• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mollys abscess is back... for the third time

suzy_d

Alpha Buck
Hello,

Title says it all. Found a lump about 1cm diameter under mollys ear (same place as last time), i took him to the vets where it was confirmed it had come back again despite 2 operations to surgically remove it and being on peniciillin injections. Since it was only 10 weeks since his last major op, both myself and my vet decided putting him through surgery wouldn't do him any good, as he has been through two already. Now, we have decided to lance the abscess and clean it that way. Hes been at the vets all morning having it lanced and cleaned and the vet has just rang and said hes fine and i can go and pick him up.

Just a question regarding manuka honey, I was to use it this time and didnt know the best way of applying it after iv cleaned his ear? do I apply it just once or once/twice a day?

Any help appreciated. Please send vibes and kisses for my little fluffybum

xxx

Oh flippin' 'eck abscesses can be so :censored: to resolve

Has Molly had a skull xray to see if the source of infection can be identified ?

Janex

Hiya Suzy_D

I'm so sorry to hear about little Molly, sending a snuggle to her - Abscess problems are so worrying and as you know my lovely Buffy has been having similar problems to Molly.

Our Vet lanced Buffy's Ear Abscess approx 4 weeks ago now and "touch wood":roll: she is doing fine - she is having Antiobiotic Injections every three days and so far they seem to be keeping the Ear Abscess at bay, I found that it was quite good to use a syringe with the Manuka Honey as you can then direct it to where you need it to go more easily - Buffy has quite a taste for it now - kinda her treat for being such a good bunster when having her meds.

Sending hugs and vibes to your girlie Molly.

X

why vets dont suggest this treatment is beyond me one of my rabbits got an abcess i spoke to a friend of mine who is a vet for mainly large animals cattle,horses that kind of thing i noticed it on Lola bunny my dalmation rex when it was tiny and hard at this point he said he would not touch it!!!:shock: Until it became soft and fluidy so i and lola had to wait it didnt seem to bother her but it must of, it was on the rump! when it did eventually go sqiuggy it was the size of a golf ball he then said bring her in and we ll clean it up they put her under a local made an incession got everything out salt watered it, But left the hole open he said for any excess stuff to come out he also had sqirted into the wound penacillin and gave me some and said squirt it in every day for 7 days if the wound closes soak it with warm salt water to soften the scab and it will come away without hurting her!
now i done wat he said she didnt like it but she didnt seem to be in pain when i was doing it no screaming or scraberling to get away didnt even have to restrain her to do it she just sat there but she has never ever had an abcess since obviously it would be completly different for dental because thier ment to hav an allergy to it if i remember! but the vet said rubbing it into a wound works even better than an injection or orally!

Last edited:
I used to syringe Manuka honey directly into Benny's open wound (once cleaned out) together with a combination of other recommended homeopathic remedies after surgery and Duphapen injections failed. I would highly recommend it as it worked on Benny's abscess.

Back