• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What Can I Do?? Stray Bunny

Kirsty&Lola

Mama Doe
Ill try and keep this short:

Ive just had a stray agouti lionhead bunny in my garden. I was on my own at the time but tried so hard to catch it as i have been trying for a week now (my mum saw it on the street 2 days ago) It ran under the gate and into next door's garden and then the one after that. It ate some pellets that i put out and seems in a good condition. My mum came down to help but by the time she got here it had gone again.

I know where the bun has come from as 3 weeks ago i saw a stray REW and tried to catch it. I knocked on some doors and got the same answer "the woman on the street behind lets them out and says they come back for food":censored:

I dont know what to do. I can't catch it as it runs away and i dont want to keep chasing it and have it run into the road. I'm hoping that now ive fed it, it will come back and i can try again. If i do catch it i dont want to advertise for the owner, is this wrong?? I just know she isn't looking after them properly! Unfortunately we can't keep it here and i dont want to put more strain on a rescue, but i dont want to send it back to its owner - this is all relying on the fact that it comes back into my garden and i have more success at catching it.

All thoughts are welcome and also any tips for catching stray bunny's??

oh dear thats awful :? You could contact teh RSPCA for advice or maybe ask for an inspector to come out as its pretty irresponsible to just let their pet rabbits run around wild :evil: Hope the bunny comes back so you can try again. Do you have any run panels or something you can put along the area where it gets in/out of your garden so that when it comes in you can block the escape route up and have a better chance of catching it. Keep us updated ;)

I think your right about the RSPCA...i can't not do anything. I did have a fireguard panel against the bottom of the gate but it squeezed behind it. It seemed to know our garden quite well. I am just cleaning out an old pet carrier. I'm going to fill it with bedding, food and water and leave it in the garden, hopefully it will come back tnight. I feel awful for letting it get away but i just couldn't do anything else. :(

Do you think it would come to the carrier if you were there? If so, wrap up warm and sit by it to one side and wait for it to hop in for tasty food - then slam the door shut! That's usually what I have to do to catch Muppet in the bedroom :lol: Not so nice to do outdoors at this time of year tho.

Another idea - could you get close enough to throw a blanket over it? That would slow it down temporarily for you to grab it. Not something I'd recommend routinely, but desperate measures etc etc...

It seems more scared of me than being in the garden, ive put the carrier out to try and build up some trust. ive put it in a sheltered part of the garden so really hoping it will come back. can't believe the ignorance of its owner tho, they dont deserve pets. i will try the blanket idea when it hopefully comes back

Have you got a 'panel' run? They're excellent for catching strays because you can get fairly close without them getting worried.

I dont have a run as we have a house bunny. We only had the fireguard which comes apart into sections which we can use as panels. I have been wandering the streets today trying to spot it because if i can i can ring the RSPCA with a definate sighting. if i can't catch it myself. I have a little set up in my garden with food and shelter so im hoping it will come back. i will definately keep trying

what can i do...stray bunny.

This owner doesn,t deserve to get her bunny back:evil:I do hope you manage to catch him before a fox does:cry:
You could try asking a local rescue if they could lend you a trap:)
good luck:)

Back