• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is Lilly really Larry?

MaxPrimal

New Kit
Ok this may sound odd but here goes....

I have two rabbits, called Lilly and Doris. A couple of days ago I posted a message about the habbits of one of them (Doris) who the general concensious is that she is nesting with a (hopefully) phantom pregnancy.

However yesterday while I had the rabbits inside - to see how they would react to having shredded paper to play with (and eat as it turns out), I noticed that Lilly kept sniffing at the near of Doris.

Then "she" started to try and get... frisky with Doris and ended up managing to mount her at the front! As soon as an atempt to mount the rear was made Doris ran... :) Now I wonder if Lilly is really Larry and they are not acutaly the sisters we thought they where!

I put Lilly on herr back and covered her eyes (otherwise she tends to want to claw me to bits) and felt along her body to her tail and could not feel anything sticking out, which would suggest she is a male, and I have been told they are sisters by the previous owners.

Now for the stupid question. Is it only males that want to get frisky like this, or do rabbits ever exibit a desire for the same sex? I cannot believe that Humans are the only animals that exibit this trait.

---

What are the general thoughts on this. When I think about it "Lilly" is more agressive, is the one who thumps her hind her the most and seems to dominate Doris - which all strike me as male charactistics.

Where as Doris tends to seek protection from Lilly (i.e Lilly on the outer edge nearer potential danger and Doris behind. Doris is also the one who moves the straw/bedding around in the hutch and decides where it goes. She is also currentl digging yet another hole in the flowerbed (her fifth try) which I will need to fill in again :(

Thanks

Max

How old are they? Both males and females have teats so feeling along their bodies wont give you any answers. You need to check the genitals and if they're over about 4months a male will generally have testicles and they are pretty obvious either side of the genital area.

Don't panic though, dominant females will mount other females to show them who's boss. It does sound like they are ready to be neutered ;)

Back