• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How often do you put in fresh hay?

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hi
I was wondering how often you guys put fresh hay into the rabbits hutch. I chuck away about half of the hay I put in there because they have peed and pooed on it. Hay is in their bedroom, and two litter trays. How often shall I change it?

I give them the hay they eat each day :D And the meadow hay they are only sleeping in and not eating so I leave it all in the bedroom part until the proper clean oit each week :D They dont pee on it though x

It's better to put in too much than too little, right? I always worry that they won't have enough so put in handfuls and handfuls of the stuff and it's costing me a fortune, especially as I can't get the hay so easily these days. :roll:

Yep thats what im doing, they are getting a bag of oxbow timothy hay each everyday and eating it all so I wouldnt put less in. It is really expensive and getting hold of it here is a pain :(

Muppet's indoors so I go for the "little and often" approach. Or overnight/when going out, I give him as much as I think he'll eat before I come back to top up. He only has hay for eating, not bedding, which makes it easier.

I find that if the same heap of hay is there for too long, he gets bored with it and wants the novelty of a fresh heap :roll: I got fed up with putting out a huge handful only to end up throwing half of it away, so now it's more medium handfuls more frequently.

Well, three of my four need lots of fresh hay daily in their hayracks... the fourth, he doesn't need fresh because he's refusing to eat it... but he gets fresh anyway. :roll: It's him being an awkward male. The other three are female and eat all I give them, but noooo... Not Barney.

Once a day for the outside bunnies, fill up their hay rack and one of the litter trays (mind you the floor is covered in it at the mo.

For indoors I top it up whenever I notice it going down. They have it in a hay rack.

They get a top up every night at bedtime, they're bedded in hay anyway so it doesn't matter so much if they don't get a top up.

Sometimes I'll give them a handful during the day, depends on how guilty they make me feel ;):lol:

thumper has hay in his bed part bit he doesnt eat it or pee or poop on it so change it every few weeks.has a hay rack that is filled up every day.x

i've been filling up their hay rack everyday, but they've taken to pulling it all out onto the floor and leaving it :roll: so i've been topping up their litter box with this along with fresh hay when needed.

Alvin refuses a hay rack, i have 3 litter trays and every morning i put a big handfull in the corner of each.... sometimes of a lunch time atleast 1 needs more.. another handful in each when i get home from work and then a top up before bed.... both my babies love thier hay and pearl seems to be a HUGE hay eater... very very pleased :)

Thanks for all the replies. It seems that my girls also like the novelty of fresh hay cos whenever I put fresh hay down, they eat it like they're starved (which is obviously not true!!). Maybe I should fill it up little and often as I go to see them about 5 times a day anyway.

I've found if I pile it in they tend to sit on it and poo on it and when I come to clean out there is lots of fresh hay underneath they have missed :roll: so nowadays I just give little but often, sometimes 3 times a day, at least twice, morning and evening and they seem to eat more ! :D

I've got metal balls to put hay in and they love them. Do you think I should just use one of these for their hay and then hay in their bedroom? I could get rid of one litter tray in their hutch which kinder cramps the space they have.

I get through stacks, as they have 2 large litter trays that are emptied and filled once a day each (rotated). They eat loads, but also a lot gets wasted where they have peed and pooed on it. :roll:

Last edited:
I just dump hay on the floors & in the litter trays twice a day & they attack it like they haven't eaten in a week. :roll: They waste more than they eat

My rabbits are pretty good at eating all their hay, so even if I fill up the hayrack every day or every other day, I've never had to remove any of it. I do take out anything that's on the ground while cleaning the cage though.:D

mine have hay 3x a day and i put it in their litter tray so they poop while eating.They eat loads of hay but i get bales locally so its not that expensive and the hay is good

I usually put a light covering of cheaper meadow hay on top of the megazorb in the litter tray then put the better quality dust free hay in a hay rack. I fill up the rack twice a day. They tend to pull some of it out of the rack on floor so i just sweep that up and put it in the litter tray. I don't use hay for bedding. They have a cardboard box with two small holes which they sleep in and 'modernise'. They are in the shed too so protected frrom cold.

Back