• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Worming and vaccinating at the same time?

~bailey~

Mama Doe
Just like the title asks, can I worm and vaccinate a bunny at the same time? I just started worming Bailey (panacur 9 day) and hes due a vaccination soon. Can they be done at the same time? If not, how long do I need to leave between them?
Also, Luuna is on baytril, how long after she finishes can she be vaccinated or wormed?

Vaccinating and worming a healthy bun is fine but you will need to ask your vet about Luuna, they will be the best person to advise you as it depends on what her illness is :D Def won't be done until she has finished the course and depending on what was wrong with her the vet may suggest waiting anything from a week to a month or even longer. Really depends on how he/she feels her immune system is recovering!

Last edited:
Ok thanks for that :) Shes not ill, Bailey injured her :cry: so the baytril is just to prevent infection. Shes been on it for ages though and the injury looks fine. Shes going to the vets for another check up on Tuesday so I will ask him then :) I thought because they are different types of treatment that they would be ok together, just wanted to check. Thanks :wave:

There are no rabbit vaccines in the US. What do you vaccinate for in the UK?

We vaccinate against myximatosis (bad spelling, sorry!) and VHD (viral haemorhagic disease). The worming is against worms (obviously!), but mainly EC (E.cuniculi, a parasite) :wave:

The Vets didnt mention anything to me about worming at all, how often does this need doing? Also do you think it is neccessary to worm a house bun?

The Vets didnt mention anything to me about worming at all, how often does this need doing? Also do you think it is neccessary to worm a house bun?

You get special rabbit panacur which is a paste in a tube that you give for 9 days as a preventative. The makers say to use it 4 times a year, but that seems a bit excessive. You can also get it in liquid form, which works out cheaper if you have a lot of rabbits/use for a longer period, but I don't know much about that kind.
As I said, it is used mainly to protect against EC, which a large percentage of rabbits carry. They can pick it up from other rabbits through spores in the urine, from their mothers when they are still babies etc. Usually it lies dormant, but in others it can cause problems. My two are house bunnies, but I am going to treat both of them. Bailey is having his 9 day course now, Luuna will have hers later as she is just coming off antibiotics. Its better to treat at the same time, but my two don't live together anymore.
Longer courses are used to treat for suspected EC, which can cause symptoms like head-tilt, excessive drinking and urinating and can ultimately be fatal.
If you use the search facility on here you will find out more about it, I'm not that knowledgable about it :oops:
Sorry for the long post! :wave:

You get special rabbit panacur which is a paste in a tube that you give for 9 days as a preventative. The makers say to use it 4 times a year, but that seems a bit excessive. You can also get it in liquid form, which works out cheaper if you have a lot of rabbits/use for a longer period, but I don't know much about that kind.
As I said, it is used mainly to protect against EC, which a large percentage of rabbits carry. They can pick it up from other rabbits through spores in the urine, from their mothers when they are still babies etc. Usually it lies dormant, but in others it can cause problems. My two are house bunnies, but I am going to treat both of them. Bailey is having his 9 day course now, Luuna will have hers later as she is just coming off antibiotics. Its better to treat at the same time, but my two don't live together anymore.
Longer courses are used to treat for suspected EC, which can cause symptoms like head-tilt, excessive drinking and urinating and can ultimately be fatal.
If you use the search facility on here you will find out more about it, I'm not that knowledgable about it :oops:
Sorry for the long post! :wave:

No thank you for your post, this is something that hadn't even crossed my mind. I assume you get this at the vet then, how much does it usually cost??

No thank you for your post, this is something that hadn't even crossed my mind. I assume you get this at the vet then, how much does it usually cost??

I'm not sure how much it costs, I got mine free when I went in National Rabbit week last year :lol: It will be cheaper to get it online, vets charge extra for things you buy from them.
You can get it here http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1105
Or here, but seems like only in this bulk pack :?
http://www.vetscriptions.co.uk/mm5/...e_Code=1&Product_Code=Pan5gRAB&Category_Code=

Back