• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

"Rabbit" hutch in Tescos - 3ft long

Mad Bunster

Mama Doe
I was in a different Tescos to my usual one today and spotted the smallest hutch i've ever seen. Its being advertised on the sign as a "Rabbit hutch" although the packaging only labels it as an animal house. I've found it on their website and yep, its only 3ft long, and another shock - its £90!!

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.100-7479.aspx

Hopefully the ridiculous price will put people off buying it - but i did have a word with the Customer Service desk and the helpful lady said "well people have probably already complained to HQ, so we'll get told to take it off sale anyway"

Don't the new animal welfare laws prevent this sort of thing? I'm going to write to HQ and the branch too - anyone else care to join in?

Has anyone been in touch with the RWA about it? If not that would be a good place to start as they are an 'official' organisation they may be able to chat with tesco hq and see if they can give them some info on what's suitable.

Tamsin

How can this be bigg enough for ANY bunny whatever size...
It is 3ft long... how can a poor bunny have enough space in there?
I might just send am email to Tesco and tell them that this is DISCUSTING!:censored::censored::censored::censored:

Its not as bad as the 2ft 3 inch indoor cage, theyre selling in their stores though..... described as being suitable for a small rabbit, with a hole no rabbit could get through and a HUGE water bottle:?... its only £16 so plenty of unsuspecting people will be buying it to prison their buns in.

Its useful as emergengy GP accomodation, but thats it.

Aaaahhhh I was just in tesco myself and saw an "indoor cage" a mere 70cmx40x40....i suspect this is the one doncat mentioned, it was disgraceful. i have had fishtanks bigger than that. :censored:

Aaaahhhh I was just in tesco myself and saw an "indoor cage" a mere 70cmx40x40....i suspect this is the one doncat mentioned, it was disgraceful. i have had fishtanks bigger than that. :censored:

Yep thats the one, I actually took it out the box and examined it, its ridiculous and smaller than my hamsters cage.:censored:

I noticed this in my branch and complained to the manager who happened to go past, but think that if everyone complained to Head Office, it would make a difference. They seem to have a big push on just now geared towards pets. The cage is labelled for small rabbits, but people will buy it for a baby bun and then never change it. It is so cruel and perpetuated the myth that pets are cheap. If someone only pays £16 for a cage I very much doubt they will pay £100 for a decent hutch and all the rest of stuff you need to make your bun happy.

There's a RWA first alert come out about this today, so it looks as if someone (from here?) has been in contact with the RWA about this. They said that they took this up with Tesco last year and didn't get a very good response so suggest that everyone takes the time to write individually to Tesco to express their concerns, as hopefully mass complaints will make them listen!

complain about tiny rabbit hutches sold by Tesco Direct

Thanks for the e-mail address. I have complained.
This is the e-mail I 've sent. Hope it's OK?
Will let you know what reply I get -if any. -Sue

Sent: 21 January 2008 13:04:21
To: customer.service@tesco.co.uk

Dear Sirs
I have been online to Tesco direct and am horrified at the tiny 3ft rabbit hutches (cat no 100-7479(size 91cm long) and also(cat no 100- 2262 (size 116cm long)) you are offering for sale as "suitable" for pet rabbits. This is worse than in some small pet shops!!
The RSPCA recommends hutches be at least 6ft long (180cmx90cmx75cm). It states for a pair of rabbits because rabbits are normally kept in pairs, but the same size applies for a single rabbit, as a rabbit should have enough room to behave normally in standing upright to clean itself and being able to take 3hops to stretch its legs. This is IN ADDITION to having a run or being allowed to run around the garden. This is the minimum cruelty-free accomodation.
Rabbits should as much as possible be kept in pairs and are classified by vets as an exotic breed. Do you supply leaflets on rabbit care explaining this to your customers when you sell these hutches?
Shame on you!-You are a large organisation and have no excuse for not finding out about the welfare of rabbits before making your purchases.
(I am particularly dismayed at this, as Tescos have had a positive approach to ending animal cruelty in the past, by having their own range of household goods and make-up not tested on animals).

I have no idea where you get these tiny hutches from but they are not suitable and your buyers should speak with the RSPCA or other animal welfare association to ensure that their products are cruelty free. Please put this right as soon as possible?

Please could you tell me when you are going to withdraw these inadequate hutches from sale and replace them with hutch sizes as recommended by the RSPCA.?

If you are not going to comply with the recommendations of the RSPCA please could you tell me why not?

Yours truly

They have responded to my email and said that they take on board any customers concerns. They said they will discuss it and get back to me.

I've just finished putting together my email too after a bit of research on the Animal Welfare Legislation.

What a great response to this by everyone, lets hope they sit up and take notice now.

Oh and thanks for finding hte email address, they kept that hidden when I looked! :?

Back