• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

If Petsmart Can Do it in the USA..............

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
.............why cant P@H do the same in the UK ?

Copied from the House Rabbit Society's Website:

GREAT NEWS ABOUT PETSMART'S SALE OF RABBITS

12/18/07: House Rabbit Society just received word from PetSmart that they will be ceasing the test of rabbit sales in their stores, and will no longer be selling rabbits, once the current rabbits have been sold. We are thrilled with this incredible news and know that it was because of the phone calls, emails, and letters of our supporters to PetSmart that they have made this decision. Thank you for all your commitment to this issue and please let PetSmart know that you support and welcome their decision!

I was going to post about this when it happened, but thought it wouldn't seem relevant over there. It was due to the efforts of 'Best Friends' animal sanctuary and rescue. They put together petitions signed by vets nationwide, and of course regular citizens petitions. Cavysrock put the petition up months ago regarding Petsmart on here, which I signed and only realized was out there because of her post. They also had rescues nationwide protest the sale of rabbits at petsmart the weekend they began selling again, and put a massive effort into educating the public about the problem with pet store rabbits-that's what happened, the company backed down due to the bad press. Petsmart already had stopped selling rabbits a while ago, and partnered with rescues like your pet stores do in England, but they wanted to go back to sellng them for profit in 2007, and there was a huge outcry, so it was a 2-part victory.

I was going to post about this when it happened, but thought it wouldn't seem relevant over there. It was due to the efforts of 'Best Friends' animal sanctuary and rescue. They put together petitions signed by vets nationwide, and of course regular citizens petitions. Cavysrock put the petition up months ago regarding Petsmart on here, which I signed and only realized was out there because of her post. They also had rescues nationwide protest the sale of rabbits at petsmart the weekend they began selling again, and put a massive effort into educating the public about the problem with pet store rabbits-that's what happened, the company backed down due to the bad press. Petsmart already had stopped selling rabbits a while ago, and partnered with rescues like your pet stores do in England, but they wanted to go back to sellng them for profit in 2007, and there was a huge outcry, so it was a 2-part victory.

Our P@H used to be Petsmart until about 2000 or there abouts.

Janex

I was going to say wern't they petsmart? Are they part of the same company?

No, I dont think so :?
I think Petsmart sold out after rather a lot of bad media publicity including a 'hidden camera' documentary showing staff playing football with a hamster and aquariums full of dead fish

:evil:

Janex

I think Petsmart sold out after rather a lot of bad media publicity including a 'hidden camera' documentary showing staff playing football with a hamster and aquariums full of dead fish

Janex

:shock::shock: NO WAY I never heard about that :cry:
I thought there might be some hope if they were part of the same group just renamed :(

:shock::shock: NO WAY I never heard about that :cry:
I thought there might be some hope if they were part of the same group just renamed :(
There are petsmarts all over Mexico, so maybe it is int'l and the same group renamed in the UK for legal reasons due to the undercover exposure of bad practices.
Now I understand why a child(cavysrock) put up the petition-at the time I thought how sophisticated to be aware of int'l animal welfare.
This is the best friends site that gives the history of the news stories and how it transpired. The house rabbit society had a big part in it too I see now, but do not have the same degree of clout as Best Friends I'm guessing.
http://network.bestfriends.org/site...rt rabbits&Ntx=mode+matchall&Dx=mode+matchall

Janex

I always wondered what happened. Suddenly all the petsmarts became P@H and I just assumed it was a takeover or name change...

Lets hope P@H follow suit....

I've suggested several times trying the same thing here. In the US rescues have been placing foster rabbits in PetSmart stores - these take the place of the rabbits for sale. I think P@H were trying similar thing here with their adoption thing. Unfortunately there don't seem to be any rescues willing to partner up in this way in the UK which is a shame as it's been very successful in the US.

Tamsin

When I went to america last year I noticed that they sell cats as well in the petsmarts:shock::cry:

actully they are rescues,They go and take dogs and cats that are on their last days at the shelters and bring them to petsmart to get adopted.They dont keep them their 24/7,they go to the nice no kill shelter.

Pet smarts over here are really good at least n Texas they are I have never had trouble with them.Their animals are all porperly sexed and only carry 1 or 2 oh the hamster/rats/guina pigs. There staff are very animal smart and tell you all kindas of helpful info!

heres there site for the US
http://www.petsmart.com/uc/petarticles_db.jsp?ucCategory=ARTICLE&ucTopic=DOG&ucSubTopic=ADOPTION

Our petsmart never even got rabbits.

.............why cant P@H do the same in the UK ?

Copied from the House Rabbit Society's Website:

GREAT NEWS ABOUT PETSMART'S SALE OF RABBITS

12/18/07: House Rabbit Society just received word from PetSmart that they will be ceasing the test of rabbit sales in their stores, and will no longer be selling rabbits, once the current rabbits have been sold. We are thrilled with this incredible news and know that it was because of the phone calls, emails, and letters of our supporters to PetSmart that they have made this decision. Thank you for all your commitment to this issue and please let PetSmart know that you support and welcome their decision!

Give it time. Our bosses go to The US frequently to see what's happening there. Who knows what the future might hold.

actully they are rescues,They go and take dogs and cats that are on their last days at the shelters and bring them to petsmart to get adopted.They dont keep them their 24/7,they go to the nice no kill shelter.

Pet smarts over here are really good at least n Texas they are I have never had trouble with them.Their animals are all porperly sexed and only carry 1 or 2 oh the hamster/rats/guina pigs. There staff are very animal smart and tell you all kindas of helpful info!

http://www.petsmart.com/uc/petarticles_db.jsp?ucCategory=ARTICLE&ucTopic=DOG&ucSubTopic=ADOPTION

I saw a puppy store in The US and I was shocked. Breeders pass their dogs onto the puppy store and they get marked down and down until they sell. I was in NY prior to Christmas and the puppy store was packed with people.

Don't forget the scandal that happened some years ago with the PetSmarts over here.

It was texas that I visited the pens were far to small to stay in all day for a cat. They also still have shops where they sell pets from pens, about 7 dogs in a very small pen the smell was disgusting.

Back