• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not sure if she's ill or not u/d she's now fine - go glad

NickieM

Warren Veteran
Went out to clean out hutch today and noticed that Gloria had a matted bit of fur so got a brush mitt and brushed her a bit. She didn't seem too bothered which surprised me. Later in the day, I went out and I noticed her lying on her stomach. Went to give her a noserub and she didn't run away like I expected. She went under the hutch and I was able to stroke her without her moving. This made me wonder if she's feeling OK. She went over to her favourite corner and I gave her a little sprig of Brocolli, but she wouldn't eat it. Alarm bells are now flashing.

I have brought her into the kitchen in the single hutch and put it against the radiator. Given her a bowl of water, pellets, hay and a few bits of spring greens to tempt her. But I don't know whether she is just upset at coming into the house and being handled or if she is ill. I have felt her tummy and it feels like a tummy to me. What do I look for? It is quite round but not hard. She feels warm and is quite perky. She's inspecting her hutch and ripped up all the newspaper in her carrier while I got the hutch arranged. I'm not sure if I am over-reacting.

Sunday

She ate something last night and did two little pellets. Looked fed up indoors so as it was fine here let her go outside. She did some poos and ate some pellets. She has been hopping around and looks happy - even a binky or two. Hopefully it was just me being over-protective as I had a bun go the GI stasis way before so panicked.

Last edited:
Update

Have brought her into the kitchen in a hutch. Have checked her ears and they are wam. Given her tummy a knead. She has drunk some water and has eaten two leaves of Spring Greens. She has hopped about the hutch a bit but is sitting in the bed bit probably because it is stressful being indoors. She doesn't seem to be hunched over so I think I might have over-reacted. Will see if she has poo'd tomorrow.

Don't know if she has poo'd cos they do it in the corner of their outdoor run or in their bed and I don't whose is whose! I know that she did a wee and when I looked it wasn't a strange colour or anything.

She seems a bit brighter so fingers crossed.

youve done the best thing bringing her in where you can monitor her feed water intake and poo and wee output..
i had to do this with bif whose on bio lapis for 3 weeks after unbonding herself and attacking the buns getting gi stasis and ripping out two toenails!
shes also been hunched up uiet etc and today we found mites...none of the others have em so its a sign of being stresed and unwell..

i hope she picks up soon..good luck

Back