• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Flying with a rabbit?

MacGyver Bunny

Warren Scout
My job recently informed me I was being transferred to Fort Lauderdale, Florida from Detroit, Michigan.

I could not imagine trying to keep a rabbit in a cage small enough to fit in the back seat of my car for the 2 day trip it will take for me to drive down there.

Working for an airline, I have unlimited flight benefits and can fly him down there. Has anyone ever flown with a rabbit? How do they handle the pressure changes? Did you do anything special to prepare them for the trip? He would be in the carrier about 3-4 hours.

my friend had a rabbit flown in from the continent all she done was made sure it was given rescue remedy before flying to keep her calm!

I'm not worried about him getting excited. He's a very good traveler... on the ground. I worry more about the changes in pressure.

I think I'll give a call to my vet and ask her about it.

But I will think about that for my cat. She is not a good traveler at all, poor thing.

Last edited:
Elve-

Thanks for the link. Yes, me more than fits under the seat. I would NEVER place a pet in cargo, regardless of whether it is preasurized and temp. controlled or not.

He travels well in a carrier in the car, so I'm not really worried about that. My main concern is how well they adjust to the pressure changes. I still have not had a chance to speak with my vet. I will be calling her soon regarding it. Otherwise, I will driving my car down with him in a dog carrier in the back seat. I would just rather get him there and comfortable as quickly as possible.

I think there is a section on flying rabbits in the "Rabbits for Dummys" book i anyone has got it.

flying buns

friend of mine flew her (elderly) rabbit from England to Hong Kong! when she finished her PhD and was going home. She had already flown from the states to here!

I was amazed that it was fine - but thats because I am a nervous wreck when I have to fly!!!

twigs

Back