• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding bunnies

Emerlee

Warren Scout
I'm getting a new bunny this time next week, as ebony lives on her own and i'm getting her a girly to play with. I'm going to keep them in seperate hutches for the time being, but i'm planning on bonding them.

Any tips? And how long does it take?

Have you already reserved a female? if not you might be better off getting a neutered male, less chance of fighting.

Have you already reserved a female? if not you might be better off getting a neutered male, less chance of fighting.

yes, i couldn't get a neutered male anyway, i'm getting my bunny from my friend from school, she has a male but is un-neutered and at the local vets its around £70, and i dont have the money, aswell as parents not letting me.

Hi,

If your rabbit is un spayed and you also get an unaltered female they will most likely fight....doesn't matter how docile your bunny may be. They can do serious damage to one another so I would be very cautious when trying to introduce. I would also only take the rabbit on if you are prepared to keep them seperate should they not get along. It may be a better idea to take your existing bunny to a rescue to see if they have any suitable neutered males. You will have to give a donation, but I think they will be more concerned that the rabbit is going to a good home over money.

I agree, bonding girls is very difficult to do successfully even if you are an experienced rabbit 'bonder'. You would do well to get a neutered boy.

Bonding can take as little as 3 days in my experience, but needs to be done on totally neutral territory. Keep the bunnies side by side at first and monitor their reactions. If all looks well introduce them but stand by with a towel to throw over them if anything kicks off.

If you do manage to bond two bunnies, then you need to keep them somewhere neutral until the bond is really strong Sometimes a week would be long enough. An introduction back in to an area where one of the rabbits has already been living before the bond is strong can cause it to break.

Also, make sure that you have 'de-smelled' the old area with something like Simple Solution so that it seems like it's neutral.

Good luck...

Thankyou, i'll do my best. I'll try Ebony and the new bun, and if they dont get along i'll consider a neutered male, depending on my parents, although i'm prepared to look after them seperatly.

:thumb:

Back