• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I can't clean Sorrel's abscess any more

clutterydrawer

Wise Old Thumper
I'm meant to flush Sorrel's abscess with hibiscrub once a day and have done so since october with a bit of mild struggling but nothing too serious.

Now, its a complete nightmare. Last night I wrapped a towel three times round her, knelt down with my knees on the edges of the towel and her between them, and she STILL got away as soon as I even touched it. (It's underneath her jaw. )

I'm worried she's going to get really poorly if I can't clean it; do any of you have any suggestions?

I would get your Vet to reassess the abscess. Sorrel may now be in pain which is why she wont let you flush it out. Is she on any pain relief/antibiotics ?

Janex

shes on baytril but shes been on it for three months :shock: so i would have thought the bacteria would be resistant to it by now? no pain relief thoguh.

i am thinking she must be in pain because she has starting grinding her teeth when I try to clean it which she's never done before.

I was going to nip to the vet on monday anyway cos I have a suspicion she has mites...so I'll get her checked over then.

Thanks Jane :wave:

shes on baytril but shes been on it for three months :shock: so i would have thought the bacteria would be resistant to it by now? no pain relief thoguh.

i am thinking she must be in pain because she has starting grinding her teeth when I try to clean it which she's never done before.

I was going to nip to the vet on monday anyway cos I have a suspicion she has mites...so I'll get her checked over then.

Thanks Jane :wave:

Oh bless her it is obviously very painful if she's tooth grinding :cry:
Is there any way you could get to speak with a Vet today to get some pain relief for her ?

Janex

when Maa had her head abscess, the first thing the vet did was get a swab of the pus analysed - it showed that baytril was useless for that particular bacterium, and suggested some alternatives - we used metronidazole and within a week the abscess had gone.

I can't handle Maa and was unable to clean the abscess at all - you have done brilliant managing so far! I took Maa to the vet a couple of times a week and they cleaned it with no anaesthetic - it was either that or have her PTS - strangely 2 of the vets refused to clean it without anaesthetic, but yet expected me to do so at home :roll:

It does sound like Sorrel needs pain relief, and that her immune system is generally run down if she's getting mites or whatever - see if your vet will at least try metronidazole as it works on anaerobic bacteria. It didn't upset Maa's stomach at all, but a probiotic wouldn't hurt. We gave her half a crushed tablet a day for a week.

Sorry guys I forgot to reply to this yesterday as it was all a bit hectic thanks for all your help....we're of to the vets in an hour so I will ask about different abx etc.

I read that probiotics arent effective because the high pH of a rabbit's stomach renders them useless - is this incorrect?

true :D

We went to the vet, she gave us some metacam and said to keep her on that for a few days and see how she goes. It seems odd to treat the pain without addressing the cause of the increase of the pain and I couldnt get a good explanation of why it would have suddenly become more painful. Really I would like them to do a culture of the abscess wall and use that to determine with abx to use really but she was all "no, baytril will be fine, it's what we always use". :? she did say that if there was no improvement she might try her on something that counded like "septrin" - does anyone have any info on this?

She offered to clean the abscess under GA aswell but I said no because I don't really want her under GA unless its absolutely crucial, was this the right thing to do?

your vets response is appalling :shock: Her first line of treatment way back should have been a culture test - it's not like it's a big favour they're doing as you are paying for it! cost me £30 but it was money well spent - absolutely. I would go elsewhere if my vet had that attitude :?

we have used septrin before .
used it twice for abssessess .
once it worked ...
once it didnt :?:(

i agree a culture test would probably be best :?

Back