• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits fighting

MaxPrimal

New Kit
Hi everyone.

Got another question. Just went out to give the rabbits some carrot and put their bowl of mix in the lower section and one of the rabbits wasn't too keen on coming out which I think is to do with me (as I know the both do not like me). I opened the roof up to try and temp her out and when she did move I noicted there was what I think is a lot fur in the hay which I think is from just one of the rabbits (one is more agressive than the other). I quickly brought them in and cannot see any major missing patches of fur on either of them.

I below are a couple of links to some pics I just took to show you all. The fur is sitting on a chair for a 4 year old (i.e my daughter). I think there is a lot there but being new to rabbits I do not know. They still appear to be eating okay but my wife will check and let them out of the hutch this afternoon.

Any thoughts are really welcomed as this amount of fur as shocked me!

Thanks everyone.

Max

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii120/Ebayer_5621341/DSC00164.jpg

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii120/Ebayer_5621341/DSC00165.jpg

I had the same thing,a hutch full of fur but it was a nest she was making.Are they both male?have they been neutered?
jackie

sounds like a pregnancy, phantom or real - my girls make nests occasionally and are reluctant to leave them for a couple of days, even though there are no babies - if I feed them on the nest, and leave the nest untouched for a week or so they are fine with me clearing it all away eventually, whereas if you remove it they get distressed and will build another one - they'll pluck their partner for fur as well as themselves, but their partners seem very tolerant of this behaviour so it shouldn't start a fight.

PS - not sure of the history to these bunnies but if she could be pregnant for real, make sure to split them as she'll give birth a day or 2 after building a nest, and will be able to get pregnant again immediately she's given birth.

Last edited:
They are both girlies I think so it looks as if one of them is having a phantom pregnancy - if one of them is more hormonal then this may tie in with the grunting sounds you mention in an earlier thread.

Welcome to the forum :wave:. I have learnt so much by joining.

That definately looks like nest building fur. Phantom pregnancy especially with the grunting mentioned in another post.

Chances are they won't be spayed. But it could be something else.

Yep, looks like an attempt at nest building. What sex are the rabbits and how old are they?

Are you 100% sure of the rabbits sexes? Its so common for them to be sold mis-sexed.

Also have they been neutered?

Are you 100% sure of the rabbits sexes? Its so common for them to be sold mis-sexed.

Also have they been neutered?

Well I cannot see anything dangling underneath either of them! :) I was told that they where sisters when we got them and they had both been spayed. I don't suppose there is any easy way of telling they have have been done is there?

Question about the nest that one appears to be doing - and now you say it I notice it is the one who did a LOT of digging in the garden and she tends to bury herself in the hay...

Regarding leaving it alone, do I just continue to top up the hay each day and what if it becomes damp as I notice the spend a lot of time in the hay area and have been to toilet there in the past. What do I do in these cases?

Thanks for all the help so far, it has made me feel a LOT better and less worried!

Max

Your vet can run a scan to see if the reproductive organs are still intact. Personally I have not heard of this behaviour in a speyed doe except incases where part of the uterine tissue has been accidentally left behind by the operating vet.

If you remove the nest she will make another so leave it until she looses interest. It can take a couple of weeks for a phantom to go full circle. She may also start to produce milk.

Back