• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

urgent advice-low temperature

bunny mad lisa

Mama Doe
just come back from the emergency vet. My bun Izzy hasn't eaten all day and has been lying down. i thought it may be a gas attack. The vet took vet temperature which is 97 which is low, he said i need to get her warmed up straight away. I wasn't too impressed by him though and i had to ask him to give metrochlophmide (sorry for spelling)to help get the guts moving, he also gave her baytril. He did say he could keep her in but my gut feeling was to take care of her myself. I still have her in her pet carrier with a snugglesafe and am preparing a cage inside. I have put blakets in and a heat pad underneath. Anything else i should do. I'm just worried i'll not get her warm enough or she'll get too hot! i don't want to stress her too much either. I'm going to syringe her some water with probiotic in. i wondered if i should also give her some metacam. She seems very alert but is wanting to ly down. what are the signs if her temp gets lower? limp, eyes closed?

thansk, any advice will be much appreciated

Heya, sorry your bun isn't well and I apologise for saying this, but your vet sounds pants!! :? To not give her any gut stimulant without your having to ask is terrible!! It's important you keep her hydrated so keep offering her water and syringe it to her as necessary, I'd agree if the vet hasn't given her any pain killer to give her some metacam. If her temp is low you do need to help get it up again, just make sure she has room to move away from the heat pad if she wants to. You'll need to syringe feed her every couple of hours as well if she is still not eating of her own accord. Try tempting her with her favourite foods as well as the recovery. Good Luck.

Certainly give her some painrelief.

Make sure she has room to move of the snugglesafe if she gets too hot and syringe feed her plenty of warm water to keep her guts lubricated and the contents hydrated.

Gentle tummy rubs in small circular motions moving down the tummp from below the rib cage should help too.

Does the vet think its bloat or stasis (or bloat induced stasis)? If its gas then Infacol may also be helpful.

thanks everyone! i'm pleased to say that within a couple of hours of getting her warm she started eating again. this morning she seems fine. the vet said i could take her back today which i shall do just to get her temperature taken

yes i think the vet was pants too!! luckily i am quite experienced and knew what to do and keep metacam in. i even said to him could it be a fur ball as she is long haired and he she it was unlikely and didn't say much when i told him i had lost a rabbit to a fur ball. he didn't even feel her stomach properly.

i'm just happy she is o.k and hopefully i won't have the pleasure of having to see that vet again!

Back