• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Decisions on Dutch Girls

honeybunny

Wise Old Thumper
Due to poor little Cracker passing away under ga, I have made the decsion not to neuter her two sisters..
I know this puts them at risk of uterine cancer but cannot face losing another of them at their young age..
They were rescued from being used for live bait and so really deserve to know a loving forever home for a few years..
Hope you all understand this decision and know I totally support neutering and have not made this decision lightly.
Santa and Fig are now starring on the in need section and are looking for a wonderful new mum and dad:D

Last edited:
I agree Jill, I did it with Dorris, luckily they brought her back quick and said they may have a go with gas, I was like nah just leave it, she's got a happy home with neutered buck and she's happy. :D

awww hun must be torture to make such a hard choice.... i wouldnt risk them either if they was in my care...im sure their new mom and dad will love them if theyve had the op or not xxxxxx

Some years ago, before I understood the importance of spaying - my two rabbit siblings, Blossom and Sophie, were not spayed.

Blossom lived a fair age (7ish) before we lost her to myxi. Spaying would not have prolonged her life. Her sister Sophie survived until about 8 1/2. Not sure what took her though.

I am sure you are doing the right thing under the circumstances.

I totally agree with your decision, Jill. Had they been mine (wishful thinking!) I don't think I would have been able to bring myself to have the other two spayed after losing Cracker due to something that COULD possibly be congenital and put them at risk of the same fate. It's not always easy to know what is to do for the best......but I would have made exactly the same decision were I in your shoes.

Some years ago, before I understood the importance of spaying - my two rabbit siblings, Blossom and Sophie, were not spayed.

I had the same, not knowing any different I had Kelly and Gem who lived to be 6+ and 7+.

hard decision to make but you are certainly not commiting them to an inevitable outcome. I think anyone would do the same x

Good call Jill. They might get uterine cancer, they might not make it through the op - you're giving them the best chance at a happy life and I know you'll make sure they go to the right home. :D

Back