• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I have just had a right shock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

amber26

Warren Scout
I was cleaning my birds out and my rabbits live in a 3 tier hutch one is blocked up because we found out one of our supposed girls was a boy and the other two are girls anyway i was cleaning the birds and the rabbits were having a run around boy was in the house so he could have a run anyway i finished them and started on the girls imangen my surprise when i seen something moving i screamed thinking it was a rat :censored: it wasn't its 4 healthy babies

have you double checked that the girls living together are defo girls check with your vet, also be careful not to hanndel the babies unless you smell of mum (rub hands in nest) as otherwise mum could reject them. what are your plans now? rabbits take 4 weeks to produce a litter after mating....has the boy cage been next to the females as i remember someone on here had some mate through the bars....

He did till we found out he was a boy i took them in has 12 weeks old an was told by the vet they were all girls the boy isnt living with them now :censored:

How stupid can i be groan the boy is being neuctured soon and the girls soon after i am going to be looking for homes for the babies with people i know

if the two girls are together separate them but find out which ones mum first check to see whos producing milk if you dont know how to do this take both to the vets. i would get the boy neutered to avoid future accidents. also in future when sexing rabbits get a second opinion from a vet :)

The two living together are defo girls we got them, checked at the vet different one this time

Dad lives in the top hutch he has got no way off getting to them

I am going to do right by them thats all i can do :( at least they are sweet i found out who is mum

Got a question for you ? when can i clean them out i was in the middle of cleaning them out when i relised she had babies they look new born to me or at least a day or two i called my partner and he told me to leave her she lives in the shed and its heated with light

Will two girls live together ok if one has had babies? I think if it was me I would remove the other girl for now, I might be wrong though

But it seeme like they were two different nests one with 4 in and one with 2 ? :shock: i am a bit confused myself i must admit i haven't really gone digging i only got to look cos mum was eating parsley with her sister in the shed i was cleaning her hutch and i had a peep :?

I'm confused too. Are we sure that they are not two separate litters from each girl? if so both mummy's will need to feed babies

I am not quite sure but i let the other rabbit back in with her sister and she went straight to the babies :shock: anyway don't seem to have starved i think the other rabbit was feeding them all babies had full bellies

The nests were right next together the two girls seem to be working together ?:?:

If they are seperate litters though couldn't that be dangerous to keep them all together? I mean will they each attack the others babies? I would be very careful if it was me.

To be honest i don't know hat to do the litters are right next together both mums come to you there is no hostilty

But i don't know if i should move a litter they are only 5 days old would she reject them ?

I might ring the vet

Back