• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please pray for Angel....

Our 1 and a half year old house bunny Angel was admitted to the vet hospital today after showing signs of stasis on Wednesday - was treated with motility grugs/stomach palpitations etc... but still no eating/productions of droppings. The only positive is that she wasn't showing any pain signs - no hunching/crunching teeth etc...

She had an xray today, and she has ileus, where there is no movement at all of the gut. They are giving her intradermal fluids, keeping her warm, syringe feeding her critical care mix and high doses of gut motility drugs but say it's 50/50 - have been crying so much as I am so scared we are going to lose her.

We've to phone again in the morning...

thank you so much, keep looking at her bonded partner Merlin, he's such a gentle wee boy and wish we could explain what's going on to him....I know he wonders where she is

Sending mega get well vibes for Angel
Please keep us posted about her. I am sure you must be desperately worried

Janex

oh i really hope bunny comes home soon i know exactly hw you feel we've just got miffy home after a bout of gut stasis that lasted 2 weeks but she's back home now for the 3rd time and hopping round everywhere and being her general cheeky self. I really hope you have some good news too

((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))

(((((((((((((VIBES))))))))))))))

I hope Angel has improved for you today.

I went throught this at Christmas with Katy where her tummy was full and it would not pass any further. She made it after a very worrying 8 days and is bouncing around outside now.

Lots of eating and pooping vibes coming your way.

thanks everyone xx, this means a lot.

We went to visit her at the vets today and she is still acting fine, pretty perky and not withdrawn or showing evidence of pain or discomfort. We gave her lots of cuddles and kisses - but still no poos have been passed...it's now been since Wednesday.

She was, however, eating dandilion leaves the vet nurse had given her, and once we'd got them to switch the water bottle for a water bowl, she was drinking fine on her own from this. They put her in a bigger pen, as she's a very big girl, and she was hopping around inside it too.

The impaction in her gut is still being treated with gut motility jags, intra dermal fluids and she's being hand fed critical care mix via syringe, so they're doing all they can at the moment. She's warm and bright eyed and responsive, but just needs to poo....

They say it's ileum - where the muscles in the colon have just stopped moving, and it's a waiting game to see whether all this supportive care will cause them to start up again. I feel so helpless, and swing between 'we're going to lose her' and 'she'll be okay'...

We're going in again tomorrow morning and we can take Merlin, her bonded partner in to visit too - he's wondering where she is :(

Will keep you all updated, thanks again

Back