• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Putting rabbits on the lawn

I have just received delivery of a lovely big run with little house for the garden and my two rabbits had a lovely time running around and eating grass. They didn't try to burrow which was great. Reading my book though, it says that too much grass is not good for them, is this right? If so how long should I allow them on the grass. They really like it as it makes a change from the run under their cage.

Grazing grass all day is fine but you just have to introduce them slowly if they aren't used to it, although in my experience ive never had probs with any rabbit of mine going straight onto fulltime grazing.
Its winter aswell so the nutrients quality/quantity won't be high like in summer.
If you can slowly increase the time spent on grass then great, say over the next 4 weeks increase the time on grass by half hour every couple of days?
Still put plenty of hay in too so they eat both.

Im sure they will be fine though :D

agree with above rabbits love grass just introduce them gently and slowly like any new food little by little...ie increase time slowly. never had probs with mine either.

:roll:just keep an eye on what comes out! if it is a bit sticky they have had too much too soon. Should be ok as it is winter and grass is not particularly rich at the moment. You may find they drink quite a bit less water than usual especialy if the grass is damp.

The good news is -you will probably never have to mow the lawn again!:) - we never mowed the lawn when we had 2 bunnies. Now we only have one its too much for her to manage, but we may get her a companion when she's fully recovered from myxi-Sue

If introduced slowly, they can be on grass for however long. Usually, rabbits only eat at dawn and dusk, not during the day so they are not eating that much grass anyway.

Back