Luckily, my pair of rexes seem to be fairly hardy and despite having them on hard base in their run don't seem to get sore hocks.

A couple of things that seem to be fairly common are:

They have a tendency to be overweight if not kept on a good balanced diet. My two are hay monsters to the extreme so again I get off lightly.

They have relatively long quicks compared to other breeds and when they are dark it is easier to cut the cuticle in error. I have a castor rex boy who's nails always seem so long but I can only tip them as his cuticles are practically at the end of a long nail and his nails are black! I am told that little and often when clipping bunny nails can help the cuticles to recede.

As their whiskers are curly, I am told that they can be prone to entropians/in growing eyelashes too so keep a watchful eye just in case.

Hi,
I have a rex, I don't do owt differently to my other rabbit except keeping a close eye on her hocks, and giving extra bedding because their fur is shorter so they can get cold easier. Although having said that mine is always out in the rain and refuses to use her nice warm bed. :roll:

I have two and I use extra straw to keep them warm and Megazorb is an excellant litter over the floor for their hocks. It's very cushioning and soft. I use rubber mats in their run as I've had to put it on concrete because the grass is literally a mud bath. I love rexes. Good luck with your girls. They are a great breed.

I think the others have said it:
They are lovely very curious;
They get sore hocks so watch out for carpets, rough surfaces, ramps etc. Be careful not to let them go bald on their feet as once its gone it doesnt come back. I have to keep plasters on my girls feet but despite soft material under her feet she would suffer from soreness without plaster shoes;
Mine has had mites a couple of times which is no more or less than a normal bunny except I assume coz of her fur she goes kind of patchy and loses clumps of fur rather than anything else. The vets often dont think its mites but so far it always has been;
They say they are more prone to respiratory infections but whether this is true or not I dont know.
Enjoy!:wave:

Hello

Apart from the sore hocks issue Rexes can be cared for the same as any other Rabbit :D Keeping them off concrete and carpet helps minimise the sore hocks risk as does providing a deep soft bedding. Also, make sure their toe-nails are kept short.
They can sometimes have quite delicate tummies so any change in food should be done slowly.
If they are Orange Rexes then they may have poor near vision which can manifest as 'nervousness' or sometimes 'fear aggression'

Janex :D

hi

thanks....this is them

DSC00113.jpg

i do think they've just been unhandled as once i have hold of them they are very calm. i certainly feel they are mini rexes as they seem very small.

i trimmed their nails when i got them home and the food i will change gradually during the next week or so.

i also have to confess they both had topical ivomec which is a precaution i take with any animal coming into the house now after a bad experience which i never wish to repeat so any new pet gets nuked whether they bring uninvited guests or not.:oops:

Last edited:
They are really beautiful. Ive never had a rex so cant really give any advice unfortunately. I do love them though and hope to have one at some point in the future

I think the others have said it:
They are lovely very curious;
They get sore hocks so watch out for carpets, rough surfaces, ramps etc. Be careful not to let them go bald on their feet as once its gone it doesnt come back. I have to keep plasters on my girls feet but despite soft material under her feet she would suffer from soreness without plaster shoes;
Mine has had mites a couple of times which is no more or less than a normal bunny except I assume coz of her fur she goes kind of patchy and loses clumps of fur rather than anything else. The vets often dont think its mites but so far it always has been;
They say they are more prone to respiratory infections but whether this is true or not I dont know.
Enjoy!:wave:

Floss lost the hair on her front pads but it all grew back successfully.

Back