• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice - Is it normal??

Photielou

Warren Scout
Hi,

My bun Flump has had problems with her eyes for a couple of weeks now - she's had an eye duct flush but that wasn't sucessful they are still weepy.

I have noticed aswell that the clear bit on her eye that come across is really red and looks bloodshot?! Any ideas?? Bit worried - they look really sore? Anyone had this is there bun? :?

I have got drop maxitol but don't seem to be doing anything?

Laura

When my bun had weepy eyes he had to have his tear ducts flushed out a couple of times before it was OK. He also had a couple of lots of drops, the one that worked for him was Tiacil. This was 18 months ago and he is OK now.

We also changed his bed from hay to fleece blankets in case it was caused by dust.

Have your buns teeth been checked, this can be a reason for eye problems.

Thanks - she had her teeth checked last week when she had a flush and the vets said she was fine - I think mayb the drops are not havin any effect!

She sleeps on a blanket now - think I mite ring the vets in the morning

Thanks

I agree with the above.

You could also try Optrex eyewash (or Boots own-brand), just flush her eye with some in a sterile syringe. This worked really well when I had a guinea pig with reccurent eye trouble.

Yeah, the vets may change the drops. They normally give mine one in an orange tube first (begins with an F) but have never had much luck with that but the Tiacil did seem to do the trick.

Good luck.

It sounds like she may have conjunctivitis. I've not used Maxitrol but from what I have read its a steroid based anti-inflammatory which contains two antibiotics although its primary use is to prevent infection occuring rather than treat an active infection.

Has your vet ever tried Tiacil or Fucithalmic? Im wondering why s/he has selected Maxitrol (unless its purely for its anti-inflammatory action).

I think I'll ring the vets in the morning and say the drops aren't doing anything - to be honest I wondered why he gave me them again when they didn't do anythin for her b4 the eye duct flush! :?

Got an appointment in the morning for Flump - spoke to the Vets and told them I think she needs new drops - looked up conjuctivitus Sooz and the symptoms are just like Flumps, So glad I got her in! Her eyes are really red and look sore! Needs lots of cuddles tonight!

Thanks again - I love this site! :wave:

Thanks Sooz22, these are the two that are normally given to mine. I found Tiacil worked better on mine.

Tiacil is effective against some bacteria which Fucithalmic is not. We have tried a combination of Tiacil and oral Baytril with a few rabbits before, to cover all the bases.

Back