• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Peeing in their bed

NickieM

Warren Veteran
How do I stop my rabbits peeing in their bed. With weather so horrible, I like to put tons of hay in their bed, but everyday, I need to change their bed cos they pee on it. I have tried putting a tray in their sitting area with a pee'd on paper in it and moved in some of their poos, but they totally ignored it.

They have a large tray in their bed to make bedding changes easy and today I have picked up a tip from the site and left the corner free from hay and just with wood shavings. Is there anything else I can do?

They are outside buns who live all the time outside. They are free to come and go in their compound from 8.00 am to about 4.00 pm and then are in their hutch overnight.

Any advice would be gratefully received

I've found with all my bunnies that wherever I put hay, they pee!
They are perfectly litter trained apart from this, so in the summer it's not a problem, but like you, in the winter I like them to have lots of bedding.
For my smaller ones I just use an underbed storage box to fill with hay, and just accept the fact it'll need changing every day.....not much help really:oops::lol:

My rabbits are the same. I now have three litter trays, two in the bedroom and one in their favourite corner and they still go everywhere. I have stopped putting hay in the living area and they are getting better in there and they never make a mess when we bring them in the house for a short play which is great.
What suprised me was how much they poo! They both eat lots of hay and produce a large number of poos is this normal?
As for keeping them warm I cover the hutch with old carpet and have bought one of those snuggle safe heat up pads which I put in each night. I'm not sure if they use it but i feel better knowing its there if they need it.

I have the bed-end of their hutch covered with an old carpet and then the whole top has a large bit of old floor vinyl on to keep the rain off. I thought about putting a snuggle thing in their bed but they don't seem to sit in their bedroom very often. I think they use it as a toilet. If I am up in the middle of the night to go to the loo, I have a look at their hutch from the kitchen window using a torch and they are always sitting in the wired area. I think they sleep there. Funny animals. After I discovered that, I put hay down through the whole hutch area so at least they were warm. Funnily, they don't pee in there at all. Maybe they think they have an en-suite!!!

I have this problem - poppy used to be very well litter trained but then she forgot all about it:roll:. Now to keep her warm i fill a big basket with straw, turned it upside down and cut a hole in it . it needs changing all the time but it saves filling the entire hutch whist still keeping her snug. :)

Back